Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Laptops - with no hook up?

I believe only the dash 12v socket runs from the starter battery and all the others run off the leisure batteries. Not sure if that's the case for all Calis as I know the 2008-on models had a slight change to the wiring e.g. replacing the hella socket with a standard 12v car type.

There's a general leccy post about the various sockets over here, which may help -> http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=454

Les said:
Aren't the 2 x 12v sockets in the rear by the side of the rear seat cup holder and in the boot from the standard multivan so are supplied by the starter battery? The cct diagram in the self learning guide only shows the hella socket supplied by the leisure batteries. Also my supplement implies the inverter is supplied by the starter battery as well.

Everything behind the B pillar (behind cab seats) is powered from the leisure batteries (yes there are two) & everything in the cab is powered from engine battery.

Hello

Just wondered if charging technology has moved on since these posts. I am looking to charge a MacBook Air when not on hook up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello

Just wondered if charging technology has moved on since these posts. I am looking to charge a MacBook Air when not on hook up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Can you just swop your uk plug to a continental one using your usual mains lead and then plug it in to the socket behind passenger seat?
I might be wrong mind !
I’ii wait for the telling off

No, because the socket does not have a round recess to take the pins, it is a squashed hexagon shape. Somewhere on the forum is a post showing how the conversion can be done.
The squashed hexagon is “Swiss” so perhaps a uk to Switzerland adapter is what you need

That inverter is not pure sine and it is limited to 150W. That means just 0.62A. The laptop I have, a bit dated and 17" has a 1.5A 240V charger. Maybe smaller and modern laptop require a bit less, but still my 9.8" ipad pro charger is 0.45A already ..
On top of having limited power, I would not use a non pure-sine inverter. I'd rather connect a 300W external pure-sine inverter to one of the LB.

I have one of these replaced one end with a UK socket and charges my laptop fine when not on hook up

I charge my MacBook Pro using a usb A to usb c lead, plugged into the 12v socket. It’s not quick, but more efficient use of power than inverter. Usually charge overnight or whilst driving. It means that laptop use is limited, but there’s enough juice for my purposes (Netflix, email/browsing, photo editing).

Hello

Thanks
You need this - https://www.laptopartstore.co.uk/ap...1-macbook-pro-a1172-a1175-a1189-p-106987.html

This will connect to the cigarette lighter socket by the side of the kitchen cabinet. The advantage with this - you are not doing 12v to 240v to 12v conversion using a 240v plug setup. Uses 12v directly and therefore is more efficient and safe as well.

Hello

Thanks

As it happens, I’ve just been researching this for a bit myself.

If your Macbook Air is one of the recent ones charging via USB-C (since 2018), then you can just get a 12V USB-C PD (Power Delivery) car charger. I used to have one by Anker (30W), which was brilliant but, for my laptop, a bit slower than the mains charger: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H4M4N5V/?tag=eliteelect-21

I now have a charger from Satechi that delivers up to 60W: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S24Y6VV/?tag=eliteelect-21

Note that for an Air you only need a 30W charger to charge as fast as the mains charger, so the Anker model would be fine. More does no damage, it’s just unnecessary expense for extra power that your laptop probably wouldn’t use.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. My Air is 2017 so has a connection like the photo and not the usb-c. I am trying the laptoppartsstore to see if they have anything suitable.BC4578D4-A0A8-40B8-8D88-D80A33219C0A_1_105_c.jpeg

Like Helenherbert I’m not up on electrics. From the shop I bought this adapter to go in the hex plug. It will power anything under 150w (which laptops usually are) from the leisure batteries. It seemed to me the easiest solution for £20. Haven’t had the chance to use it for a substantial length of time though but it does work.

Thanks for the suggestions. My Air is 2017 so has a connection like the photo and not the usb-c. I am trying the laptoppartsstore to see if they have anything suitable.View attachment 62911
@SiMain , are you able to post a pic of the connector and the laptop power slot separately. I think that is the old magsafe and the new magsafe should work. Does it push in, or attach magnetically?

It attaches magnetically. I have an earlier MacBook Air (pre 2016 I think) which has a magnetic connector that doesn't fit this one.IMG_1026.jpeg

It attaches magnetically. I have an earlier MacBook Air (pre 2016 I think) which has a magnetic connector that doesn't fit this one.View attachment 62955
SiMain, this should work for you. Check the model number matches yours.

This amazon link below has an image that should help you determine the correct one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086349FN7/?tag=eliteelect-21

K

Back