Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Exciting investment

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello everyone, my name is Mark, live in N wales and finally selling my car and want to get a camper and a vw California seems to fit the bill as its seems very practical but also has the stealth option of looking like a van so could use it for work as well.

I have 2 children (4 &8) so would love to know your thoughts before i take the plunge as its going to be a huge investment for me.

Are they good with small children as its 4 berth or does the size of the van make them go crazy on a rainy day? Are they big enough for my wife and I and the 2 kids

Im a complete amaetur and just read a california is fitted by vw themselves and vw campers are converted. Is a California worth the extra money as the converted ones look great as well and considerably cheaper but im also a beliver in you get what you pay for!

And my main question, what about toilets, how do you all overcome this.

Sorry about so many questions (i have about 100 whizzing through my head) as im bery excited but hopefully you can give me some advice on the above as there my main queries?

Thank you all and i look forward to speaking to you soon, any replies or advice would be gratefully received :-D

Mark

Hello Mark and welcome,

I will let some of our members with younger families answer your first points but:

Spec for spec I have yet to find a conversion that is cheaper than a Cali. Normally a lot of the conversions, and I talk quality reputable ones such as vanworx or jerba etc, start with a much lower spec base vehicle. I have routinely priced up conversions, both when first buying my Cali and again for when looking to replace it, and their is very little in it.

I was actually buying from a converter when I first saw a Cali. Once looked I realised there was really no choice. The Cali just fits, everything is made at the factory and it's designed from the base vehicle upwards.

As for toilets: There are a myriad of solutions from portaloo's to digging a hole outside. May I recommend this thread for starters :D

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/toilets-and-portaloos.13487/

You will have lots and lots of questions so may I say again, welcome, take your time, ask away and don't be shy asking. It's a big proposition and you need all the information that you can get to make the best decision for yourselves.

Welcome!!

Your first question.... Conversion, or VW Factory conversion.....

To answer this, you should see both.... Sit in both, drive both and check the quality yourself etc.... This is hard to properly describe, so it's best you see for yourself. Current owners may have a bias also.

Conversions, differ in quality from convertor to convertor.... Whereas VW have the wherwithall and objective to make a quality product, they have to stand-over the badge whereas a convertor can disappear overnight.

Once you have decided the above route, and I would agree with you get what you pay for, you then need to choose either the mark of California T4, T5 or T6 and the model, Beach, Coast, SE or Ocean. Or, if you go the conversion route, you need to decide preferred layout and spec.

I have a T6 Beach, I love it.... Other love their Coasts, SEs and Oceans just as much.... This is all personal choice.

As for toilets, there are some really great threads on this.... Use the forum search function..... You'll also get many answers to those remaining 100 or so questions.

Have fun with your research!!

Welcome, I would recommend you hire one for a weekend and try it out, I think for a growing family you may find it a little cramped especially in bad weather when you spend more time in the van. Drive away awning can provide a lot more space.

Welcome to the forum. As Granny Jen said I cant advise on the children aspect but if you find yourself confined there is always the option to fit an awning for more space. I looked at conversions before settling on an se and found very little difference in cost of purchase but felt the vw cali had a better resale value. As already stated there are different toilet options I bought at portapoti which sits inside a cupboard but after 4 trips so far it is still in the wrapping it came in I find it very easy to use the camp site facilities.

Hello Mark and welcome,

I will let some of our members with younger families answer your first points but:

Spec for spec I have yet to find a conversion that is cheaper than a Cali. Normally a lot of the conversions, and I talk quality reputable ones such as vanworx or jerba etc, start with a much lower spec base vehicle. I have routinely priced up conversions, both when first buying my Cali and again for when looking to replace it, and their is very little in it.

I was actually buying from a converter when I first saw a Cali. Once looked I realised there was really no choice. The Cali just fits, everything is made at the factory and it's designed from the base vehicle upwards.

As for toilets: There are a myriad of solutions from portaloo's to digging a hole outside. May I recommend this thread for starters :D

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/toilets-and-portaloos.13487/

You will have lots and lots of questions so may I say again, welcome, take your time, ask away and don't be shy asking. It's a big proposition and you need all the information that you can get to make the best decision for yourselves.

Thank you very much for all your in depth and quick replies. Already enjoying this forum. Been looking at Youtube videos and have fallen head over heels in love with these 'calis'. really want one.

Absolutely love the cupboards, etc

So is there just 2 models to buy now new, the beach and ocean as confused what the Se etc are. Also what are t4, t5, t6, are these just different models in regards to the years.Think with kids a kitchen would be brilliant but don't know about the massive price difference between a beach and ocean. Like the thought of getting up and making a cuppa, but sure pople have come up with all kinds of ways to get around not having a kitchen.

Thanks again

Hi Mark - we all started from your position - learning about California life is great fun - everything you could ever need is on this forum and has been discussed to death - even springs with grey dots - so start digging and you will find the answers - just dont ask what is best a beach or an ocean / SE

There are 2 models, Beach and Ocean. The ocean (T6) basically replaced the SE (T5). The ocean is often called "full fat"... a fully equipped camper, compared to the Beach which offers a stripped out version, a manual compared to an elevating roof, a three seat option whereas the Ocean is limited to two because of the kitchen, and for many a greater flexibility from MPV to long term camper.

T4 T5 and T6 are all evolution milestones of the California reflecting the movement in Engine emissions, from Euro 4 to today's Euro 6. Evolution rather than revolution so inside, as far as internal furniture and architecture is concerned, they look similar.

Whilst only two models, a myriad of variation, manual, auto, 4wd or Fwd, different engines, and lots of add on packages. It can be a labyrinth, or a nightmare, depending on your pov :D

Re conversions verses genuine Cali, one will deprecate like a 70’s Italian car, the other is a Cali.

Ha, ha, if you want to see a tatty conversion with no furniture, I live in north Wales. More than happy to talk you through all the jargon tho! :)

Once again, thank you all so much. Im sold!!!. Really would love them, cant stop watching youtube videos on them

Im emailing a dealer and getting some finance options. Its 2017 Ocean as really would like the kithcen and £50k (gulp) ex demo with 2k mileage, do you think its fair to try and get some price off or is there little movement with these kinds of campers? Im usually cheeky with cars but not sure what the etiquette is with such high end purchases? Wish i looked into this years ago!

Ha, ha, if you want to see a tatty conversion with no furniture, I live in north Wales. More than happy to talk you through all the jargon tho! :)
and thank you for the offer :thumb

Welcome!

It's great that your on Day 1 of your Cali journey. I remember a good few months ago my wife and I went in to a VW dealer and the first question the sales chap asked was 'what month are you on'. We wondered what he meant but explained.... buying a Cali is a life experience for most buyers. You start at day 1 / month 1 with no real idea about them and then over the following weeks and months you see some, maybe hire one, talk to people and generally move through the decision tree and discover all you need to know. We placed an order for ours at month 4! Some take 18 months!

There are some popular choices in terms of spec / trim etc - (all diesel). There are obviously loads of other choices but these two are talked about a lot....

Used - T5.1 140bhp manual SE
New - T6 150bhp DSG (auto) Ocean

Both of these come with a kitchen and the Ocean is just the name of T6 model of SE. T5.1 refers to the facelift version of the T5 (transporter model 5, in VW speak). T6... 6th gen... you get it.

These two models are really popular because they strike a happy medium between performance/value/running costs.

If you take a look in the classified you will get an idea.

In terms of 4 people in one cali - there is just the two of us but with a dog too so I'm not directly qualified to answer but there are so many people who have a drive-away awning (think tent that attaches to the van) that has sleeping pods in it etc to give more space.

My wife and I have slept upstairs and downstairs in the demo one we hired. Both areas fine. Upstairs slightly cooler (think tent on the roof) and downstairs more cosy.

The big things that typically seperate the Cali from the conversions (I'll talk SE/Ocean with kitchen now) are things like;

Electric elevating roof
3 zone climate control (2 zone in the cab and 1 zone for the rear - with 2 aircon condensers to make sure it can cope properly with hot weather)
Remote control diesel powered heating (night heater, all year round camping)
2 leisure batteries (most conversions have 1)
double glazed windows at the rear - where you'd put your heads if sleeping downstairs
comfort dashboard (more car-like, less van like)
OEM type interior trim - if you want it to be more car like than lounge like
No carpet on the walls (!) - some are bothered about this and make a big thing out of it - most/all conversions (think Westfalia are the only one not to) tend to have carpeted walls. Some find it funny!!

It's such a great world to get in to :)

Once again, thank you all so much. Im sold!!!. Really would love them, cant stop watching youtube videos on them

Im emailing a dealer and getting some finance options. Its 2017 Ocean as really would like the kithcen and £50k (gulp) ex demo with 2k mileage, do you think its fair to try and get some price off or is there little movement with these kinds of campers? Im usually cheeky with cars but not sure what the etiquette is with such high end purchases? Wish i looked into this years ago!

Buying new expect about 7.5% off, plus whatever finance pcp deal is on (currently 1k deposit contribution + 2 free services)

Buying nearly new (there are some 'demo's which haven't turned a wheel...) - some have managed 10% recently. There are a few friendly dealers who we can all point you towards.

Listers Coventry have well specified demo (ie new) vans at good deals in stock now

Mark Wheelwright + VW Van Centre West Yorkshire did us our deal on a new one (great deal).

There are also hire companies that sell off their stock too if you google around (or if you buy VIP membership on here you can message me)

Welcome!

It's great that your on Day 1 of your Cali journey. I remember a good few months ago my wife and I went in to a VW dealer and the first question the sales chap asked was 'what month are you on'. We wondered what he meant but explained.... buying a Cali is a life experience for most buyers. You start at day 1 / month 1 with no real idea about them and then over the following weeks and months you see some, maybe hire one, talk to people and generally move through the decision tree and discover all you need to know. We placed an order for ours at month 4! Some take 18 months!

There are some popular choices in terms of spec / trim etc - (all diesel). There are obviously loads of other choices but these two are talked about a lot....

Used - T5.1 140bhp manual SE
New - T6 150bhp DSG (auto) Ocean

Both of these come with a kitchen and the Ocean is just the name of T6 model of SE. T5.1 refers to the facelift version of the T5 (transporter model 5, in VW speak). T6... 6th gen... you get it.

These two models are really popular because they strike a happy medium between performance/value/running costs.

If you take a look in the classified you will get an idea.

In terms of 4 people in one cali - there is just the two of us but with a dog too so I'm not directly qualified to answer but there are so many people who have a drive-away awning (think tent that attaches to the van) that has sleeping pods in it etc to give more space.

My wife and I have slept upstairs and downstairs in the demo one we hired. Both areas fine. Upstairs slightly cooler (think tent on the roof) and downstairs more cosy.

The big things that typically seperate the Cali from the conversions (I'll talk SE/Ocean with kitchen now) are things like;

Electric elevating roof
3 zone climate control (2 zone in the cab and 1 zone for the rear - with 2 aircon condensers to make sure it can cope properly with hot weather)
Remote control diesel powered heating (night heater, all year round camping)
2 leisure batteries (most conversions have 1)
double glazed windows at the rear - where you'd put your heads if sleeping downstairs
comfort dashboard (more car-like, less van like)
OEM type interior trim - if you want it to be more car like than lounge like
No carpet on the walls (!) - some are bothered about this and make a big thing out of it - most/all conversions (think Westfalia are the only one not to) tend to have carpeted walls. Some find it funny!!

It's such a great world to get in to :)

That is very kind of you to give me such a in depth and great reply. read every word and for the price, can imagine it being a life investment!

Buying new expect about 7.5% off, plus whatever finance pcp deal is on (currently 1k deposit contribution + 2 free services)

Buying nearly new (there are some 'demo's which haven't turned a wheel...) - some have managed 10% recently. There are a few friendly dealers who we can all point you towards.

Listers Coventry have well specified demo (ie new) vans at good deals in stock now

Mark Wheelwright + VW Van Centre West Yorkshire did us our deal on a new one (great deal).

There are also hire companies that sell off their stock too if you google around (or if you buy VIP membership on here you can message me)

Brilliant, might give them an email :)

Hi Mark, we have a T6 ocean. We’re a family of five, although my eldest is often away. Also have 2 dogs. Tbh it is cramped in the rain with the younger two (13 and 10 plus hubby and me) however we have found we use it far more than we thought we would for things we hadn’t even envisaged. Day trips galore - no more “I’’m hungry...can we go...” moments - all food in fridge - no bother. Makes a great changing room at the beachside, running late for swimming - get changed in the van. Waiting for one sibling with the other in the van - lets start on the homework - nice handy table... Get work done whilst kids at some class or other.... Makes a great home office. Shop on the way somewhere, put all the cold stuff in the fridge - no rush to go home to unpack. Long journes - stop at service stations but make your own meals. I also take each kid away on their own at times for a bit of 1:1 time. It’s so easy, I feel confident I can cope with it on my own - everything just works. Also has many 12v sockets (that you can pop a USB adaptor into) so all kids gadgets can charge, even when the ignition isn’t on (they run from the leisure battery). We just love it and cant imagine life without the convenience of a panad whenever we fancy. We are also from North Wales (Anglesey).

Enjoy the fun of contemplation :)

Melanie

Get yourself over to Liverpool vw, they will be pushing for end of year deals and numbers so a bargain will be had! Ask for James Moore. Top chap, helped me loads when I picked mine up new last week. Dangle the ‘5 star report’ to him on his service and a load of extras will come your way

Hi Mark, we have a T6 ocean. We’re a family of five, although my eldest is often away. Also have 2 dogs. Tbh it is cramped in the rain with the younger two (13 and 10 plus hubby and me) however we have found we use it far more than we thought we would for things we hadn’t even envisaged. Day trips galore - no more “I’’m hungry...can we go...” moments - all food in fridge - no bother. Makes a great changing room at the beachside, running late for swimming - get changed in the van. Waiting for one sibling with the other in the van - lets start on the homework - nice handy table... Get work done whilst kids at some class or other.... Makes a great home office. Shop on the way somewhere, put all the cold stuff in the fridge - no rush to go home to unpack. Long journes - stop at service stations but make your own meals. I also take each kid away on their own at times for a bit of 1:1 time. It’s so easy, I feel confident I can cope with it on my own - everything just works. Also has many 12v sockets (that you can pop a USB adaptor into) so all kids gadgets can charge, even when the ignition isn’t on (they run from the leisure battery). We just love it and cant imagine life without the convenience of a panad whenever we fancy. We are also from North Wales (Anglesey).

Enjoy the fun of contemplation :)

Melanie

Hi Melanie, thank you for your reply - Anglesey, beautiful island, I have surveyed half of it, some stunning beaches. You should work for VW and their california brochure team, every item you mentioned makes brilliant sense and only makes me want to buy one more. My wife is now worried as she knows what i am like and will just turn up with one one day and say 'surprise' hahaha Would make a grear xmas pressie for the family though hmmmmmm

Get yourself over to Liverpool vw, they will be pushing for end of year deals and numbers so a bargain will be had! Ask for James Moore. Top chap, helped me loads when I picked mine up new last week. Dangle the ‘5 star report’ to him on his service and a load of extras will come your way

Thanks for that, thats where i have seen the used ex demo oneand emailed them before so will wait for a reply ;-)

Thanks for that, thats where i have seen the used ex demo oneand emailed them before so will wait for a reply ;-)

Some very good you tube videos as well with chris Evans from liv vw who will run through everything there is to know about these machines, especially if your new to buying one like I was a few months ago!
Also California camping on you tube.

Ring them up, they're dead busy in Liverpool. Matt is also very good but think he's new vans. I was after a pre-reg but bought it before it was regged...

We have 2 young kids and it was also a concern it would be too cramped, so we hired one for a week first to make sure we could live with the size. It was nowhere near as bad as I'd feared and if we want some peace and quiet we send them upstairs to watch a dvd on the laptop. We also got the £200 decathlon air base awning which gives extra space if required.

I understand many of Liverpool's "ex demos" are only demos in name....VW having temporarily lifted the need to run / store a demo for several months before sale. So Liverpool are getting them much cheaper than normal stock vans, which should help power your negotiation.

I have 2 children (4 &8) so would love to know your thoughts before i take the plunge as its going to be a huge investment for me.

Are they good with small children as its 4 berth or does the size of the van make them go crazy on a rainy day? Are they big enough for my wife and I and the 2 kids

With two kids and being new to camper van life i would echo those suggesting hiring first. Make sure it works for your family before committing to such a big outlay.

It works well for us with a two year old (who was one when we first purchased) but the space can take a lot of getting used to and it'll also depend on how independent or intense your kids may be. An awning for trips longer than a weekend will be a good investment.

Depending on your family's preferences, and because you mention toilets, I'd recommend hiring for a week and trying out a couple of different styles of camping - basic low facilities place in a beautiful spot and then a high quality club site (something like Caravan & Motorhome Club - many sites let you stay as a non-member). See which, if either, works for your family and then if you do commit everyone knows what they're letting themselves in for. My OH was a staunch non-camper but now gets into it although she insists sites are spotless with good facilities. We're missing out on some of the wild-camping or more natural experiences at the moment but we'll get there in time.

The best thing is though, not a day goes by without our daughter effusing her love of our trips and the great places we go to. It was her first day back at nursery today after half term and watching her excitedly explain to her teachers everything we did in the holidays makes the steep monthly payments worth every penny.

Hope it all works out