Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

External cable charge seems to stops once full ?

E

Ed Mardell

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I added to an old topic but didnt seem to get any traction and wondered is someone could advise.

I have been through dead leisure batteries from being allowed to remain uncharged and have replaced them. Both are working fine for several days and charge both from alternator and external plug....however the external charging seems to switch off after a period ?

What I found was that when I plug in it comes up as charging, correctly tops up the leisure batteries but...if I leave switched on.... at some stage it seems to stop charging and isnt shown on dash as plugged in either? I then come back to dead leisure batteries several days later having been at 100% and gradually run down once it went off

If I switch power off and flick on again...main charging starts again. It feels like some kind of cut off once fully charged and on for so long...even though it remains live from cable ?

1) Should it do this...some sort of timeout or protection ?
2) I have for now set the plug on a timer and have it come on for 2hrs once a day...I just dont like what its doing if a problem ?

T5 2012 Cali high output diesel - 2x AGM Batteries brand new and working fine inc all charging.

Hope someone can help !

Much appreciated.

Ed.

I added to an old topic but didnt seem to get any traction and wondered is someone could advise.

I have been through dead leisure batteries from being allowed to remain uncharged and have replaced them. Both are working fine for several days and charge both from alternator and external plug....however the external charging seems to switch off after a period ?

What I found was that when I plug in it comes up as charging, correctly tops up the leisure batteries but...if I leave switched on.... at some stage it seems to stop charging and isnt shown on dash as plugged in either? I then come back to dead leisure batteries several days later having been at 100% and gradually run down once it went off

If I switch power off and flick on again...main charging starts again. It feels like some kind of cut off once fully charged and on for so long...even though it remains live from cable ?

1) Should it do this...some sort of timeout or protection ?
2) I have for now set the plug on a timer and have it come on for 2hrs once a day...I just dont like what its doing if a problem ?

T5 2012 Cali high output diesel - 2x AGM Batteries brand new and working fine inc all charging.

Hope someone can help !

Much appreciated.

Ed.
The only “Cut-Off” the mains charger has is a thermal cut-off which once activated switches off the charger. It can only be re-started by switching the mains supply Off and then On.

Where is your Mains Charger located?
Initially it was located under the fridge, but because of this problem was moved to above the rear leisure battery.

The only “Cut-Off” the mains charger has is a thermal cut-off which once activated switches off the charger. It can only be re-started by switching the mains supply Off and then On.

Where is your Mains Charger located?
Initially it was located under the fridge, but because of this problem was moved to above the rear leisure battery.
I'm not sure to be honest. I didn't see anything that looked like a charger circuit by rear battery when I replaced it so guess maybe under fridge.

It's out at present with family but will look. Does anyone have picture of what I'm looking for?

The charging circuit was replaced by local company as had stopped working altogether a couple of years back.

Is there any warning or message I can read to see if it's overheating? Def follows pattern you mention of working again when power toggled.... And it's very hot here right now.

Thanks

Ed.

I'm not sure to be honest. I didn't see anything that looked like a charger circuit by rear battery when I replaced it so guess maybe under fridge.

It's out at present with family but will look. Does anyone have picture of what I'm looking for?

The charging circuit was replaced by local company as had stopped working altogether a couple of years back.

Is there any warning or message I can read to see if it's overheating? Def follows pattern you mention of working again when power toggled.... And it's very hot here right now.

Thanks

Ed.
There is no warning on the Control Panel as it is a Normal function to protect the Mains Charger rather than a fault.

If it is above the rear leisure battery, then there is a black box above the battery.

IMG_2186.jpeg
If not then there is hole in the Left kitchen cupboard, L hand side, which should show the charger.

Back