Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure batteries not charging on mains hookup

Had identical problem with my 64 reg se
Needed new charging unit ( sod to fit under fitted unit)
Sorry not better news
No idea on cost as under warranty

Just an update on this - yesterday I tested the bare ‘live’ wire in the cable which goes directly to charging unit, before the IEC (kettle type) plug head and there is no voltage present. There is onward continuity through to the iec plug head so the problem is further back in the cable somewhere and NOT the IEC plug. There is both neural and earth continuity all the way through from the van exterior hook up power connection point to the IEC plug but no Live.

Looking at the exploding parts diagram provided further back in this thread, the power comes from a one piece cable / loom and branches into two. The branch going off to 240v socket at end of kitchen unit is fine and works perfectly. The problem is specific to the cable branch which goes to the charging unit above leisure battery, below wardrobe.

I removed the charging unit to check the cables as best as I could and all looks untouched and as new. There are no major kinks or twists in the IEC cable to charging unit. I know charging unit works fine as previously detailed I have plugged in another IEC plug directly into charging unit using an extension lead from side kitchen 240v socket and perfectly powers / charges the leisure batteries.

In my limited knowledge I can only summarise the problem is specific to the branch of cable going to the charging unit. I have contacted VW Heritage of Bristol and they have initially estimated 2 DAYS! labour to remove all units to replace the entire loom cable going all the way through of course to the 240v socket at end of sink unit as the loom is one piece.

This is all so incredibly frustrating and inexplicably how his could have happened. And to fix via VW Heritage is going to be a huge expense as I have no idea how to get behind units without damaging the van.

I could attempt to DIY wire-in a new cable somewhere but as the supply doesnt even go via the RCB, to make slightly easier, it seems a lost cause.

If anyone has any further advice would be appreciated?

Thanks a lot!

In my limited knowledge I can only summarise the problem is specific to the branch of cable going to the charging unit. I have contacted VW Heritage of Bristol and they have initially estimated 2 DAYS! labour to remove all units to replace the entire loom cable going all the way through of course to the 240v socket at end of sink unit as the loom is one piece.

I know which way I would be doing it. I don't believe the charger live comes straight from the hook up socket, it must come from the RCBO device. Simply make safe your IEC lead into suitable connectors (enclosed) then drop a new supply down as @Loz suggested from the RCBO unit to the charger cupboard. Job done, no need for VW to get involved, if you are not competent then an auto electrician should do it no problem.

Last edited:
By the way, if you check continuity on the neutral from the external plug through to the charger, turnoff the RCBO unit and the neutral should lose its continuity showing the supply comes through the RCBO device. Live, neutral and earth connections on an RCBO protected circuit have to be made on both sides of the device for it to work correctly.

I know which way I would be doing it. I don't believe the charger live comes straight from the hook up socket, it must come from the RCBO device. Simply make safe your IEC lead into suitable connectors (enclosed) then drop a new supply down as @Loz suggested from the RCBO unit to the charger cupboard. Job done, no need for VW to get involved, if you are not competent then an auto electrician should do it no problem.
Ok excellent. sorry but where is the RCBO, is this the same as the RCD in rear unit above Gas bottle area?
Is the grey plastic panel in front of the RCD easy to remove to access and look at wiring?
It’s all very tight. Not sure how easy it will be to thread a new IEC cable down back behind units to come out below wardrobe.
Does anyone know any good California / T5 experiences auto electricians in Bristol area? Last thing I want is for something else to get broken in process of trying to fix this.
Thanks a lot!

Yes it is the same unit, not an RCD technically. I'm not sure how to remove the grey panel etc. I think routing the cable should be fairly easy. I did post some pics on the forum of the back view of the wardrobe/kitchen unit showing access etc, I will try and find them.

Yes that would be great if you could

Thanks a lot for this. Very helpful
Someone did say further back the grey panel is held on with double sided sticky tape but I don’t want to start pulling at it and break it. I’ll have to have a look to decide what to do. The images of back of units is very helpful. Thank you. Cheers

Perhaps @Vw guru could advise re access to the RCBO unit.

Hi the panel in which the RCBO sits is just held in with double sided tape. Remove all the shelves in the rear cupboard and pull the gray trim towards you you then have full access to the back of the RCBO just replace the tape and stick back on when finished. If you want abit more cable to aid with movement then remove the outside socket by unscrewing the 4 T20 Torx screws and pulling the unit out you will find a white 3 pin connect covered in anti rattle foam pull that apart and you can see the routing of all the wire you need. You may also want to either masking tape the side of the Cali below the external socket or place some kind of protection there as there will be an earth lead conected to the chassis of the vehicle that will leave the socket hanging. Hope that helps

Hi the panel in which the RCBO sits is just held in with double sided tape. Remove all the shelves in the rear cupboard and pull the gray trim towards you you then have full access to the back of the RCBO just replace the tape and stick back on when finished. If you want abit more cable to aid with movement then remove the outside socket by unscrewing the 4 T20 Torx screws and pulling the unit out you will find a white 3 pin connect covered in anti rattle foam pull that apart and you can see the routing of all the wire you need. You may also want to either masking tape the side of the Cali below the external socket or place some kind of protection there as there will be an earth lead conected to the chassis of the vehicle that will leave the socket hanging. Hope that helps
Do the T20 torx screws have nuts behind them please? As i need to change my EHU flap

Do the T20 torx screws have nuts behind them please? As i need to change my EHU flap

Hi no they screw directly into the body. The only which has screws at the rear of the trim planel water tank filler end.

Thank you. Great help

Thank you. Great help
I think if you remove the RCD/RCBO panel you will see the mains wiring loom with the spare to the Charger IEC plug and should be able to add an additional line or replace the existing one. Plenty of room to pass a wire down to the Charger.
In fact I don't see why ALL the units have to be removed to replace the Mains wiring Loom as there is room behind all the units, as only the upper part is flush to the vehicle side wall. It would be fidly but not difficult using the old loom to pull the new one through.

Why not just pop up to me and I’ll help you do it?
Thanks a lot Loz, that's really good of you. I'm taking the van to VW in Bristol on Friday for a service anyway and will double check with them they can't do it the way suggested i.e. wire in new cable via RCB/RCBO. If not then would appreciate your help greatly. Will keep you posted. Thanks :thumb

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
A68D75E0-9024-4338-A0C7-921D6D05CFEE.jpeg 02D0769F-C364-46E7-AB37-EF71E72DB227.jpeg 052F0047-46F9-47A0-8921-2232E539D833.jpeg Update on this - I belatedly removed the RCB grey panel this weekend located in the rear cupboard above gas bottle location which exposed the electrics going into the RCB. I should have done this before as immediately I was able to see one of the live brown wires had popped out of the connection point in to the RCB at the top. This was the problem and why there was no ‘live’ feed going on down to the IEC plug going into charging unit. Unfortunately, the weekend before, I had previously cut open the moulded IEC plug to expose the live wire to test it was not the IEC plug head itself causing the problem which confirmed it wasn’t.

Anyway the short of the story is I’ve simply pushed this live wire back into RCB connection point and is now charging the leisure batteries via charging unit perfectly fine off the mains hookup. The downside is my previous brand new looking IEC plug going into charging unit is now a slightly sorry looking thing taped up with electrical tape. I may yet wire in a new IEC plug so it’s looks better aesthetically even though it works perfectly fine and is hidden out of the way as I know it’s there!

I have attached a few photo’s of what I found when I pulled off the RCB cover which is (as previously advised) just held on with one strip of double sided sticky tape at the top)

Thanks for your help all

Good news James, make sure all those connections are tight. You can purchase a new rewireable IEC socket to fit to your cable if it is still long enough.

Glad it's sorted. :thumb

So it has probably been like that since new.

Now 4 years old and only 8k miles. I hope the Leisure Batteries have not been damaged too much.

I’m afraid it says a lot about the previous owner. I hope there are no more surprises.

Hope you used a screwdriver to fix it propperly...

Hope you used a screwdriver to fix it propperly...
Yes all tight. It wouldn’t be live even if it did pop out again as it’s the charger cable connection to the RCB not the direct wire from the mains.

Back