Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extra Approved Tyre Specifications

Tarquers

Tarquers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Just followed up with my dealer on why the tyre sizes and load ratings fitted to the van are not within the specification of size and load rating on the doors pillar, and was sent a homologation document showing approved sizes and load ratings. Would be interested to know others thoughts on this as it does certainly provide a much wider range of tyre sizes and load ratings.

0F40B071-DB5C-4314-99C7-6D40F449FAC0.jpeg
For reference, a 2021 beach supplied with a 245/45/R18 100Y

Last edited:
Would be interesting to know the same for 17" wheels.

If your tyres aren't on the pillar, how do you what pressure to inflate them to?

If your tyres aren't on the pillar, how do you what pressure to inflate them to?
Educated guess to start with. Old school, put a thick chalk mark across width of tyre and go for a drive.
If chalk worn away on edges, pressure too low, if worn away in centre, pressure too high. Wear uniform , correct pressure. Obviously not when the roads are wet.

I am more concerned over what VW are saying are acceptable load ratings given the conversations that have taken place here on the impact of different tyres on insurance etc.

Is the print out provided from the manufacturer of the alloy wheels for that specific model you have?

If yes, than you are fine, i.e. the tyres in that list from that manufacturer are approved, IF your van lists in one of those types (e1*2001/116*......) the tyre-wheels combo have been approved for.

If a manufacturer wants to produce a wheel/tyre for a T6 (or any other car) outside the already pre-approved sizes, they have to be tested that they are technically sound for the specific vehicle.
Once tested/approved a ABE/EG Gehnemigung is released, that you have above.
This procedure is the same if you want to fit any new part that is safety related and requiring an approval.
Also check clause A93) ,as you are in Poland and might be considering using snow chains.

The printout came from the dealer when I queried the wheels and tyres supplied from new. They said all beaches come with 245/45R18 100Y (mine is a 2021 model) and provided this as evidence. I will look up the clauses and try and work out what they mean. My concern was the load rating may not be high enough. I have changed wheels/tyres to something I feel is more appropriate, but trying to understand their justification for what was supplied.

I might be missing something but where on that document does it say that a load rating of 100 is OK. I can only see tyre size.

I might be missing something but where on that document does it say that a load rating of 100 is OK. I can only see tyre size.
Supplied tyres have a load rating of 100 and dealer is using this sheet (without the notes) as evidence the tyres are ok. What I found T100 is translated by google as:

Only permitted on vehicles with a permitted axle load of max. 1600 kg for LI 100. The load capacity of the ZR tire must then be at least 800 kg (information is on the tire). However, condition A03) must generally be observed.

If I read that correctly the maximum axle weight per axle is 1,600 kg for the supplied tyres so in theory this is ok for the beach with a load rating of 100. Very confused by the whole thing.

According to the Uk brochure the front axle on a 150 Beach is rated at1620kg.
Easiest way to check your van is look at the plate under the Bonnet - it will give max axle weights, rather than relying on what some bloke on the internet said.

According to the Uk brochure the front axle on a 150 Beach is rated at1620kg.
Easiest way to check your van is look at the plate under the Bonnet - it will give max axle weights, rather than relying on what some bloke on the internet said.
@andyinluton did as recommended and see 1-1620kg and 2-1550kg. Assume 1 = front and 2 equals rear?

assuming that is the case, supplied tyres must have a greater than 805kg load rating so a rating of 100 would be incorrect? Asking your bloke on the internet opinion

D757DFED-ADD0-49B7-B2BD-AEEA99BB4AE9.jpeg

Half of 1620 is 810 so tyre load index minimum of 101 = 825kg
A tyre with a 100 load index = 800kg
that's my maths too. Will be going back to the dealer and to VW Poland tomorrow to query their choices of supplied tyres.