Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extra batteries

K

kingtut

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a (relatively) new Cali in around a year. I know that there are 2x72Ah leisure batteries built in - as you should only run them down to 50% then that only gives 72Ah of usable charge. I'll be running a load of electronics so that won't be sufficient. I'm planning to hook up around 240W of solar panels, and a wind generator, but am looking at increasing capacity as well.

So, my questions:
1) Where the current batteries are fitted, how large are the boxes? Could they be replaced with physically larger batteries (with larger capacities)?
2) Has anyone added (in parallel) extra batteries? They'd need to be the same type/capacity. Where would people suggest extra batteries could be physically fitted? How much do the VW batteries weigh? I was thinking of adding 3-4 more batteries. I'm worried about the balance changes of adding all the extra weight on one side.
3) Is it possible to reprogram the computer to get a more accurate measurement for Ah battery left (or does it just show a %)? It will likely estimate it based on voltage, assuming 2 batteries - i.e. at 12.0V the batteries will be around 60% depleted, meaning total 2*72*0.4Ah left. With more batteries, there will be more Ah left for a given voltage.

Thanks,

Ian

Current leisure batteries are one under passenger seat & other is in the boot under wardrobe accessed through a small door in boot.
Not much extra space in either locations, so probably would not fit bigger batteries.
I doubt if it is possible to get a better battery state reading with the standard setup, which is a percentage reading.