Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

leisure batteries

Oggie

Oggie

VIP Member
Hi,

Just fixed earth shunt problem and am thinkin that maybe the batteries need replacing but thought I d try and get some advice first...

1 how long on hook up do the batteries need to be fully charged
2 how long should they be able to run the heater on a low setting
3 is it ok to replace them with higher capacity batteries

Cheers,

Rob

I can't speak with any specific T5 knowledge but when dealing with leisure batteries the following is applicable.

Charging time depends on the type of battery. Leisure batteries are(should) be gel type and will take up to three days continuous to reach full capacity.

Heater running time will depend on the load required by the heater. If you can find out how much current the heater fan/fuel pump pulls on low setting then divide this into the amp/hour rating of your battery(ies). This is of course assuming nothing else is running at the same time such as a fridge. Also you're assuming the heater will run continuously and not be interupted by the stat?
My experience of the heater in my T4 tells me you'll pass out with heat exhaustion long before the battery fails!

If you can fit the bigger battery in the space then go for it.
Always exceed the maximum dose.
Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing sucseeds like excess.

S.

sidepod said:
Charging time depends on the type of battery. Leisure batteries are(should) be gel type and will take up to three days continuous to reach full capacity.

Would charging for several bursts of 12 hours (i.e. daylight time when I can feed a power supply through the hall window) work, or does it need to be 100% continuous? My batteries are well charged from the vehicle generator so should just need topping up

Cheers for reply. Getting new batteries today so hopefully it ll be working this weekend :)

Og,

Charging in bursts should be ok, not ideal but if it's not used in between charging sessions you should be ok.

I always keep mine plugged in when not in use.

I see you're from sunny Oxfordshire :cool: although not quite that sunny this morning.

S.

In my experience, the alternator is good for topping up during trips but you'll need to plug into the mains to get a really good charge. 12 hour bursts are OK. Also never let the batteries run flat as this will lead to a deterioration of the battery over time and will drastically shorten its life.

I'd be interested to know what the maximum Amp/hour battery replacement is that you can find and fit, I think the existing ones are 75Ah.

Also... Are you replacing both batteries? Under the front seat and in the rear cupboard?

Regards
Barry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Checked both batteries and only the rear needs replacing so replaced that one with a 100ohm one. Got it on charge now so will try it out this weekend and hopefully will have heating for the first time.....?

Hello Oggie - how easy (or not) is it to replace the rear battery? Mine are getting pretty tired, not holding their charge nearly so well after 5 years (2008 model) and I may well do this . . .

Lewis

Replacing the rear battery is simple, just a case of opening the flap, undoing the bolt that holds it in place then takin the terminals off. The front is a little more difficult as the passenger seat needs to be taken out but that's just a case of undoing 4 bolts. Be careful when buying new batteries as there isn't a huge amount of space under the seat so you need to make sure any new battery is same size or smaller.....

one with a 100ohm one.

Eh? What? I think you may have got your units mixed up there? 100Amp hour perhaps? :doh
Apologies if that appears pedantic.

S.

Take great care when replacing batteries. It's very easy to accindentally short that positive terminal out to anything metal nearby with the spanner.
Big batteries make big sparks and bangs. Ask me how I know this :laugh2

S.

I like the idea that a 100Ah battery will fit, this is 33% extra capacity. My van is 2009 and batteries still seem OK but I realise they only last so long!

All sorted, cheers everyone for their advice..... Slept in van last night and had heating, result :)

That's good to hear a happy ending :thumb :thumb

I read in the volkspage.net SSP 329 manual that the batteries are charged in series, via the alternator. I.e. vehicle battery first, second battery, then 3rd or "special vehicle" battery.

I dont know what happens if the vehicle battery (or 2nd battery) doesn't get to, or hold 100% charge. Does that mean the alternator never gets to charge the other batteries further down the series? That could mean we swap out a good battery, believing its not being charged, when the fault could be with one of the others.

I think that also backs up VWs recommendation to periodically plug in to mains hook up, to ensure all batteries are charged.

Page 40 here; http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_329.pdf

That's a fab (if massively anoraky) read btw! Could we have a linky in the downloads section admins?

Oggie said:
Checked both batteries and only the rear needs replacing so replaced that one with a 100ohm one. Got it on charge now so will try it out this weekend and hopefully will have heating for the first time.....?

What sort of 100ah battery did you go for? Standard lead acid leisure?

I see you can get normal (instead of AGM) batteries for a lot less and not always better.

Interesting read...

http://www.sterling-power.com/support-faq-2.htm

AndyFromTheBrac said:
I read in the volkspage.net SSP 329 manual that the batteries are charged in series, via the alternator. I.e. vehicle battery first, second battery, then 3rd or "special vehicle" battery.

I don't think it says "series" charging. Be careful here. Leisure batteries are connected in parallel not series. Parallel connection maintains 12v where as series connection will produce 24V. Best not confuse matters.

What happens is the starter battery takes priority over the leisure batteries. Once fully charged then the leisure batteries recieve charge (both together).

S.

Tangle Foot said:
What sort of 100ah battery did you go for? Standard lead acid leisure?

I see you can get normal (instead of AGM) batteries for a lot less and not always better.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that you have to use AGM batteries in the Cali, I can't remember why, someone will be able to explain better than me, or put me right! Boiling over of the acid perhaps due to how they are charged :?:

A standard lead acid battery emits undesirable gas when under charge and, as such, if used in a confined space must have adequate venting.

Gel batteries don't suffer this draw back. No prizes for guessing which is more expensive.?

I believe the AGM type is sealed and uses less electrolyte (less maintenanace).
Gel batteries are a step further in that they use silica to mix with the acid to form a, errr, gel.

I've exhausted my battery knowledge.

S.

Most leisure batteries are sealed. So are any that are classed as maintenance free.

So what was the final outcome of all this?

I'm convinced my batteries aren't working properly, so was thinking of replacing them. I took a look at them and saw they were only rated at 75Ah, so thought I'd upgrade the capacity whilst I was at it.

However, I'm a bit confused as to whether i *have* to use AGM.

Also, it would be nice to test the batteries to see if they are actually working to within reasonable degree of the rated values, but I'm not altogether sure how to go about doing that. I assume I need to put them under some sort of load? Anyone got any pointers?

Rob.

You definitely need batteries that don't give off hydrogen when they charge! Normal car batteries can do, but engine bays are ventilated. A build up of hydrogen in a non vented cabin can have 'spectacular results

I bought a pair of new Sonnenchein (original equipment as fitted by Westfalia) now Exide last year.
2 x 75Ah gel batteries came in at around £550 I believe. Quite an investment but well worth it.

S.

Back