Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

extra light needed under rear cupboard

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My wife's alright Jack! She gets a reading light and I'm left squinting with a torch while propped up in bed reading. I'm on the dim left-hand side, next to the cupboard.

I'd like to have one of those striplights, one of those thin LED strips of lighting stuck to the underneath of the cupboard (inbetween the speakers). I've not played around with electrical stuff and I wouldn't like to start something and regret it.

Has anyone done this? If anyone has step by step instructions I might have a go. Or, if anyone has a better idea I'd be interested. My wife thinks it might be easier to go to the Opticians and buy the varifocals I've been putting-off. But, surely brighter lights and longer arms is the more sensible solution.

My wife's alright Jack! She gets a reading light and I'm left squinting with a torch while propped up in bed reading. I'm on the dim left-hand side, next to the cupboard.

I'd like to have one of those striplights, one of those thin LED strips of lighting stuck to the underneath of the cupboard (inbetween the speakers). I've not played around with electrical stuff and I wouldn't like to start something and regret it.

Has anyone done this? If anyone has step by step instructions I might have a go. Or, if anyone has a better idea I'd be interested. My wife thinks it might be easier to go to the Opticians and buy the varifocals I've been putting-off. But, surely brighter lights and longer arms is the more sensible solution.
Sad but for me a kindle with built in light and ability to adjust print size is a must.

Sad but for me a kindle with built in light and ability to adjust print size is a must.
The kids are alright Jack too. They both have the kindles with lights up in the top bunk. I'm usually trying to read the travel guides for the next day's activities.

The kids are alright Jack too. They both have the kindles with lights up in the top bunk. I'm usually trying to read the travel guides for the next day's activities.
Long arms and a light then

Definitely agree that it's dark in the back.

I've wired up glovebox lights and front footwell lights, just thinking about rear lighting now. What you're proposing would be very easy, pop out the light from the cowling, run wiring through to top right hand point inside cupboard. If you did this you might think about buying a replacement OEM light and cabling inside and through the cupboard. Or you could install a USB socket near the bottom of the wardrobe and have a gooseneck USB reading light when you were in bed.
Bear in mind the type and colour of lighting is important. If you're in bed reading you'll likely want a more focused light pattern and a warm white light. The LED strips have a wide distribution of light so I personally wouldn't use them for this purpose.

I'm more a sleeper in the bed , but the wife uses a Petzl to read books in bed, even at home , gives light where needed any way you lie down , back or belly or sideways , and don't bother the other who's allready sleeping.

I'm more a sleeper in the bed , but the wife uses a Petzl to read books in bed, even at home , gives light where needed any way you lie down , back or belly or sideways , and don't bother the other who's allready sleeping.

I have the same. Used it during my upper storey sleeping experiments.

images
My wife uses one of these, 1 X AAA battery lasts for months.

Audio book with head phones, trouble is I never hear the end

In my 'wardrobe' cuoboard, the previous owner has fitted a stick up battery light that's classy looking enough for the Cali, and rather fun too, it's an Osram LED DOT-it Linear Platinum.

To light it you just put your finger on the contacts (two little dots in the pic) which I think is rather cool - I shall probably get another of these as I sleep on the lightless side!

572790_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

Great ideas above. This is one place where the T6 is improved - the LED mood lighting in the tailgate and the pop-up roof is fantastic.

Although I must admit I thought it was a bit too dim until I found out that it gets brighter if you keep your finger on the button - duh.

Last edited:
Not sure what we're looking at in that picture - but if it's a striplight across the back that would be no good for me, my OH wants to to go to sleep while I want to read. I tried a stick-on light but it fell off while travelling - pretty much as expected, so I guess the head torch is my answer. Pity.

I use a head torch to read.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

We bought a Pifco rechargeable torch which has a large LED light on the side as well. I charge it during the day and then open the sliding door of the rear cupboard and stand it on one of the shelves. Gives a good light for a while, enough to read by until you drop off, but it works better if it is recharged at least every other day.
I think some people keep,their night time beer in the same place so there may be a conflict that would need resolving

Back