Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Failed auto side door

Taf Powell

Taf Powell

Wandering Dood
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
My auto sliding door seems to have jumped its spooling wire. The wire is visibly slack. The operating mechanism switch on the key fob and on the driving console do not work and there is no noise indicating the motor is trying to engage.
I can partly open the sliding door manually and I can close and lock it.
Anyone have tips or fixes?
Thanks

There is at least one "how to" relating to the replacement of the wire.
As you are VIP, you can use the "search forums" function to find the information.
Try something like "Closing side door" and you should get on the trail of lots of information and a description of a D.I.Y. solution.

This should help.
It shows a U tube fix

My auto sliding door seems to have jumped its spooling wire. The wire is visibly slack. The operating mechanism switch on the key fob and on the driving console do not work and there is no noise indicating the motor is trying to engage.
I can partly open the sliding door manually and I can close and lock it.
Anyone have tips or fixes?
Thanks
I had the same issue with ours, theres a guy who has a great how to video somewhere.the parts are on ebay for about 320 and its an easy job if your a diy mechanic. good luck

Thanks to all of you. The ‘event’ happened Christmas Day (natch) but the day following my post the door seized totally and I now have to use the passenger door to access the cabin and ditto for the dogs.
I discovered the fault is a warranty item and my dealer seems to be amenable to agreeing this but the repair would otherwise cost £672 or more if the latching motor needs replacing. So the excellent video could be invaluable if you are mech savvy or can find such a person.
Since the event I have learned this problem is far from unusual and I wonder why? My Cali has only travelled 9,500 miles and treated, well, like a cherished home. The super guy on the video suggested cable stretch on his 12 years old vehicle. Mine must be another problem but I do not know what that is and how to reduce the risk of recurrence.

Thanks to all of you. The ‘event’ happened Christmas Day (natch) but the day following my post the door seized totally and I now have to use the passenger door to access the cabin and ditto for the dogs.
I discovered the fault is a warranty item and my dealer seems to be amenable to agreeing this but the repair would otherwise cost £672 or more if the latching motor needs replacing. So the excellent video could be invaluable if you are mech savvy or can find such a person.
Since the event I have learned this problem is far from unusual and I wonder why? My Cali has only travelled 9,500 miles and treated, well, like a cherished home. The super guy on xthe video suggested cable stretch on his 12 old vehicle. Mine must be another problem but I do not know what that is and how to reduce the risk of recurrence.
My experience was that the door bounce back at opening or closing was an indicator that the motor system was sensing excess current draw due to resistance to opening and closing.
This is a safety feature but if you have ever tried to stop the power door in action or trapped your arm in the closing door, it is a significant amount of resistance before the system triggers and reverses the action.
I also had slight scratching to the rear wheel arch as the door clearance had altered.
At 2years 11 months and 25 days (phew) my dealership accepted the symptoms as a warranty repair.
Problem was worn centre rollers This caused door misalignment and increased resistance during opening and closing, causing bounce back.
The door also made a “trundling” noise when in operation (flat spot on rollers?).
Only issue is that there appear to be special body clips needed to allow the access plate with Ocean decal to be removed and replaced for access to the centre rollers.
7 months on no further issue.

My advice would be have regular power door bounce back investigated promptly as roller replacement is a lot cheaper than roller, snapped cables and or damaged motor.

My experience was that the door bounce back at opening or closing was an indicator that the motor system was sensing excess current draw due to resistance to opening and closing.
This is a safety feature but if you have ever tried to stop the power door in action or trapped your arm in the closing door, it is a significant amount of resistance before the system triggers and reverses the action.
I also had slight scratching to the rear wheel arch as the door clearance had altered.
At 2years 11 months and 25 days (phew) my dealership accepted the symptoms as a warranty repair.
Problem was worn centre rollers This caused door misalignment and increased resistance during opening and closing, causing bounce back.
The door also made a “trundling” noise when in operation (flat spot on rollers?).
Only issue is that there appear to be special body clips needed to allow the access plate with Ocean decal to be removed and replaced for access to the centre rollers.
7 months on no further issue.

My advice would be have regular power door bounce back investigated promptly as roller replacement is a lot cheaper than roller, snapped cables and or damaged motor.
There ‘a a lot of good advice in your post. Thank you Resfeber. (BTW my warranty is at 2 yrs 10 months!)

There ‘a a lot of good advice in your post. Thank you Resfeber. (BTW my warranty is at 2 yrs 10 months!)
The only lasting concern I have is was the failure due to poor original equipment or misalignment causing premature failure of the rollers.
My vehicle is a near daily driver (currently 34k miles) and the door in regular use. Vehicle is garaged.
Hope it doesn’t become a regular replacement item

I share your misgivings. The work hasn’t begun on the van (Aberdeen delivery!) so I shall ask the garage for an opinion on the failure mode and effects. Look out for my update in this thread.

We went though the bounce back sliding door saga with our T5.1, luckily when it was still under warranty. Both Centre and bottom rollers replaced on separate occasions to no avail. The door was damaged in the process requiring respraying. Eventually a software adjustment to the sensitivity, and bingo it was cured.
Bleep, bieep, bleep. No more electric door for us. The manual door on the T6.1 is a dream.

With dogs and often out solo, I find the auto function very handy. To me the sum of this is that VW could surely make the function much more reliable and equally surely they have not cared to do so.
As our much loved leisure home from home the torpor at VW to keep the Cali updated is disappointing. I think VW takes advantage of our loyalty. I would love better quality upholstery, electronic ignition including handbrake, and a hybrid or fully electric motor option. That is just the beginning. I have a good relationship with the GM at my dealership and it seems nothing big is even at the blueprint stage.
Best
Taf

I’m fairly philosophical about it.
On the whole, the vehicles satisfy their target market when available and are produced in low enough volume not to demand frequent updating to maintain market position to deal with competitor advantage or meet customer wishes.
Yes VW could reach out more to their customers in this market segment but are unlikely to do so when demand is so high
They do need to be more transparent about premature component failures that are reliant on “goodwill” contributions
The vehicles are complex and at a price point that raises expectation of enhanced reliability, so failures and the need for a repair budget after warranty expiration, due to the longer term commitment that many make to their Calis needs to be factored in by owners.
Regular preventative maintenance and assessment of the vehicle “warts and all” helps to build a picture of condition and likely repairs.
Factory warranty extension, service plans and VW assistance cover all help assist in this aspect.
Last but not least the Cali club resources and members are the major benefit of Cali ownership compared to other makes and conversions IMHO.

We went though the bounce back sliding door saga with our T5.1, luckily when it was still under warranty. Both Centre and bottom rollers replaced on separate occasions to no avail. The door was damaged in the process requiring respraying. Eventually a software adjustment to the sensitivity, and bingo it was cured.
Bleep, bieep, bleep. No more electric door for us. The manual door on the T6.1 is a dream.
Interesting point about software adjustment of the power door safety system sensitivity to cure the door “bouncing back” when opening or closing.

Anyone else had this type of “software” based repair confirmed by dealer either under warranty or subsequent.

Interesting and compelling points Resfeber.

I have learned that the brand managers of the European dealerships do lobby VW for modernising improvements to the Cali line when they meet in conference, by and large to no avail. And whereas the investment policy will be to focus on the high turnover brands, generic improvement (as in electronics and reliability) is a defining organic quality where I think VW fall a bit short.

But I still love the brand!

I’m fairly philosophical about it.
On the whole, the vehicles satisfy their target market when available and are produced in low enough volume not to demand frequent updating to maintain market position to deal with competitor advantage or meet customer wishes.
Yes VW could reach out more to their customers in this market segment but are unlikely to do so when demand is so high
They do need to be more transparent about premature component failures that are reliant on “goodwill” contributions
The vehicles are complex and at a price point that raises expectation of enhanced reliability, so failures and the need for a repair budget after warranty expiration, due to the longer term commitment that many make to their Calis needs to be factored in by owners.
Regular preventative maintenance and assessment of the vehicle “warts and all” helps to build a picture of condition and likely repairs.
Factory warranty extension, service plans and VW assistance cover all help assist in this aspect.
Last but not least the Cali club resources and members are the major benefit of Cali ownership compared to other makes and conversions IMHO.
I understand what you are saying but an alternative viewpoint is that the California is based on a commercial vehicle with a significant conversion added. As such a commercial vehicle designed for a tough life of constant use, costing £40,000 or so , is then converted to a campervan with a completely different usage. Going by the general feeling on this Forum many vehicles are 3rd vehicles used for high days and holidays, spending significant periods of time , each year, parked up with a low annual milage. A significant difference to their commercial brethren. Very few are used as daily drivers.
Mine has done over a 100,000 miles in 7+ years. Apart from regular servicing I have only spent for consumables, tyres and brake pads at 77,000 miles together with front discs, my choice. I don't consider that bad going.
I'm firmly of the opinion, " Use it or Lose it ", as the lower milage vehicles seem to have more problems than the well used vehicles.

Interesting point about software adjustment of the power door safety system sensitivity to cure the door “bouncing back” when opening or closing.

Anyone else had this type of “software” based repair confirmed by dealer either under warranty or subsequent.
I was told about this fix when l was having a discussion with a fellow " bounce back "sufferer at a Cali meeting. He had his fixed at Cordwallis Volkswagen Van Centre, Heathrow. They are not a California dealer, but obviously have had a lot of experience with the Caravells used as taxis at Heathrow . I phoned up the service manager, a very helpful guy, and he gave me the relevant fix details. l then passed it on to our dealer. So effectively it was fixed by the help of the club.
If your having " bounce back" or mechanical problems, Cordwallis might be worth contacting.This was back in 2013, so things at VW Dealers do change.

Yep, my bounce back was sorted by a software tweak under warranty…..if I was buying new I would not choose to have a powered door.

Back