Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Failing at removing front fog cover...

S

Sian

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have searched the forum and found some threads on inserting the towing eye and I have read the manual

BUT

I am not getting very far.

My question is: With the hole above the fog light am I meant to be unclipping a button up there? I have pushed upwards with a screwdriver and my hand and nothing is budging except me damaging the plastic with a screwdriver. Or is it a case that you literally use that hole to pull (I assume very hard by the looks of things) the cover off towards you.

I am camping in a field this weekend with no hard standing so want to be prepared should I need a tow out.

Thanks in advance.

Yes you have to put you finger into the hole sure there's a clip to push up and then just pull . They are very stiff feels like your going to break something.

I have searched the forum and found some threads on inserting the towing eye and I have read the manual

BUT

I am not getting very far.

My question is: With the hole above the fog light am I meant to be unclipping a button up there? I have pushed upwards with a screwdriver and my hand and nothing is budging except me damaging the plastic with a screwdriver. Or is it a case that you literally use that hole to pull (I assume very hard by the looks of things) the cover off towards you.

I am camping in a field this weekend with no hard standing so want to be prepared should I need a tow out.

Thanks in advance.
You have to pull very, very hard around the foglight. See here.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/spare-wheel-other-whinges.3796/#post-33691

Damn looks like I am failing at first hurdle as located what felt like the clip but no amount of pushing upwards made it move or creak in the slightest and I have now lost the feeling in my fingers! Looks like a trip to a dealership may be in order.

Thanks Welshgas - I have already seen that post which filled me with confidence that I could do it.... alas I can't release the first clip!

Having tried and failed ... Despite getting a demo from the dealer I have cracked it (not literally). First thing to do is the reverse of what the handbook says, the lug needs to be pulled down by a couple of millimetres not pushed up as my handbook states! The photo shows the lug..View media item 900 If I've managed to upload it!

First thing to do is the reverse of what the handbook says, the lug needs to be pulled down by a couple of millimetres not pushed up as my handbook st
Depends what year your vehicle is on 2008 model you push the clip up.

Depends what year your vehicle is on 2008 model you push the clip up.
VW didn't check the 2013 edition of the handbook! Guess it changed with the 5.1.

ArunAlec - sorry for late reply but you were spot in thank you! Gentle pull down and it detached! Looks like the manual is complety wrong.

ArunAlec - sorry for late reply but you were spot in thank you! Gentle pull down and it detached! Looks like the manual is complety wrong.
Glad to have been of help.

Back