Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which charge controller?

OllieCollieCali

OllieCollieCali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi All, I have recently replaced a solar panel on my van that had given up, with 2 x 120w panels (thanks for all the advice from @Californication69 ) which seem to be working great, but it also looks as though the controller has also packed up. I have removed the controller for 30/40 mins to try a hard reset, but still isnt working.

The battery levels have gone up very slowly with everything connected, from 12.5v to both now 13.1v over an hour or 2, but its not showing any input from the solar which it used to. So I am thinking of replacing this as well.
Current controller is a Sunworks PWM 240w 15a dual battery controller which has been fitted on the outside of the rear cupboard which is good to easily see its all working.

What is the best controller to go for to replace this - obviously i will have a hole in the back of the unit to cover up somehow where the wires currently come through. So either a unit i can fit inside the top of the rear cupboard and maybe a remote screen? or I could replace with the same controller again or similar one that installs in the same location? Ive heard MPPT controllers are better and more efficient, and notice these are what most of you have installed.
Ive heard Eperver duoracer / Victron mentioned quite a bit, Photronic universe looks like they do one the same as the eperver.

All the wiring is done already, so hopefully just a quick swap over of controller.

Many thanks in advance!

PXL_20230826_112702519.jpg

Last edited:
The Victron 75/15 bluetooth unit is more or less within spec of your panels, about 90 quid. If your current panels are wired in series with a PWM controller you're probably looking at some very low efficiency so the 75/15 should produce substantially more energy.

Bluetooth means you can hide the unit away somewhere and monitor it with your phone. It also shows some history.

EPEver are a chinese brand and make credible units although their bluetooth and app are not highly rated.

Those two cover about 90% of the market in question.

Excellent. Thankyou for your reply. The panels are currently wired in Parallel, as I was advised this is better with a PWM controller, although can easily be changed to series for the new controller if needed.
I'd be happy to go with Bluetooth for the readings etc, but conscious that I'll have a hole in the back of the cupboard where the current wires come through, so maybe the duoracer 20a hidden in the cupboard with the remote display to cover up the holes might be easiest.

Current controller was showing 18v coming out of the solar wires, but no reading on the controller. It used to always have a solar reading before the solar panel packed up.

As @yossarian says, bin the controller you have an get the Victron which is a cracking MPPT. Change your panels to wire in series and just place the victron in the back of the units at the top. Your batteries will thank you!

For the hole you will have - just buy an appropriately sized rubber bung? If you want to charge your starter at the same time try the Epever unit, which I now have, but I much preferred the Victron. With two panels the starter trickle charge would be optimal and always be topped up Vs one panel which has tricky parameters before it starts.

You can get an external monitor for the Epever as well - the monitor is fine but as said, the BT module is meant to be pants. Your now talking 200 quid for the two though rather than 100 for a Victron and a rubber bung.

As @yossarian says, bin the controller you have an get the Victron which is a cracking MPPT. Change your panels to wire in series and just place the victron in the back of the units at the top. Your batteries will thank you!

For the hole you will have - just buy an appropriately sized rubber bung? If you want to charge your starter at the same time try the Epever unit, which I now have, but I much preferred the Victron. With two panels the starter trickle charge would be optimal and always be topped up Vs one panel which has tricky parameters before it starts.

You can get an external monitor for the Epever as well - the monitor is fine but as said, the BT module is meant to be pants. Your now talking 200 quid for the two though rather than 100 for a Victron and a rubber bung.
Thankyou very much! That's a good idea with the bung as well!
It's already wired up to charge the starter and the leisure batteries, so makes sense as it's already there to charge both again. So the epever sounds the better option although Ive had experience of victron on bikes and boats so very happy with that. I can get the epever around £100, and a remote LCD screen for £30 so not too bad price wise compared with victron.
Thanks again!

Thankyou very much! That's a good idea with the bung as well!
It's already wired up to charge the starter and the leisure batteries, so makes sense as it's already there to charge both again. So the epever sounds the better option although Ive had experience of victron on bikes and boats so very happy with that. I can get the epever around £100, and a remote LCD screen for £30 so not too bad price wise compared with victron.
Thanks again!
Go With Epever then. The Victron does not have a dual charge controller unfortunately. It’s a big old unit, but I managed to get mine in OK. I know Roger puts them on sideways but that would do my head in.

Go With Epever then. The Victron does not have a dual charge controller unfortunately. It’s a big old unit, but I managed to get mine in OK. I know Roger puts them on sideways but that would do my head in.
Brilliant, thanks! Yeah I don't think I could live with is sideways either, but hopefully fit it inside the cupboard somewhere and have the remote display.

Back