Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Farewell to Cali 6.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with cost cutting (unless quality is compromised) and certainly nothing wrong with moving into electronics based technology.
Example: Flat Screen digital televisions are cheap to produce, feature rich and far more reliable than old fashioned cathode ray tube sets.
Furthermore if the base hardware is well designed additional features and functionality can be added with a software update rather than a hardware swapout.

How many 6.1 critics have a Smartphone, Smart TV, Smart home, etc?
What's the life cycle of a Smartphone/ 3>5 years?
Other software devices have support withdrawn in what seems to be an ever reducing number of years.

Does all this technology actually make life simpler, by the number of queries on how to get the many functions operating on the T6.1 it seems not. T6 had it's fair share also.

T6.1 seems to be just a couple of steps away from an Auto-driving vehicle. If sitting in an armchair whilst travelling is what is required then no issues.

Well what a cracking read this has been!

Oh the trip down memory lane. I was getting washed away with nostalgia, all those arguments of 5.0 v 5.1, 5.1 v 6.0, beach v SE, the "no beach" bitch and now..... 6.0 v 6.1

One thing I will just add, just one thing:

The Cali is more than just a camper for most. It is a second car, or, as in my household, the first car, first even in front of the Beemer. My T6 is a superb driving machine except when going over potholes, better than my previous Cali as one would expect. The fact that it is also a wonderful cocoon to escape from the world in complete comfort is almost a bonus even though that is it's primary function. So when we look at "evolution", it's not just the camping evolution that needs to be judged, it is the "car" experience also.

I will soon be taking delivery of a Hymer Ayers Rock, well "soon" as in sometime this year. If all goes well with other members of my family then I will still be able to keep the Cali. The AR offers in many ways a much better camping experience, A loo, fixed bed and being able to stand up in it being three benefits, but for my forthcoming 50 day bike ride across England and Wales I would prefer the Cali, if only for it's ability to serve as a people and bike carrier along narrow rural roads.

The evolution of the Cali is one of "Don't fix what's not broke". As long as it continues to be the dominant camper in the market place then it's "not broke".

Other software devices have support withdrawn in what seems to be an ever reducing number of years.

Does all this technology actually make life simpler, by the number of queries on how to get the many functions operating on the T6.1 it seems not. T6 had it's fair share also.

T6.1 seems to be just a couple of steps away from an Auto-driving vehicle. If sitting in an armchair whilst travelling is what is required then no issues.
Absolutely agree with your comments about product lifecycles/obsolescence. Very frustrating and needs to change if we really want to save the planet.

Regarding the queries on operating the 6.1, many can be answered by playing with the controls and by RTFM :)
I’ve found the interface to be quite intuitive and think i’m on top of most features/functions. This forum is sometimes the lazy option (guilty myself).

Think the Coast buyers that think they are getting a less high tech van might be in for a shock. The control panel is identical with just the roof up / down option missing off the menu.

Think the Coast buyers that think they are getting a less high tech van might be in for a shock. The control panel is identical with just the roof up / down option missing off the menu.
:D I know, I have informed myself thoroughly and seen several coasts before we ordered ours. But thanks anyway ;)

I can’t fathom why Volkswagen don’t offer the Coast with the bigger engine and 4motion.
That’s where my money would be.

I will probably change vans in 2 years time. Really want another California, but it may not be possible if it means another electric roof or no option for the bigger engine...

I might have to revert back to a conversion :sad
I wanted bigger engine and 4Motion for the Beach - also not available in the UK...
If we carry on having winters like this I will consider buying a second vehicle - but that was not my intention...

I wanted bigger engine and 4Motion for the Beach - also not available in the UK...
If we carry on having winters like this I will consider buying a second vehicle - but that was not my intention...
I've spoken to VWCS. Apparently there's no market for such vehicles...?
Clueless...

Well what a cracking read this has been!

Oh the trip down memory lane. I was getting washed away with nostalgia, all those arguments of 5.0 v 5.1, 5.1 v 6.0, beach v SE, the "no beach" bitch and now..... 6.0 v 6.1

One thing I will just add, just one thing:

The Cali is more than just a camper for most. It is a second car, or, as in my household, the first car, first even in front of the Beemer. My T6 is a superb driving machine except when going over potholes, better than my previous Cali as one would expect. The fact that it is also a wonderful cocoon to escape from the world in complete comfort is almost a bonus even though that is it's primary function. So when we look at "evolution", it's not just the camping evolution that needs to be judged, it is the "car" experience also.

I will soon be taking delivery of a Hymer Ayers Rock, well "soon" as in sometime this year. If all goes well with other members of my family then I will still be able to keep the Cali. The AR offers in many ways a much better camping experience, A loo, fixed bed and being able to stand up in it being three benefits, but for my forthcoming 50 day bike ride across England and Wales I would prefer the Cali, if only for it's ability to serve as a people and bike carrier along narrow rural roads.

The evolution of the Cali is one of "Don't fix what's not broke". As long as it continues to be the dominant camper in the market place then it's "not broke".
Hymer Ayers Rock?
I’m a little bit jealous.
I had a look round one recently, really liked it.

:D I know, I have informed myself thoroughly and seen several coasts before we ordered ours. But thanks anyway ;)

Where would we be without technological advances..

No Steel radial tyres, disk brakes, crumple zones, sat nav, led headlamps, emergency braking system, traction control, fuel injection, inertia seatbelts, airbags, wiper blades, laminated windscreens, anti lock brakes, lane departure warning system, blind spot information systems to name just a few, and in no particular order.
Software has played a massive part in the above list.

Probably been a few turkeys along the way, and some took a few incarnations to get right, but I’m all for technological advances meself, and I love the digital dash!

OK we've talked about the driver aids etc now to the camping as you insist:

New rear bed base - makes accessing the boot far easier without needing a sliding draw.
Reclining bed base- no more leaning up against the rear window blind, choice of angle, brilliant for lounging around.
Heating - ventilation mode, gets cool air circulating
camping mode - keeps the lights you don't want on, off.
New cupboard doors - not just the handles, sliding instead of tambour, far more robust, less likely to jam
USB / USC sockets - more of them
Inverter - twice the wattage
Quick charge mode - charge the leisure batteries from the engine as quick as possible.
Level meter - bit of a gimmick - but if it saves an argument on arrival its fantastic.
Sliding door - soft close - its now just about silent, my hearing isn't brilliant but I have to look to check its actually shut properly, previous van always sounded embarrassingly loud at night.
Night heater - far quieter no ticking fuel pump, more of a low level quieter roar.
Extra pockets on the front seats - no more seat back branderup pockets,, there's extra ones sewn in as standard.

For me the bed base is the best bit, but overall lots of little improvements that add up to quite a lot.

Edited to add - then of course there is the improved upstairs bed & better bellows material.
"as you insist"? I don't recall insisting on anything.

Look I know there have been a whole host of changes on the T6-1 and opinion will vary on each of them. Some may represent an improvement in design over the previous fitting or feature, some not. Some may even be seen as progress but opinion on each aspect will always vary. Whatever my views are on any particular aspect or the package as a whole shouldn't matter to you or anyone else for that matter. What matters is that you or any other current or prospective T6-1 owner are happy with your vans. I really don't see any difference of opinion about aspects of a vehicle as a major issue. I'm happy to continue discussing these matters but not if it is causing bad feeling. It just isn't that important.

Sorry about the tardy reply. We've been home schooling our grandkids. Deep joy!

Borris - if keep asking the same question isn't insisting I don't know what is.

You keep saying is it an improvement - I've given you a long list of improvements, so short answer is yes it is.

But probably totally irrelevant to you as am struggling to think which if any of the super new features are actually fitted to a beach.

Hymer Ayers Rock?
I’m a little bit jealous.
I had a look round one recently, really liked it.

A lot of nice features and good build quality.

Sadly none of the charisma, driving features or "I just want to drive it" of the Cali. Like everything, there's a trade-off.

Borris - if keep asking the same question isn't insisting I don't know what is.

You keep saying is it an improvement - I've given you a long list of improvements, so short answer is yes it is.

But probably totally irrelevant to you as am struggling to think which if any of the super new features are actually fitted to a beach.
Ok so you have answered a question directed to the forum as a whole. Thankyou. As always, all views are both valued and welcomed.

However, I can't help thinking that it's a shame that you feel the need to express your views in quite such an aggressive manner. It's only a debate and as always, other people may have different views.

I can’t fathom why Volkswagen don’t offer the Coast with the bigger engine and 4motion.

I will probably change vans in 2 years time. Really want another California, but it may not be possible if it means another electric roof or no option for the bigger engine...

I might revert to conversion to get a lwb.

Ok so you have answered a question directed to the forum as a whole. Thankyou. As always, all views are both valued and welcomed.
Borris - Thank you for allowing me to express an opinion, very kind of you.

I thought you were asking a genuine question about what improvements there were.
As far as I know, there are only a few of us that have changed from an older model to the new one & there are a lot of things that I haven't seen documented anywhere.

If all I'm going to get is a sarcastic condescending response I won't bother in future.

The lack of love for the T6.1 has me wishing I'd bought a 3 series BMW

I don't remember this hostility from the T5 members when the T6 came out.

Last edited:
Borris - Thank you for allowing me to express an opinion, very kind of you.

I thought you were asking a genuine question about what improvements there were.
As far as I know, there are only a few of us that have changed from an older model to the new one & there are a lot of things that I haven't seen documented anywhere.

If all I'm going to get is a sarcastic condescending response I won't bother in future.

The lack of love for the T6.1 has me wishing I'd bought a 3 series BMW

I don't remember this hostility from the T5 members when the T6 came out.
You talk about sarcasm and yet you start your post with just that. Why?

If I have upset you in some way then I am genuinely sorry. Yes, I was hoping for a proper debate but since it has now descended into little more than a war of words, I think you and I are done.

I genuinely hope that your van is everything you hoped for and gives you years of trouble free motoring.

Yes you have upset me.

Its not just me - look at the responses above, you've upset a number of T6.1 owners.

Just reread your posts.

Last edited:
I might revert to conversion to get a lwb.

Been spoilt with the California over the years.
So many advantages over a conversion. But to be fair. A handful of conversion companies have really upped their game over the last couple of years.
I would consider one, providing I can still get a van with 3zone climate.

I just re-read the original post.
The latest ones seem to have little in connection.
Maybe people could read it before posting again?

Yes you have upset me.

Just reread your posts.

Andy
I think you’ve took it all a little to personal.
It’s time to draw a line under it...

Surely we can agree to disagree.
You’ve made some good points about some of the latest offerings, but they won’t be for everyone.

Will look forward to how things progress going forward. Enjoy the new van :thumb

I just re-read the original post.
The latest ones seem to have little in connection.
Maybe people could read it before posting again?

Yes indeed, it was quality based that quickly turned into a bash the T6.1. I posted number 14 to query this and give an owners response.

There 's opinions and there's facts, and that to me (and maybe others!) is the issue though this thread.
There seems to be many opinions on the unreliability/quality/lack of decent upgrade from a lot of posters who must be 'in the know' as they don't own a T6.1.
Post an opinion and you'll get called out by someone that has evidence to the contrary. Isn't that how it should work?
Post a fact and at times it seems it's still not enough to convince the nay sayers..
Maybe I'm feeling delicate too - bl**dy lockdown...

Yes, LHD only to get 199/4Mo Coast, which is what I ordered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back