Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Faulty air director

altvic

altvic

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
On the rear passenger side air con control one of the thumbwheel air directors does not work and the other one is stiff to rotate. I recently noticed a picture of a similar control posted by @hotel california. Did you remove the innards of the unit yourself, Wim?
This appears to be a 'from new issue' as it's the first time I had touched the rear air conditioner control; I fancy a self fix if an easy one, but need to get inside the unit, Also, I don't relish the thought of taking into VW Llandudno Junction (Synter) as I am not overly confident in their abilities to fix - perhaps a little paranoia creeping in!
This link is to a brief UTube video I made of the issue for clarity:

I am not sure that the video is viewable, but when I copied into browser address bar the URL did work and the video played.
I would be very grateful for any advice / thoughts of why the thumb wheel sticks.

IMHO, you are under warranty so just book it in, l love to attempt fixes, but you risk damaging trim and you may also find that you can’t fix it and will still have to take it in.

I will try and find a section of manual for you so you can see what’s involved.
Edit: Not having much luck finding that bit of manual but most bits like that lever out with trim tools.

Last edited:
I recall when I first got mine I found the thumb wheels really stiff. As it was still under warranty I gave them a bit of silicon spray and used a bit of force, which seemed to work - had it broken I would have then expected it to be fixed under warranty.
They seem ok now although not as smooth and slick as I would expect in a quality vehicle... Clunky!

IMHO, you are under warranty so just book it in, l love to attempt fixes, but you risk damaging trim and you may also find that you can’t fix it and will still have to take it in.

I will try and find a section of manual for you so you can see what’s involved.
Edit: Not having much luck finding that bit of manual but most bits like that lever out with trim tools.

Thanks, Loz. I have a wallet of trim tools but will hang fire for now as you suggest. I'll try @ArunAlec tip with silicon spray and see how this goes. I'll get back.

Thanks, Loz. I have a wallet of trim tools but will hang fire for now as you suggest. I'll try @ArunAlec tip with silicon spray and see how this goes. I'll get back.
Update:
Sprayed silicon into thumb-wheel housing, after a little pressure / force the thumb-wheel 'snapped' free with a click. Don't think anything broken and wheel and fins operating as they shoul do. Not tested in cold anger as yet, will wait until next trip.

Back