Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Faulty bike rack clamp? (Genuine VW rack, new model for 6.1)

mac98aojp

mac98aojp

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hello everyone

I had a few problems with old design and was pleased to replace for the new. But…

Just tried putting bikes on and bike clamp 2 is faulty. The locking wheel locks/unlocks fine but when unlocked (ie to be able to tighten / loosen the clamp) it will not budge an inch. It is stuck ‘open’ with clamp at widest setting. I don’t know what’s jamming it or if it’s rusted over - but any tips on releasing it please?!

(For the prices and known faults these racks are a disappointment).

I really want to avoid the £69 (!) to replace the single clamp. There must be a way of budging it. WD40 is trickling through so I can’t think it’s rusted closed but any more force feels like it’ll break before it turns. It feels like there’s a simple fault causing it to have jammed, or come off the thread or something else I feel I should be able to resolve but alas no!

Any tips really appreciated. I won’t be anything like as practically minded as 99.9% of you here.

Thanks
Adam

Photos may help clarify the problem.

Can you close the clamp by squeezing the jaws by hand? If you can then you’ll be able to see the condition of the screw thread. If rusted/ corroded, small wire brush to clean up as much of exposed thread as possible, and reapply your WD40.

Can you close the clamp by squeezing the jaws by hand? If you can then you’ll be able to see the condition of the screw thread. If rusted/ corroded, small wire brush to clean up as much of exposed thread as possible, and reapply your WD40.
Ok, that’s helpful, thanks. I’ll check when back from holiday. There wasn’t much that I noticed as I recall but worth trying your suggestion.

Back