Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack failure

I had a rack on our last Cali and will be having a tow bar mounted rack on the next just didn't like the rack.

My tow bar mounted Thule rack,It’s as steady as a rock,Hingis down so the tailgate can be opened, I’ve never been a fan of any type of tailgate mounted racks,
also when not carrying bikes there’s a large stowage box that fits on the rack,

68D268DD-67C5-4E55-AD1C-4C31362DFB66.jpeg

Slightly confused on this....
frame clamp still locked closed.

I bought a bar for mine to run from seatpost to stem but now fit the frame clamp it to the shaft of the rear shock. The clamp arrangement on the VW rack is about 30years out of date and I wouldn't trust it unless you can achieve a good fit. (The shaft on the rear shock is perfect)

Any securing of loads should have redundancy: if one attachment fails, the load should not be released. There are many points with my Exodus (Halfords) towbar bike rack that I dislike, but allowing two frame attachment points and both wheels strapped in does give a very reassuring level of redundancy.

You have the T5 rack. It might be 30yrs of date in terms of pretty as a clamp but it was rock solid for 10 years on all kinds of frames and tubes for me.

Mine is the new T6 rack that looks all modern and posh. And resulting in my simple to clamp to road bike disappearing down the road!.

I find towbar racks a total pain. Just my view. I used to use a security strap on my towbar rack as never trusted it.

I’ve reverted to always using security straps, which isn’t ideal but better than the alternative.

I prefer the T5 rack for my bikes to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any securing of loads should have redundancy: if one attachment fails, the load should not be released. There are many points with my Exodus (Halfords) towbar bike rack that I dislike, but allowing two frame attachment points and both wheels strapped in does give a very reassuring level of redundancy.

There were more points with mine. But once the frame clamp failed the chock followed, then the second chock.

The T5 rack strap goes through the aluminium wheel channel which means it’s slightly harder to adjust for different wheelbases but much more robust than the flimsy sliding plastic attachment on the new one which is clearly not intended to be structural so to speak.

I always used to lock the bikes together through wheels and frame so if there was a problem with the on at the back it was locked to the next one.

There were more points with mine. But once the frame clamp failed the chock followed, then the second chock.

The T5 rack strap goes through the aluminium wheel channel which means it’s slightly harder to adjust for different wheelbases but much more robust than the flimsy sliding plastic attachment on the new one which is clearly not intended to be structural so to speak.

If the secondary attachment points aren't strong enough to hold the bike, then they don't add any redundancy, they just aid with positioning. I don't have any experience with tailgate racks so this isn't meant to be a criticism of how you've used it. I second guess myself and my rack everytime I use it and have modified it more than a few times to make it more secure. I think I'll 'upgrade' to a Thule towbar rack next spring, but the single frame attachment which relies on one mechanism to both attach the clamp to the bike and the clamp to the rack doesn't appeal to me.

We have a long cable lock which wraps through the eight wheels of all four bikes and the around bike rack.