Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Felix in Europe Summer 2019

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
You should really take the walk completely down the valley, past Stechelberg, up to the Schmadribachfall. It is a really wonderful place. And not crowded.IMGP1268.JPG

S

SimonMc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Day 7 - Schynige Platte Walk

Somehow, possibly to do with the alcohol last night, we slept right through a heavy downpour and thunderstorm. We woke at 6 am to find that the wind out awning had puddled with water completely so we baked it out with our washing up bowl and then left it on an angle like we should’ve done the night before. One thing I’m going to add to the shopping list is a two meter long one side for nine holes because I think this will do the trick next time.pleased to add that the awning is fine

Today’s plan was to see some beautiful Alpine meadows and meet a few cows. Success. We took the scenic train up from Wilderswil to Schynige Platte - it was stunning as so many things here are.

The views were changing at every turn and opened up into beautiful vistas. We could see glaciers and blue lakes and never tired of it. We set off in the direction of the cow bells when we left the station
and then we took a 3 1/2 hour walk along the ridge overlooking Interlaken and its two beautiful blue lakes.

What was most memorable though is the wildflower meadows here and the wide diversity and high density of flowers. It is a cliche to say it was even better than we expected but it’s true. Way way way better, and hard to put into words.
It was yet again a very hot day and it was nice to stop off although that was there was very little shade about. I did get the drone out once so I’ll hopefully attache pictures here. Here’s one ...

Took the train back down to Wilderswil and we then headed back into Lauterbrunnen for a quick beer and sneaky
then back to the campsite before the thunderstorms came.
When we set up the campervan last week we used the wind out awning and the Vango air beam awning but so far we haven’t had any reason to use the Vango. Until this evening. The heavens opened and we snuck inside the awning and felt pleased that we had it there with us even though it was hellishly hot putting it up with ground being so hard last week.

Dinner, Alsatian wine, bed.

Simon & Angela

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Even those pictures don't do justice to the real thing.
Only when you have been there, you can see right through the picture.
One of the reasons why I love Switzerland!

S

SimonMc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Day8 - Trümmelbach Waterfalls and Interlaken

After brekkie at the campsite we walked south to see the waterfalls which drain the Eiger, Monsch and Jungfrau glaciers. What makes these waterfalls so special is that they are inside the mountain and you can get in there through a tunnel and stairs and lift. They drain up to 20,000 litres per second and deposite tens of thousands of tons of glacial rock annually. They were stunning!. Here are some pictures from my phone which do not do them justice.
. The good pics are on the camera so I’ll upload them later. Back to the Camping Jungfrau for lunch then train into Interlaken and on to the Harder Kulm viewpoint way above the town. While the weather was not as clear as yesterday, it’s still a great spot to visit.

Then on to Interlaken...strolled around found a couple of lovely bars then had an early dinner. There’s some kind of busking festival on at the moment and we hung about for one of the acts. Cracking way to end the day.
Early bed. Fun day planned for tomorrow.

Last edited:
S

SimonMc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Day 9 - First and Grindelwald and Rain

The reason Switzerland is so beautifully green is the sun and the rain. Today’s theme was rain. Here’s the view from the cable car...

We had pre-booked 3 activities to get us down from First to Grindelwald...70kph glider then mountain carts then mountain scooters. We were pretty much the only people there because of the zero visibility and rain. When I/Angela was getting harnessed up for the glider, I/she had a panic and I/she said that I/she didn’t want to do it. Clearly one of us is a coward.
So, I/she went on the carts first...which I/she did but I/she readily admits as scared of and didn’t enjoy. Next was the scooters, which we did twice (4.5km each time) and they take you down into Grindelwald ready for the next chair lift. I/she apologised all day and Angela let me off. This took most of the day.

We’d pre-booked a table at the restaurant at the campsite for 8pm and can tel you it’s a fab place. Food and staff were great. Also come up as #1 restaurant in Lauterbrunnen.

Thank you Switzerland for putting squirts cream in a tinned peach next to my schnitzel and fries! Very 1970s.

Simon & Angela

N

NZCol

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Nice one. Just back, I ran through a lot of that on the Eiger Ultra Marathon ! Rode over from Grindelwald to KS then down to Wengen and Lauterbrunnen then back round. Will be back next year in the van for the race again, 101km this time not the namby pamby 50k !

S

SimonMc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Nice one. Just back, I ran through a lot of that on the Eiger Ultra Marathon ! Rode over from Grindelwald to KS then down to Wengen and Lauterbrunnen then back round. Will be back next year in the van for the race again, 101km this time not the namby pamby 50k !
That’s some effort @nzcoll!

S

SimonMc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
That’s some effort @nzcoll!
Day 10 - last day in Swiss Alps

Started day with walk up the waterfall near campsite.

Cloud quite low so decided to get train via Interlaken to Brienz- the lake is an amazing green/ blue colour. Relaxing picnic by the lake

Took the ferry back to Interlaken stopping off at little villages on the way

Caught train couple of stops then decided to walk back up valley to Lauterbrunnen along the river

Had only second BBQ of the hols with view of the waterfall

Quiet night as off to Annecy tomorrow- managed to pack awning on first go!

Simon and Angela

Last edited:
S

SimonMc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Day 11 - Lauterbrunnen to Annecy via Bern

The title says it all really. Set off early from the campsite and ended up on the slow road to Bern.
It’s gorgeous and reminds me of Newcastle (+ weather) with its rise up from the river. It even has its own version of a Grey Street. Would love to go back and spend a few days there. Poor led down to Annecy, set up at Campsite Belvedere about 1km south of the city, then spent the late afternoon and night wandering, eating and drinking.
Walked back al 11.30pm. You provide your own loo roll at the campsite. Savages.

I’ll do a write up of all the places we end up staying, for reference.

Happy hols!
Simon & Angela

Azteccamper

Azteccamper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Day 11 - Lauterbrunnen to Annecy via Bern

The title says it all really. Set off early from the campsite and ended up on the slow road to Bern.
It’s gorgeous and reminds me of Newcastle (+ weather) with its rise up from the river. It even has its own version of a Grey Street. Would love to go back and spend a few days there. Poor led down to Annecy, set up at Campsite Belvedere about 1km south of the city, then spent the late afternoon and night wandering, eating and drinking.
Walked back al 11.30pm. You provide your own loo roll at the campsite. Savages.

I’ll do a write up of all the places we end up staying, for reference.

Happy hols!
Simon & Angela

I’m really enjoying reading about this trip. Like your taste in food and drink too

S

SimonMc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Day 12 - Lake Annecy

After a lazy breakfast we walked down into Annecy and hired bikes. You pay on return so we weren’t rushed, and chose as most people hiring bikes seem to do, to ride around Lake Annecy (clockwise as recommended). From the start it was great ... beautiful views, no steep uphills (great as the bikes were basic), plenty of villages en route.
We stopped at Talloires and bought salads for lunch which we ate 5 minutes later at the lake shore in the shade.
The total ride was 45km and mostly on cycle paths. We saw over 1000 bikes doing the same thing . Back to campsite for a shower then headed back into lovely Annecy
for drinks at Le Munich
and dinner somewhere in the old town. Angela had a fab Moules au Curry and I didn’t.

Bed by 10.30. Geneva tomorrow.

Simon & Angela

B

bloomers100

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Excellent, thanks for sharing

Swiss Cheese

Swiss Cheese

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Great commentary on your trip, thanks for sharing!

We live in Switzerland and go to Brienz every year to see Ballenberg the open air museum of Swiss houses. Coincidently we just arrived back from France today, where we stopped by Annecy on the outbound leg. Are you headed to Sisteron? We also went over the Col du Glandon which at 1924m is not for the feint hearted...

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We also went over the Col du Glandon which at 1924m is not for the feint hearted...
Nice road. Would love to drive my California over that bendy road.
Feint hearted? I have done worse already, maybe not on that heigt, but have been higher as I went to the Rhone glacier in 2010. And to the parking for the cabane de Moiry.

S

SimonMc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Great commentary on your trip, thanks for sharing!

We live in Switzerland and go to Brienz every year to see Ballenberg the open air museum of Swiss houses. Coincidently we just arrived back from France today, where we stopped by Annecy on the outbound leg. Are you headed to Sisteron? We also went over the Col du Glandon which at 1924m is not for the feint hearted...
I’m free for 2 weeks on Sunday with no plans as yet so I’ll take a look at all recommendations. Thanks!
Simon

S

SimonMc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Day 13 - Annecy to Geneva

Yesterday we cycled past a lovely spot for Felix so we headed there for breakfast this morning. Peace and quiet.

We decided to avoid the A roads and take the back roads. Eventually made it to Camping Pointe a la Bise just east along the lake of Geneva. Wow, what a fab place. Not cheap though, being Swiss. We prebooked the best pitch with a lake view and got set up. Today is National Swiss Day and we grabbed a few free leftovers from a party they threw in the morning. Wandering round the campsite we past by folk eating lunch in the restaurant and it looked too good to miss. Nearly everyone was having the fillets of perch in a lemon butter sauce so that was decided. Came with a free salad as first course.
. I’d never had a dish like this before...small fillets of perch (about a dozen in total) all beautifully cooked and draped in a light sauce. Chips were lovely too. Taken with a drop of wine, and no room for desserts.

The pitch is as close to Lake Geneva as it could be, so I’m happy for the next 3 days. Here’s a view from the van and back to the van.
(Felix is the one on the right). The Cali’s have bagged the best plots!!
We wandered briefly through bits of Geneva but most businesses are close for Swiss Day. The local park was getting set up for a night of fun..music, food, procession, fireworks and bonfire but we decided to head back and chill by the lake. This is lovely. Tomorrow our two girls fly out for the weekend. Highlight of the trip.

Regards, Simon & Angela

Swiss Cheese

Swiss Cheese

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
I’m free for 2 weeks on Sunday with no plans as yet so I’ll take a look at all recommendations. Thanks!
Simon

I recommend Lac du Croix and Gorge du Verdon area. We stayed at Moustier Ste Marie 4 nights straight and loved that area. There are sites all around, but the one we found suited us as it was quiet with very clean facilities and washing machines! Also had a pizza van on-site to make life easy, and walking distance to the village. Swimming in the lake was great, best at a place called Bauduen at the other (south) end of the lake.

S

SimonMc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I recommend Lac du Croix and Gorge du Verdon area. We stayed at Moustier Ste Marie 4 nights straight and loved that area. There are sites all around, but the one we found suited us as it was quiet with very clean facilities and washing machines! Also had a pizza van on-site to make life easy, and walking distance to the village. Swimming in the lake was great, best at a place called Bauduen at the other (south) end of the lake.
Thanks. I’ll take a look
Simon

S

SimonMc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Day 14 - Taking It Easy in Geneva

I usually write the post the day after, but I did yesterday’s in the evening. After I posted it all kicked off. We set ourselves up by the lake edge with of course the Cali chairs, and watched more fireworks than I’ve ever seen across the lake. There were about 20 different places setting them off all along the western shore of the lake, and some were being set off right by us too. Great fun! Why can’t we make St George’s day this good?

We decided that this was the one day we would not rush around. So, brekkie by the lake, games in the park, swim in Lake Geneva, a balmy 23°C water temperature.

We had ducklings

In the late afternoon we upped sticks to go into town to meet our two lovelies. They found us in a bar (well done kids).
. Quick beer or two then I had my arm twisted and we went to the perfect Relais de l’Entrecôte restaurant. We’ve been a couple of times to one of her sister restaurants in Paris the way it works is there is no menu but they bring you a great salad Then steak frites in a secret sauce followed by seconds. We sneaked in some pud too. Recommended!!!

It’s lovely having the girls here and even though we’ve owned Feli for just over a year, tonight marks the first time we have all slept in the van as a family of four. We gave the girls the top bed. Grrr.
Tomorrow we go to CERN! So excited.

Simon, Angela, Katherine & Rachel x

Our Partners