Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ferry Ireland - Book early or just show up?

DaNish

DaNish

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I think about going from Denmark to Ireland this summer - end June - mid July.

We would like to be as independent in our planning as possible and we prefer driving to sailing.
So we expect to go through Britain and then to Ireland. Driving distances from Dover/Folkstone to any of the ferry routes to Ireland is not that different in our opinion, maybe 3-5 hours. So any route could probably do.
Any information if it is realistic just to show up and get a ferry. Alternatively book same day or the day before, when you have decided that its time to go?
And any views on crossing the Channel: Tunnel or Ferry.
Have done both on my bike, but it is many years ago, so like to have some current knowledge.

Thanks a lot up front.

And any views on crossing the Channel: Tunnel or Ferry.
Tunnel: quick, reliable, good if you have dogs, relatively expensive.
Ferry: slower, bad weather can be a problem, dogs must be left on car deck, cheaper.

We have used the tunnel since 2006, but we cross 8-10 times a year and time is important to us. In the summer, with no dogs, the ferry will be fine and gives you a good break from driving.

. Driving distances from Dover/Folkstone to any of the ferry routes to Ireland is not that different in our opinion, maybe 3-5 hours.

I think 3-5 hours is a bit optimistic unless theres a ferry from Dover!

Dover to Holyhead is just under 400 miles & includes half a lap of the m25

Dover to Fishgard is 350 miles with half the m25, the m4 and the severn bridge.

Very much depends on the time of year & day, but I would have thought more like 8-10 hours

Do they do a ferry to Hull or Newcastle? rather than Dover either of those would give you a more pleasant cross country route to liverpool / Holyhead.
Or for a proper adventure - can you do Denmark to Norway to Shetland to Aberdeen ?

The A55 (road along top of Wales to Holyhead) on a weekend once the schools break up or earlier if it's nice weather can be very slow. I don't even bother trying to leave the house at the weekends in summer.

I think 3-5 hours is a bit optimistic unless theres a ferry from Dover!

Sorry, if I was not clear. I meant that the difference between going form Dover to either Fishguard, Holyhead or Cairnryan is not more that 3-5 hours, so I am not particular on which crossing to take.

So if there is any reason to choose or avoid any of them, I would be interested to know.

And for the beautiful adventure idea - unfortunately a no go. From Denmark you could get to Faroe Islands, but not onwards toward Scotland.

P&O Rotterdam to Hull would put you on a good motorway link for crossing to west coast. You don't say if heading for Eire or Northern Ireland which ever one would require specific ferry crossing options.

Sorry, if I was not clear. I meant that the difference between going form Dover to either Fishguard, Holyhead or Cairnryan is not more that 3-5 hours, so I am not particular on which crossing to take.

So if there is any reason to choose or avoid any of them, I would be interested to know.

And for the beautiful adventure idea - unfortunately a no go. From Denmark you could get to Faroe Islands, but not onwards toward Scotland.

If it were me, I'd be very tempted to do a circuit taking in all five countries of the British Isles:
- Dover to Fishguard - England and Wales
- Fishguard to Rosslare ferry
- Rosslare to Belfast - Ireland and Northern Ireland
- Belfast to Cairnryan ferry
- Cairnryan to Dover - Scotland and England

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

As I said, doubt very much you'd get from Dover to Holyhead in that time...likewise Fishguard. In summer, no chance, if the A55 is backed up.

Ignore me, I see what you mean now & can't delete. (-;

The A55 is bad tho in summer.

P&O Rotterdam to Hull would put you on a good motorway link for crossing to west coast. You don't say if heading for Eire or Northern Ireland which ever one would require specific ferry crossing options.
I am going to Ballina, Mayo, so Dublin and Belfast is a bit closer than Roslare, but difference is not that big.
Rotterdam to Hull seem to be a 12 h crossing, which is a bit more than I would prefer. But noticed that it is possible to go Hook van Holland - Harwich in 6.5 hours. Might be an idea.

Cherbourg to Rosslare. Crossing take 17 hours. But you avoid the busy UK motorways and arrive in the south of Ireland.

I am going to Ballina, Mayo, so Dublin and Belfast is a bit closer than Roslare, but difference is not that big.
Rotterdam to Hull seem to be a 12 h crossing, which is a bit more than I would prefer. But noticed that it is possible to go Hook van Holland - Harwich in 6.5 hours. Might be an idea.
Hook of Holland to Harwich, good trip. Overnight crossing and arrive refreshed.

Hook of Holland to Harwich, good trip. Overnight crossing and arrive refreshed.
That looks like a really good possibility. It looks like a price of 175 pound, a bit more than the tunnel, but 2 hours shorter drive for me and a nights sleep.
Then it looks like a 5-6 hours to both Holyhead and Fishguard, and 7-8 hours to Cairnryan. Any preferences?

That looks like a really good possibility. It looks like a price of 175 pound, a bit more than the tunnel, but 2 hours shorter drive for me and a nights sleep.
Then it looks like a 5-6 hours to both Holyhead and Fishguard, and 7-8 hours to Cairnryan. Any preferences?

To get to all three you pass through some stunning British countryside. Perhaps driving on the A5 through Snowdonia to Holyhead beats the M4 past the Black Mountains to Fishguard. But if you want remoteness, drive over the Galloway Hills to Cairnryan.

Ignore me, I see what you mean now & can't delete. (-;

The A55 is bad tho in summer.
Just to clarify the A55 can be bad but usually only westbound on a Friday afternoon and eastbound on a Sunday.

Cherbourg to Rosslare. Crossing take 17 hours. But you avoid the busy UK motorways and arrive in the south of Ireland.
To get to all three you pass through some stunning British countryside. Perhaps driving on the A5 through Snowdonia to Holyhead beats the M4 past the Black Mountains to Fishguard. But if you want remoteness, drive over the Galloway Hills to Cairnryan.

With my preferences I go for Holyhead on the way over, since I have to reach Ireland at specific time and then linger back over Cairnryan and see what happens.
The event I am going to Ireland for coincide with the Tenby meet, so I will not be able to make that:(
Any need to book ahead for Holyhead and Cairnryan?

Just to clarify the A55 can be bad but usually only westbound on a Friday afternoon and eastbound on a Sunday.
Whilst I agree with that, last summer was bad with crashes. My house overlooks the "old road", so when cars are backed outside, I have a look at Google maps & #A55. There is actually a massive FB group just for A55 incidents, but I've not joined that...

I live in Belfast, if you need any local info, feel free to get in-touch.

I normally go via Dunkirk-Dover or Hook-of-Holland to Harwich then either Holyhead-Dublin or Cairnryan-Belfast..... These routes are quite similar and both have points of interest along the way.

If you make it to Belfast, try and take the Antrim Coast Road North.... I know you are going to Mayo, but the Antrim Coast Road, is worth a detour when so close.....

North Wales is nice also..... Dublin can be a bit tricky with traffic etc, whereas Belfast more relaxed.

As suggested above, I would try to go one way, and return another, so it'll be a win-win..... Fishguard-Rosslare is a bit remote, so I would strike this option off the list.

You can book in-advance, and book a Flexi-fare so you can amend..... There is a discount to booking in-advance, bit not that much (not like the airlines.)

Use the www.aferry.co.uk website for best deals, and book as car class, by selecting VW California from the drop-down menu.

When in Mayo..... The road from Westport to Clifton is great, Connemara is beautiful in general.... Cliffs of Moher etc etc.... Plenty of tourist traps in Ireland West tho, so bring plenty of Euros..... Whereas, if you prefer more authentic/laid-back..... And plenty of free parking/wild camping etc, get some £sterling, and it will go a long way in Northern Ireland......

If you did the ferry to Newcastle then the Cairnryan Belfast option makes sense and it's a nice easy, scenic drive east to west across the UK.
I booked it in August last year a couple of days before we went so probably ok leaving it fairly late.

It's unusual for the ferry to Ireland to be fully booked, perhaps on a Friday evening on a bank-holiday weekend. Or, other similar pinch points. However, it is normally possible to just arrive at the ferry terminal and book onto the next crossing, there is a bit of a premium charge for doing this, but not that significant.

When traveling by motorcycle, this is how I always do it. As motorbikes are fixed-fare for me, as I'm in a club with a loyalty scheme.

The ferry is primarily used to ship unaccompanied freight.... So, they tend to prioritise passenger vehicles, and catch-up with the freight overnight on the quiet crossings.

Last edited:
Dublin ring road is tolled, maybe opening an on line account before you go is easiest. Beautiful scenery in the south west, very badly surfaced minor roads, campsites ok. Suggest going via northern Ireland and returning via Rosslare to Fishguard to see as much as you can. Irish very friendly, but several locals observed that 'no-one visits Ireland for the weather' when we were there!

Thanks for reminding med of the M50 toll and the solution to pay for it. I have been to Ireland quite a few times in rental cars, and I did worry a bit on how to pay the M50 toll once. But last time I had a rental, where the company took care of the tolls, so I had forgot all about. But this will be the first visit in our own car.

So we have noticed the wonders of Irish weather. Last time we noticed that the closer you get to a viewpoint, the shorter the visibility. At zero visibility you have reached the viewpointo_O

And we keep coming back, as we do to Norway, Scotland and Wales. Saves a lot on sun lotion.

Thank you for all the helpful advice. We have booked a Flexi ticket from Hook van Holland to Harwich, since that departure fits perfectly, with a nice days drive from Copenhagen and then the ferry at 10 PM.

Will probably go Holyhead - Dublin out and Belfast - Cairnryan back. Would be a great chance to see Anthrim as Jonathan suggested.