Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fiamma Bike Cover - don't!

C

ChrisO

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I have a Fiamma Carry-Bike two bike carrier for my T5 California for over 6 years and have been happy with it.

Going away on holiday to Italy this summer, I wanted a cover for the bikes to protect from rain and road grime especially on long motorway drives. Fiamma seemed the obvious place to go for a quality product and I worked out (following some research) that their Premium S cover was compatible with a T5 whereas their other covers are designed for motorhomes; cost £75. It also had a pocket for the red-white warning sign too.
Fitting was a bit of a mission but, with assistance from YouTube, I managed to work it out and have it in place for our drive to Le Shuttle and beyond.
Anyway, within 24 hours the seams started falling apart at the corners and I was using 2 additional straps to secure the cover so that it didn't flap around (attached pic was after this first day of driving!).
By the time we had returned from Italy it had completely failed: the zippers had fallen off, so the zip did not do up and both corners had no functioning seams. The fact there were little tears from sharper bits of the bikes were a minor issue!

Long and short of it: don't waste your cash on a Fiamma bike cover!
Trying to get in touch with Fiamma to complain - there's another issue. No customer service email or phone number!!!

IMG_9568.jpeg

I have a Fiamma Carry-Bike two bike carrier for my T5 California for over 6 years and have been happy with it.

Going away on holiday to Italy this summer, I wanted a cover for the bikes to protect from rain and road grime especially on long motorway drives. Fiamma seemed the obvious place to go for a quality product and I worked out (following some research) that their Premium S cover was compatible with a T5 whereas their other covers are designed for motorhomes; cost £75. It also had a pocket for the red-white warning sign too.
Fitting was a bit of a mission but, with assistance from YouTube, I managed to work it out and have it in place for our drive to Le Shuttle and beyond.
Anyway, within 24 hours the seams started falling apart at the corners and I was using 2 additional straps to secure the cover so that it didn't flap around (attached pic was after this first day of driving!).
By the time we had returned from Italy it had completely failed: the zippers had fallen off, so the zip did not do up and both corners had no functioning seams. The fact there were little tears from sharper bits of the bikes were a minor issue!

Trying to get in touch with Fiamma to complain - there's another issue. No customer service email or phone number!!!

View attachment 126959
Bike covers on Motorhome bike carriers are fine as they are in the " Dead Zone " protected by the motorhome.
On the California tailgate rack such covers are totally exposed and are very likely to fail as they are exposed to a 70mph gale at motorway speeds.
If you want to use a cover then a towbar bike rack is really required.

Take it off and you will get an extra 10mpg
It’s acting as a parachute behind your van.

I never use a bike cover. Just wipe your bike with a damp cloth when arriving.

I never use a bike cover. Just wipe your bike with a damp cloth when arriving.
Thanks!
That's a nice thought with ordinary driving around (when I'd never plan to use a cover). For long drives where there is a likelihood of sustained rain and the problem of grit etc blowing up from the road, the risk is of moisture and worse penetrating into the bike mechanisms that would need more than a damp cloth to deal with.

I had a heavy duty cover made for a specific application by coversandall.co.uk

It was made in India but the workmanship and service was brilliant. But you only get what you pay for, it wasn't cheap!

PXL_20210924_071838635.jpg

View attachment 126959
Oh did you not read the fine print? That is a feature! When the cover looks like in tatters, then the thieves don't care to look at the bike underneath!

.. :)hide)

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk