Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Finally joined the club..

Steve_D

Steve_D

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi all, after saving for what seemed like an eternity and viewing numerous Cali‘s, we have finally taken the plunge. My original intention was a low mileage 2018/2019 ocean, but post lockdown, the market exploded and so did the price. At that point, and with the price gap significantly closed, it made more sense to look towards the 6.1 and was lucky enough to come across a beautiful low mileage copper and candy white Ocean (199) and so far, I could not be happier. She’s a dream to own and drive and we had her first outing to the Llyn Peninsula a couple of weeks ago and are both now truly hooked and already planning our next trips away! Have been following this site for quite a while, however have only just registered and really looking forward to contributing, learning from others experience and getting to know people!
4E2B79EB-846B-43C5-9986-6D2BB866F284.jpeg82B1D964-52CC-49BE-B702-587368328E24.jpegD43D322C-895E-439A-84BB-47B28A060E45.jpeg

Ordered ours this week and like you was originally looking at late 6’s but the 6.1’s are now not much more so worth the extra.

Very jealous you have yours, we have 5 months to wait.

Nice one, welcome aboard.

Ordered ours this week and like you was originally looking at late 6’s but the 6.1’s are now not much more so worth the extra.

Very jealous you have yours, we have 5 months to wait.
Hi there, I’m sure will be worth the wait as well as just in time for spring/summer by the sounds! Yes, looked at an 18 plate 4motion T6 which was lovely with all the bells and whistles but this one was 2 years younger with less than a 1000 miles on the clock and only £5K more - which although still a significant sum, it was a no brainier really! Good luck with the new Cali when she arrives!

Perfect colour. I’m biased
A65D079D-280B-4223-A321-37794865E04C.jpeg

Hi all, after saving for what seemed like an eternity and viewing numerous Cali‘s, we have finally taken the plunge. My original intention was a low mileage 2018/2019 ocean, but post lockdown, the market exploded and so did the price. At that point, and with the price gap significantly closed, it made more sense to look towards the 6.1 and was lucky enough to come across a beautiful low mileage copper and candy white Ocean (199) and so far, I could not be happier. She’s a dream to own and drive and we had her first outing to the Llyn Peninsula a couple of weeks ago and are both now truly hooked and already planning our next trips away! Have been following this site for quite a while, however have only just registered and really looking forward to contributing, learning from others experience and getting to know people!
View attachment 68453View attachment 68455View attachment 68454
Wow what a find, not many second hand 6.1s around! Ex-demonstrator?

Did some T6.1 Oceans come without the opening window on the sliding door then? Both of these in the photos don’t have it, but I thought it was standard?

Yes, read they were standard but most, infact all I think, the reviews I read and watched didn’t have it either from what I could see.

How odd! We’ve just ordered an Ocean so we’ll have to see what it turns up with. I’d actually prefer the double glazed window instead of a sliding opener, but couldn’t see any choice on the options list etc. Strange!

Yes, I checked on the vw new van configurator after the event and couldn’t see anything - very odd! Keep me posted and good luck with your new ocean!

Yes and you. If yours is the one that was in the showroom about 3 weeks ago then we’ve had a look at it in person just before we ordered ours. The wood effect floor is lovely and you’ve got the fancy upgraded sat nav unit too :)

Have fun, it looks lovely. It is your first?

Yes that’s the one - came with some really nice extras.. tow bar prep was a must for me also so I can get a rack on her for the the ebike!
Yes first Cali, will this be yours too?

Ahh yes, the all essential bike rack - we have a fold up Thule one (https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-easyfold-xt-2-_-933300) and with a couple of the plastic stops removed under it you can lay it down whilst on the van and open the tailgate no problem. We also like the ability to take it off quickly and pop it in the living area when we’re parked up as it keeps the length of the van short.

We’ve had a T6 Ocean since March 2018 and the T6.1 should be delivered roughly Mar/Apr 21, so about 3 years after our first.

We’ve loved having ours and it is just such a universal vehicle. It really can do pretty much everything and with the 199/204 engine it even has a decent turn of speed when needed too.

Ahh yes, the all essential bike rack - we have a fold up Thule one (https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-easyfold-xt-2-_-933300) and with a couple of the plastic stops removed under it you can lay it down whilst on the van and open the tailgate no problem. We also like the ability to take it off quickly and pop it in the living area when we’re parked up as it keeps the length of the van short.

We’ve had a T6 Ocean since March 2018 and the T6.1 should be delivered roughly Mar/Apr 21, so about 3 years after our first.

We’ve loved having ours and it is just such a universal vehicle. It really can do pretty much everything and with the 199/204 engine it even has a decent turn of speed when needed too.
That looks a cracking bike rack and perfect for ebikes, that’s exactly what I’d be after - thank you for that. I was initially looking at the Thule Wonderway 2 Tailgate rack option, be great for my road bike but wasn’t sure about deadlifting 24KG of ebike up and down!
Nice - we looked at some fine T6’s and yours sounds like it’s been a great example.. as I mentioned, was only the smaller price gap that swung the 6.1.. You’re absolutely right though, such a great utility vehicles and with the bigger engine, drive beautifully - I’ve actually kept my car for now and for at least the winter to keep the daily miles off of the van, but could actually see it as a very practical everyday vehicle if you chose to use it that way - in all likely hood I’ll continue to run both though!
Would you happen to have any tips for decent seat covers? Looked at the Inca waterproof ones, but not sure how comfortable they’d be as a permanent fixture!

Yes.
MY21 on has the side window.
Yes very odd - maybe it was just the early examples that didn’t have it ‍♂️.. I love the bay leaf colour and wheels that you’ve gone for! Sat Nav Pro is awesome btw.. good luck with the new van!

That looks a cracking bike rack and perfect for ebikes, that’s exactly what I’d be after - thank you for that. I was initially looking at the Thule Wonderway 2 Tailgate rack option, be great for my road bike but wasn’t sure about deadlifting 24KG of ebike up and down!
Nice - we looked at some fine T6’s and yours sounds like it’s been a great example.. as I mentioned, was only the smaller price gap that swung the 6.1.. You’re absolutely right though, such a great utility vehicles and with the bigger engine, drive beautifully - I’ve actually kept my car for now and for at least the winter to keep the daily miles off of the van, but could actually see it as a very practical everyday vehicle if you chose to use it that way - in all likely hood I’ll continue to run both though!
Would you happen to have any tips for decent seat covers? Looked at the Inca waterproof ones, but not sure how comfortable they’d be as a permanent fixture!

We have a set of the genuine VW ones (which are Inka ones with OCEAN written on them !). They are quite comfy and can be left on all the time if needed. We tend to only put ours on if we know we are going somewhere dirty / mountain biking etc.

We went for (and have ordered again) the ArtVelours interior which just wipes down with wet water wipes and is quite a miracle of being able to be kept clean. We’re not big fans of seat covers generally but the Inka ones do work well And are easy to put on / take off

Great - thanks for that, yes most of our trips include mountain biking and/or hiking so good to hear that they’re practical enough to leave on if needs be and easily removed if we need to. I really like the ArtVelours interior though and sounds much more practical, we’d have definitely looked at that if we’d have spec’d it from new.. what colour is your T6 btw and what did you go for this time around?

We've gone for a combination of brave and sensible - Indium Grey with a Red pop top!!

We originally thought we really would want the Fortana Red but saw a T6.1 combi in the flesh in it on an overcast day and didn't like it.

We considered candy white but we remember when you could order oryx white (metallic) in the T6 and we preferred that, so Grey was the default choice after that.

Time will tell how we feel about the red bellows. I think they will make us smile every time we open the pop top but I am a little concerned about not getting the new darkened fabric on the inside of the new T6.1 grey pop top as that looked brilliant.

Sounds really nice - I reckon the grey red combo will work really well and definitely add the smile factor! Can’t comment on the T6 but the top bed in the T6.1 with the new spring system gave us a fabulous night’s sleep and expect every colour with the new fabric will provide increased black out properties.

Yes very odd - maybe it was just the early examples that didn’t have it ‍♂.. I love the bay leaf colour and wheels that you’ve gone for! Sat Nav Pro is awesome btw.. good luck with the new van!

Thanks, Loving your 2 tone but the extra £££ was a step too far for me. However after a few years of Audi ownership my wife said 'no more grey vehicles' so BLG it was!
It sounds like you might have a MY20 build year which is a good thing. Do you have a DSG gearbox sport mode & A/C cooled glove box because thats gone for MY21?

Thanks - tbh I wouldn't have spec'd the 2 tone from new I don't think because of the ridiculous cost! Funny, all my cars have been silver, grey or black and my Mrs said exactly the same! lol.. Yes think I must have, it's definitely got the DSG sport mode - not sure about the AC cooled glove box, the glove box is pretty small so that would definitely be over kill! :)