Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fire extinguisher mounting

S

shambly

Guest User
Our fire extinguisher has been rattling around in the drivers door pocket since we got it. I decided today was the day to mount is somewhere and the front of the drivers seat seemed a good reachable place to put it. I didn't want to make any holes in our Cali so made up a couple of brackets to use a pair of existing holes in the seat frame.

Here is the extinguisher mounted (note to self, clean the bus):

extinguisher.jpg

And the brackets (these were printed on a 3d printer in ABS):

bracket.jpg

Simon

Good work Simon. Nice and neat :thumb

I mounted it in the under-bench drawer, drilling 2 holes. I like your sollution Simon.

One concern, are the brackets strong enough to keep the thing in place in case of accident?

Andrzej

That is where my extinguisher is, but I drilled holes in seat base to mount bracket. I don't have the skill or ability to make those smart looking brackets like you have Simon !

Problem with extinguishers is they should be tested every year or two & in my experience this costs as much as a new one !! I have three old 5KG & 10KG ones in my garage just waiting for a fire to find out they no longer work !!

I love the concept of that Printer Simon.

Roughly what do you think something like that costs you to make in materials?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stu,

Its a proper industrial Stratasys printer rather than a makerbot or similar 'hobby' printer.

Cost of those brackets to me is about £6 ex VAT.

Simon

I think that's a brilliant price to be honest. I was expecting more. Obviously doesn't account for the machine but you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One day we'll be able to print our own Cali :thumb

Stu,

Its a proper industrial Stratasys printer rather than a makerbot or similar 'hobby' printer.

Cost of those brackets to me is about £6 ex VAT.

Simon

Hi Simon, our fire extinguisher has spent the last 2 years in a box in the boot (!) and this is the location I was looking at today to mount ours.

Would you be prepared to print and sell a pair of these brackets?

Mine is kept under the back of the R front seat. Pull on the plastic cover and there is a large space. Easy to get too from the central cabin.
BUT, what would you use it for?
Having seen a number of vehicle fires, I will take the firefighters advice. Get Out and Stay Out.
Cooking fires. Switch off gas and use a fire blanket.
I think I would probably end up using an extinguisher on an external fire only.
Mind you at VW prices for parts and labour a fire damaged California would probably be an Insurance write off.

Mine sits in the drivers door pocket.

In the event of a vehicle fire my only ambition is to get out of the vehicle. If I get my hands on the extinguisher it will be to protect me. To hell with the van, it's insured and replaceable.

Mine is kept under the back of the R front seat. Pull on the plastic cover and there is a large space. Easy to get too from the central cabin.
BUT, what would you use it for?
Having seen a number of vehicle fires, I will take the firefighters advice. Get Out and Stay Out.
Cooking fires. Switch off gas and use a fire blanket.
I think I would probably end up using an extinguisher on an external fire only.
Mind you at VW prices for parts and labour a fire damaged California would probably be an Insurance write off.
I looked at this location, but on the outside of the seat base with ethe extinguisher fixed through the plastic but I didn't want to drill th elastic, plus it looked a little unsightly from the main cabin. Under the seat is plenty of space but I didn't spot an obvious mounting position so it wouldn't roll around.

I agree on your point on the fire, but it's a piece of mind thing having it in a reasonably accessible position inside the main vehicle.

Mine sits in the drivers door pocket.

In the event of a vehicle fire my only ambition is to get out of the vehicle. If I get my hands on the extinguisher it will be to protect me. To hell with the van, it's insured and replaceable.
That's a good spot, I'll have another look. I normally keep the bag with the window blinds in that pocket.

I also have one of those little hammers to smash hardened glass in the event of an accident.

Unnecessary if I have my mother in law in the vehicle ... I just ask her to breath on the windscreen and it melts :shocked

I looked at this location, but on the outside of the seat base with ethe extinguisher fixed through the plastic but I didn't want to drill th elastic, plus it looked a little unsightly from the main cabin. Under the seat is plenty of space but I didn't spot an obvious mounting position so it wouldn't roll around.

I agree on your point on the fire, but it's a piece of mind thing having it in a reasonably accessible position inside the main vehicle.

Mine just lies on the floor, on a piece of foam with a cutout and then put the cover back on. It doesn't roll around. I know where it is and I'm the only one who will be using it

Back