Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First California! Excited! Advice welcome please!

I

Intrepidgirl76

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Hello!
We have just purchased a lovely T6 Beach, picking up next week, very excited!

Please can someone recommend somewhere to get the cam belt and water pump done and some new alloys? We live in Woking.

Also any recommendations for must have accessories? We have 3 kids and can’t wait for our camping trips and day trips. We’ll probably need an awning with sleeping compartment. Storage ideas etc welcome.
Thanks Rosie

You’ll be using that search function at the top right and about 6 months of your life to research.
Too many ways and things to explain in a single
Reply.
Maybe a thread of 600 answers.
Just get out there and enjoy it.
Good Luck

Hello!

Please can someone recommend somewhere to get the cam belt and water pump done and some new alloys? We live in Woking.

Also any recommendations for must have accessories? We have 3 kids and can’t wait for our camping trips and day trips. We’ll probably need an awning with sleeping compartment. Storage ideas etc welcome.
Thanks Rosie
As said, the search function is your friend. Everyone has their own must and must not’s and the reality is you have to work out your own. The best way to do this is get out and enjoy it. Try drive away awning and accessories as search terms and search by date.

Did anyone mention the search button? Top tip buy nothing expensive until you've used the van for a while. You're already winning with a Beach (and ducks and runs as is traditional)

Last edited:
Can’t give you a recommendation for the work but make sure your gearbox and haldex get serviced at the correct intervals. Think they are both 40k miles.

Hello!

Thanks Rosie
Re water pump and cam belt: a VW Commercials dealer will undertake the work and give you a 2 year warranty but it will cost! Alternatively find a local independent with a good reputation and they will probably do it for £200 less than VW Commercials and you will have to ask them about warranty but don't expect 2 years. Now my T6 is out of VW warranty I use an excellent local independent.

:welcome To the Beach club ,

two game changers :
1 : compressor fridge / freezer (not a thermo cool box) cfx35 is ideal for my Fam fits in various configurations within the van
2: Vanessa window bags

edit : if buying from a dealer , get them to do the Cam belt as part of the deal ?
wheels = multicoloured auction site

two game changers :
1 : compressor fridge / freezer (not a thermo cool box) cfx35 is ideal for my Fam fits in various configurations within the van

edit : if buying from a dealer , get them to do the Cam belt as part of the deal ?
+ a slide out boot tray.

2nd hand Vango Galli awning.

+ a slide out boot tray.

2nd hand Vango Galli awning.
I would suggest waiting re awning. I purchased one when we got our first van - disaster! Try without then if you need the extra space go for it. In our opinion - pain to put up, pain to take down, pain to store - especially if wet and it blocked the view from the door. There is only two of us however. If there are four plus dog it may well be that an awning is a must. Try before you buy.

Hello!

Thanks Rosie
What do you have to do with the cam belt and water pump?

Leave the alloys alone.
Enjoy the summer.
Go to IKEA and buy some plates and go away for the weekend. Decide what summer holiday you want - France is best.

4.8 on google

Personal opinion, you don’t need an awning. You’ve bought a van, why buy a giant tent to stick to it?
Hi.
Some might agree with drive away awning, some not. They got 3 kids. We got only one and big dog. For us driveaway awning is essential. If we stay 2+ nights awning going with us. It’s such a pain to pack everything in the van if you go for day trip somewhere. Especially with 3 kids. Just put everything what you don’t need in awning. Easy. And it’s five people. Imagine rainy day to stay in the van. Awning gives them extra space where kids can play.

Hi.
Some might agree with drive away awning, some not. They got 3 kids. We got only one and big dog. For us driveaway awning is essential. If we stay 2+ nights awning going with us. It’s such a pain to pack everything in the van if you go for day trip somewhere. Especially with 3 kids. Just put everything what you don’t need in awning. Easy. And it’s five people. Imagine rainy day to stay in the van. Awning gives them extra space where kids can play.
Did you reply to the wrong post??

two game changers :

I agree with fridge and window bags!
Cfx35 is a popular choice for a large fridge. The other option is something smaller that fits between the front seats like the Indel B TB18 or TB15, which we have. It stays in the van ready to plug in and use.
For window bags, we have the california-camping.de ones… just another option :)

Te gridge
I agree with fridge and window bags!
Cfx35 is a popular choice for a large fridge. The other option is something smaller that fits between the front seats like the Indel B TB18 or TB15, which we have. It stays in the van ready to plug in and use.
For window bags, we have the california-camping.de ones… just another option :)
Re fridge. Get a compressor fridge not a fridge that work on the pelitier (spelling?) principal. The pelitier fridge will only cool to 20C below ambient. So if on a hot day the inside of the van gets to +40C (not difficult) the fridge/cool box will only cool to +20C which is way to hit to stop items spoiling. Could result in a health issue. Fine for cooling beer but not food in my opinion. Most cool box type fridges work on the pelitier principal.

Te gridge

Re fridge. Get a compressor fridge not a fridge that work on the pelitier (spelling?) principal. The pelitier fridge will only cool to 20C below ambient. So if on a hot day the inside of the van gets to +40C (not difficult) the fridge/cool box will only cool to +20C which is way to hit to stop items spoiling. Could result in a health issue. Fine for cooling beer but not food in my opinion. Most cool box type fridges work on the pelitier principal.
Yes the Dometic cfx35 and Indel B TB15/18 are compressor fridges and cool to about -20 degrees so they can act as a freezer if required. Being compressor fridges they are also far more energy efficient than electric cool boxes. Without any charging, I can get 2-3 days from the Indel B and the Beach leisure battery. I also have a small 20ah Anker power bank that extends use by at least another day.

Consider a Cinch pop up tent rather than a drive away awning. Simpler to put up and down, doesn't block the view. Kids will love having their own 'house'. Slots nicely behind the bench seat.

Zonesleep mattress toppers and quality travel pillows are transformative.

Back