Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First Post - I've got a Beach!

D

DMAS

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi all,

Go easy on me as I've got a few questions.

I've just purchased a T5.1 Cali Beach - with 7 seats.

Question 1 - Once I've worked out how to remove the 2 single seats (I won't ask the 'how-to question as I already know to expect y'all to tell me to search the forum) But once removed, how do I address the stiff swivel action and stiff slide up and down? I don't want to go at it with a can of WD-40 and make a mess. So thought I'd ask you guys. Where do I lube this?

Question 2 - Can I lube the floor rails to make things a run a little smoother?

(Asking the above 2 questions as it's proving difficult for the kids move/rotate the seats by themselves)

Question 3 - Awning. Now when it's fully extended the support arms are still slightly 'dog legged'. Should these bars be completely straight - also is it advised to lubricate this mechanism? If so - where?

Thank in advance all!

Hi all,

Go easy on me as I've got a few questions.

I've just purchased a T5.1 Cali Beach - with 7 seats.

Question 1 - Once I've worked out how to remove the 2 single seats (I won't ask the 'how-to question as I already know to expect y'all to tell me to search the forum) But once removed, how do I address the stiff swivel action and stiff slide up and down? I don't want to go at it with a can of WD-40 and make a mess. So thought I'd ask you guys. Where do I lube this?

Question 2 - Can I lube the floor rails to make things a run a little smoother?

(Asking the above 2 questions as it's proving difficult for the kids move/rotate the seats by themselves)

Question 3 - Awning. Now when it's fully extended the support arms are still slightly 'dog legged'. Should these bars be completely straight - also is it advised to lubricate this mechanism? If so - where?

Thank in advance all!
Removing the seats is explained in the Handbook.

The Swivel Action and seat movement do require some weight on the seat.

It helps to understand how the seat movement on the rails works. When the movement leaver is pulled Upwards this pushes a ratchet mechanism Down within the Rail. The rail is a box section with a slot in the top and a cogwheel pattern on the underside of the top section. When the ratchet is lowered the seat moves on wheels on the Aluminium Inserts and releasing the lever allows the ratchet to re-engage. Using lubrication within the rail or on the ratchet mechanism is liable to gum up the works big time.
Weight on the seats while moving helps.
At the most I would suggest some Silicone spray on the Pivot surfaces might help or on the Aluminium Inserts to ease movement, but WD40 or Oil will attract dirt and dust and make life more difficult.

Moving the rear seat is really an adult job or 2 biggish kids. It might be worth getting a thin pipe hoover attachment down the rails, it's surprising how much grit and dirt gets in there.
Getting the 2 single seats out is straightforward but they are HEAVY. Probably about 35/40 kgs.
Enjoy the beach my kids love ours.

It may be different with a T6, but my single seats move freely forward and back on the rails and swivel with ease.

Video here on removing the single seats in a T6 Beach.