Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First trip and strange sound!

M

Martha

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, having read so many posts on here before buying our Cali, I’m glad to say that we took the plunge and are now the proud owners of a 2013 SE. Well, proud and confused to be honest! Last night was out very first night camping and we (and our neighbours )were woken at 5am by a loud high pitched beep/whine coming from the rear of the van behind the side door. It went on for 4 hours!!! I could’t find anything in the manual, or any way to disable the 12v to try and stop the noise. Does anyone have any ideas what I should do? I’d quite like to stay again tonight....!

Does your van have the powered sliding door?

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

Yes it does have the powered sliding door

Sounds like it could be a fault with that. Search the forum - there’s a few threads on misbehaving sliding doors. Perhaps there’s a dirty contact, so the door is trying to open/close? Maybe you could remove the fuse for that circuit at night?

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

Thanks for your reply, I think you’re right, it’s definitely connected to the door. We’ll have a look for the fuse now to see whether we can take it out tonight - good idea! We were looking for a way to switch off the 12v supply last night ( there was a switch on our old van) - am I right that you can’t do this on Californias?

Thanks for your reply, I think you’re right, it’s definitely connected to the door. We’ll have a look for the fuse now to see whether we can take it out tonight - good idea! We were looking for a way to switch off the 12v supply last night ( there was a switch on our old van) - am I right that you can’t do this on Californias?
You can disconnect the starter battery, but this will be very drastic.

You can disable the electric door operation by a switch in the drivers console, on mine it was part of the right hand cluster of switches. If you have not done so try switching electric power off, open and close the door manually and see if that shuts it up.

Have you tried switching the door to manual? Switch on dash next to steering column (2 switches, top one is open/close the lower disables the door).

Back