Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First trip to France - any recommendations?

Sounds wonderful, you'll have a great time. There's so much to explore and so many different directions you could go in, it's hard to give specific recommendations about places or campsites. July is getting close to the busier time so you might want to book campsites in advance if you plan to use them rather than the cheaper Aires.
So two thoughts that might be helpful.

1. French roads can get very busy on specific dates in July, there are a few websites which show the days to be aware of:

Calendrier_2023_Bison_Fute_A3_daltonien.pdf

2. The coffee eclairs sold by supermarkets are delicious and moreish, make sure you try them.
Enjoy your trip
Thanks so much - as a coffee lover looking forward to it even more now! Happy days!

Depending on arrival time at Caen.

If into cars Le Mans Motor Museum is almost a days visit.

Loire Valley is scenic and relatively restful as a staging point before heading south or coming back up.

Don't underestimate the size of France and mileages travelled.

Autoroutes are good for A to B but like all Motorways you get no real feel of the Country.
Normal roads have a 80kms speed limit and most villages now have a 30kms limit plus those chicane direction priority systems and speed bumps making for fairly slow progress on scenic routes.

In my touring days never booked after first trip just went south until it got hot/sunny and moved with the weather conditions. Loire seemed to be the divide between hot & more UK like but that seems to have gone with Global warming.
Thanks for the advice, will have a look at
Depending on arrival time at Caen.

If into cars Le Mans Motor Museum is almost a days visit.

Loire Valley is scenic and relatively restful as a staging point before heading south or coming back up.

Don't underestimate the size of France and mileages travelled.

Autoroutes are good for A to B but like all Motorways you get no real feel of the Country.
Normal roads have a 80kms speed limit and most villages now have a 30kms limit plus those chicane direction priority systems and speed bumps making for fairly slow progress on scenic routes.

In my touring days never booked after first trip just went south until it got hot/sunny and moved with the weather conditions. Loire seemed to be the divide between hot & more UK like but that seems to have gone with Global warming.
thanks For the advice. Think we’ll do a bit of both - to get a bit further south but also explore the slow way. Not very good at playing it by ear - bit of a planner so need to practice!

A novice to Campervanning or a novice to France?
campervanning in France. Not ventured across the Channel in Billie yet - plenty around the UK!

And be aware of 'Priorite a Droite' which basically gives drivers from the right priority even those entering major road from a side road. The French Authorities are trying to change this rule but thats easier said than done in the rural areas, so be wary. Its caught me out a few times especially when the driver in front stops for no apparent reason.
Sounds similar to a crazy rule in NZ! Thanks for the advice!

I guess it depends on what sort of holiday experience you want @SWRocks
Stay in Normandy if WW2/D-Day interests you. North Brittany coast not too much further south and loads of nice beaches etc.
Bit further down Ile de Rey is fab’. Loads to see and very cycle friendly.
Sounds perfect! love a good long walk on a beach as opposed to lying on it, love being by the sea. Keen on walking and getting off the beaten track. Heard Ile de Rey is lovely, so will aim for there. Thanks!

Will you have nippers with you? If so then they will need ‘entertainment all the way’ if not then you have a wide choice, literally so many things, so little time! A nice manageable trip from Caen is down to Orleans then tour the Loire valley West to Nantes. This is a great route if you want see some of the best Châteaux in France (loads of them), Then you could whizz up towards the West side of Brittany (Quimper, or Concarneau way) then return via Dinan or along the North Coast. Either way there are plenty of (mostly free) Aires to stop on all the way round and they require no booking ahead which leaves you free to keep your own time/route agenda. If you want 5 star camp sites I can’t help you but I’m sure there are many on here who can

Enjoy, road tripping is what the Cali does well :thumb :cool:
Thanks so much. Just the two us, no nippers and leaving the dog with the folks. Not experienced an Aire but heard a bit about them. What facilities do they have or does it just vary? on The route above - roughly what would we be looking at driving v activities (ie walks, cafes, kayaking or cycling? ) Thank you!!

campervanning in France. Not ventured across the Channel in Billie yet - plenty around the UK!
My first foray across the water was with 5 children and a caravan with a LWB Series 3 Land Rover.
That trip we used Eurocamp Independant. It’s Eurocamp without the tent. You get a pitch and supply your own tent/caravan/Campervan or Motorhome. You can book ferries with them or not. Cheap travel insurance and you can go for any period as long as , I think, 3 days are booked via Eurocamp Independant.
You get detailed instructions, routes etc and maps. It takes away some of the stress of your first trip on the continent. Following year, knowing what to expect, we did it all ourselves. Now we rarely book sites outside school holidays.

Eurocamp Independant cover, or used to, the Isle de Re.

Wow, don’t know which tips to give because France is big and there is a lot to do and see. That it will be fun is a certainty. Don't think about the time you have: you can never see everything and you can always go back. Some good tips have already been posted and Bison Futé is a nice one: when I was a child my parents drove to the South with the camper via this route and I always followed along on the free map that you received at the stops along that alternative route. Pure nostalgia. The route was there to relieve the busier roads, but they were sometimes very busy themselves. The péages are easy and a cali can go under 2m barriers so not too expensive. The stops are sometimes an experience with animation and many people (so pay attention).
So the south is your target? It can and will be warm, but this does not have to be a problem because the Ricard will taste even more. We often alternate the pieces of péage with beautiful route nationals (RN or N). We use péages to get from a to b faster and especially during the pieces where I know you don't get ahead smoothly on other routes. Mind the speed cameras at the many villages you will cross.
Whether you will be on campsites or camperplaces: all can be found with apps such as Park4Night (it doesn't sound like that, but it's French).
I don't see a problem with priority from the right because with us it’s a basic traffic rule: you let those coming from the right through unless traffic lights or other traffic signs show that you are driving on a priority road. Pretty simple. Apparently some are not used to this because you drive on the left and you should not give way to those coming from the left.
Anyway, I'll try to give some tips, you can look it all up and make your own idea about it.
Less than an hour's drive from Caen: Deauville: walk along the dike and feast your eyes on old but not yet completely faded glory. Le Mans: already mentioned by someone in another post but indeed, if you're a car or racing fanatic, be sure to drop by: the museum is brilliant and you can walk along much of the track and see famous places; recommended. My next tip is a difficult place: Oradour-Sur-glane; you will be impressed.
Then you can drive through some nature reserves such as the Regional Natural Park Millevaches and Limousin, Parc naturel régional des Volcans d'Auvergne including the Puy-de-Dome Volcano (train, walking) and then further south through more nature parks.
You can visit some French coastal cities in the south and the French Riviera/ Côte d'Azur is nice to drive and also visit some places, good food and not expensive, don't forget Monaco: special to see (Drive your cali to the center and park it underground: dirt cheap).
Also south, but not the coast: Ardèche, Millau viaduct, Gorges du Tarn, Montségur, viaduc de Gabarit, Pont du Gard, or: Frensh whisky: https://distillerie-castan.com/en/ and many more.
I don't know exactly where you want to be in the South of France, but I can recommend the Camargue and certainly the region just before it: 'le petit Camargue' with Aigues-Mortes and many others. Some places will not be busy at all and some roads even seem desolate, other times you will be among the locals or plenty of tourists. All situations with their own charms.
A lot, I know but if it is not for now, then for another time.
Enjoy road tripping in France.
Thank you so much. I guess we’ll be going back as ever too much to see and do - roll on retirement when time is the one thing we’ll have. Thanks for all this - need to get the map out and do more research

Easy for me, have been taking kids now 13/15 for years to Ile de Re.
Easy drive, island off La Rochelle connected by toll bridge.
Super safe cycling, indeed bikes take priority on the island.
Plenty of kids activities, cosmopolitan vibe.
Some great campsites Camping Grainetiere my favourite ideally situated nr La flotte and Saint Martin.
Agree about Puy de Fou, seeing is believing loved by both adults and kids.
Easy to combine the two, I believe there is camping available, one day is really not enough.
Would be a nice introduction to France.

Top tip: Drive on the right (no difficult for us English who are used to driving on the right side of the road).
.. and watch out for priority to the right in towns.
Otherwise enjoy!!

Thanks so much. Just the two us, no nippers and leaving the dog with the folks. Not experienced an Aire but heard a bit about them. What facilities do they have or does it just vary? on The route above - roughly what would we be looking at driving v activities (ie walks, cafes, kayaking or cycling? ) Thank you!!
Aires tend to be just a parking area, sometimes with facilities on paid ones. As for activities, all of them! take your choice :thumb

If you can be bothered and keep the will to stay alive :D here is a link to my blog on our first trip to France. It was our first van trip abroad (and first blog for that matter, it’s a bit hit and miss and to make sense of the photos you need to click on them for full size. It was generally for the family so no apologies for content;)) however it might give you a feel of the Loire?

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what sort of holiday experience you want @SWRocks
Stay in Normandy if WW2/D-Day interests you. North Brittany coast not too much further south and loads of nice beaches etc.
Bit further down Ile de Rey is fab’. Loads to see and very cycle friendly.
Nice french style campsite at Fouras near fort Boyard where the Crystal maze was filmed great for oysters and sea food nice walk to town sea swimming pool on local beach. Camp pool will be open in July. On site restaurant and shop. Would book but we're touring so ring day before to confirm space, good shower blocks. Hope this helps has lots for bot adults and children.

If you plan on using the autoroutes / motorways I would highly recommend an emovis-tag https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/. Its a small transmitter that you stick to the windscreen and it authorises your passage through the tolls. At most toll stations there are a usually couple of lanes where you can glide through at up to 30 kph which is most satisfyingh when other drivers are having to queue. Its almost essential if you don't have a passenger. At the end of the month you are direct debited for the toll fees.

Aires tend to be just a parking area, sometimes with facilities on paid ones. As for activities, all of them! take your choice :thumb

If you can be bothered and keep the will to stay alive :D here is a link to my blog on our first trip to France. It was our first van trip abroad (and first blog for that matter, it’s a bit hit and miss and to make sense of the photos you need to click on them for full size. It was generally for the family so no apologies for content;)) however it might give you a feel of the Loire?

We took our dog with us through France for the first time this year, The ferries are great and several routes have "dog friendly" cabins so pooch can be with you for the crossing. Nearly every hotel we looked at in France and every restaurant accept dogs inside!

I am travelling to St Malo with an 8 year old next month. Any Brittany specific tips with cycling/skateboard options - very welcome!
There are lots of bike paths in Brittany. We live in Rennes, and we cycle for a week up along the Ille/Rance Canal via Dinan all the way to Dinard, then St Malo with the ferry, along the coast to the Mt St Michel and then south to rennes.

More about bike paths in France: https://en.francevelotourisme.com/cycling-destinations/brittany-by-bike.
And now days you have skate parks in lots of places. To find out: https://www.skatein.com/skateparks/france/ or go to the tourist information center

If you plan on using the autoroutes / motorways I would highly recommend an emovis-tag https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/. Its a small transmitter that you stick to the windscreen and it authorises your passage through the tolls. At most toll stations there are a usually couple of lanes where you can glide through at up to 30 kph which is most satisfyingh when other drivers are having to queue. Its almost essential if you don't have a passenger. At the end of the month you are direct debited for the toll fees.
Or for a shipper option go straight to https://ulys.vinci-autoroutes.com/ it give you access to the French, Spanish and Portuguese Motorways and you only pay the cost of the tag and the monthly fee when you use it (and the toll costs of course)

Hi there
Heading off to France for a (sadly only 10 day trip) landing in Caen early July and heading south. Any good spots anyone can recommend or top tips for a novice?
thanks!
You may want to be more precise about what you are after. Otherwise you request is a bit like, landing at New Haven in the UK (from France) for a 10-day trip, where should I go?

I would recommend to avoid spending too much time travelling staying on the west of France: Normandy, Brittany down to Bordeaux and Arcachon.
In Brittany, I would visit ST MAlo, the coast of Pink Granite, Camaret and Surroundings, The Raz Head, And Vannes and the Morbihan Gulf.

The motorways are free in Brittany (like in the UK). But as a Breton, I am biased towards the region. The French and Birtish Cornwalls also share similar atmosphere and views.