Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First trip to France - any recommendations?

S

SWRocks

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi there
Heading off to France for a (sadly only 10 day trip) landing in Caen early July and heading south. Any good spots anyone can recommend or top tips for a novice?
thanks!

Sounds wonderful, you'll have a great time. There's so much to explore and so many different directions you could go in, it's hard to give specific recommendations about places or campsites. July is getting close to the busier time so you might want to book campsites in advance if you plan to use them rather than the cheaper Aires.
So two thoughts that might be helpful.

1. French roads can get very busy on specific dates in July, there are a few websites which show the days to be aware of:

Calendrier_2023_Bison_Fute_A3_daltonien.pdf

2. The coffee eclairs sold by supermarkets are delicious and moreish, make sure you try them.
Enjoy your trip

Depending on arrival time at Caen.

If into cars Le Mans Motor Museum is almost a days visit.

Loire Valley is scenic and relatively restful as a staging point before heading south or coming back up.

Don't underestimate the size of France and mileages travelled.

Autoroutes are good for A to B but like all Motorways you get no real feel of the Country.
Normal roads have a 80kms speed limit and most villages now have a 30kms limit plus those chicane direction priority systems and speed bumps making for fairly slow progress on scenic routes.

In my touring days never booked after first trip just went south until it got hot/sunny and moved with the weather conditions. Loire seemed to be the divide between hot & more UK like but that seems to have gone with Global warming.

And be aware of 'Priorite a Droite' which basically gives drivers from the right priority even those entering major road from a side road. The French Authorities are trying to change this rule but thats easier said than done in the rural areas, so be wary. Its caught me out a few times especially when the driver in front stops for no apparent reason.

And be aware of 'Priorite a Droite' which basically gives drivers from the right priority even those entering major road from a side road. The French Authorities are trying to change this rule but thats easier said than done in the rural areas, so be wary. Its caught me out a few times especially when the driver in front stops for no apparent reason.
On rural lanes usually ax "X" sign is displayed to warn of Right Priority.

Hi there
Heading off to France for a (sadly only 10 day trip) landing in Caen early July and heading south. Any good spots anyone can recommend or top tips for a novice?
thanks!
I guess it depends on what sort of holiday experience you want @SWRocks
Stay in Normandy if WW2/D-Day interests you. North Brittany coast not too much further south and loads of nice beaches etc.
Bit further down Ile de Rey is fab’. Loads to see and very cycle friendly.

Will you have nippers with you? If so then they will need ‘entertainment all the way’ if not then you have a wide choice, literally so many things, so little time! A nice manageable trip from Caen is down to Orleans then tour the Loire valley West to Nantes. This is a great route if you want see some of the best Châteaux in France (loads of them), Then you could whizz up towards the West side of Brittany (Quimper, or Concarneau way) then return via Dinan or along the North Coast. Either way there are plenty of (mostly free) Aires to stop on all the way round and they require no booking ahead which leaves you free to keep your own time/route agenda. If you want 5 star camp sites I can’t help you but I’m sure there are many on here who can

Enjoy, road tripping is what the Cali does well :thumb :cool:

Wow, don’t know which tips to give because France is big and there is a lot to do and see. That it will be fun is a certainty. Don't think about the time you have: you can never see everything and you can always go back. Some good tips have already been posted and Bison Futé is a nice one: when I was a child my parents drove to the South with the camper via this route and I always followed along on the free map that you received at the stops along that alternative route. Pure nostalgia. The route was there to relieve the busier roads, but they were sometimes very busy themselves. The péages are easy and a cali can go under 2m barriers so not too expensive. The stops are sometimes an experience with animation and many people (so pay attention).
So the south is your target? It can and will be warm, but this does not have to be a problem because the Ricard will taste even more. We often alternate the pieces of péage with beautiful route nationals (RN or N). We use péages to get from a to b faster and especially during the pieces where I know you don't get ahead smoothly on other routes. Mind the speed cameras at the many villages you will cross.
Whether you will be on campsites or camperplaces: all can be found with apps such as Park4Night (it doesn't sound like that, but it's French).
I don't see a problem with priority from the right because with us it’s a basic traffic rule: you let those coming from the right through unless traffic lights or other traffic signs show that you are driving on a priority road. Pretty simple. Apparently some are not used to this because you drive on the left and you should not give way to those coming from the left.
Anyway, I'll try to give some tips, you can look it all up and make your own idea about it.
Less than an hour's drive from Caen: Deauville: walk along the dike and feast your eyes on old but not yet completely faded glory. Le Mans: already mentioned by someone in another post but indeed, if you're a car or racing fanatic, be sure to drop by: the museum is brilliant and you can walk along much of the track and see famous places; recommended. My next tip is a difficult place: Oradour-Sur-glane; you will be impressed.
Then you can drive through some nature reserves such as the Regional Natural Park Millevaches and Limousin, Parc naturel régional des Volcans d'Auvergne including the Puy-de-Dome Volcano (train, walking) and then further south through more nature parks.
You can visit some French coastal cities in the south and the French Riviera/ Côte d'Azur is nice to drive and also visit some places, good food and not expensive, don't forget Monaco: special to see (Drive your cali to the center and park it underground: dirt cheap).
Also south, but not the coast: Ardèche, Millau viaduct, Gorges du Tarn, Montségur, viaduc de Gabarit, Pont du Gard, or: Frensh whisky: https://distillerie-castan.com/en/ and many more.
I don't know exactly where you want to be in the South of France, but I can recommend the Camargue and certainly the region just before it: 'le petit Camargue' with Aigues-Mortes and many others. Some places will not be busy at all and some roads even seem desolate, other times you will be among the locals or plenty of tourists. All situations with their own charms.
A lot, I know but if it is not for now, then for another time.
Enjoy road tripping in France.

Last edited:
For years we’ve pretty much booked all our campsites from the Cool Camping France book. I don’t think we’ve ever not liked one and have returned to some a dozen times and even have favourite pitches.

I'll be using the France Passion network for the first time at the beginning of May after the Schools go back. I will probably do a mixtue of aires and FP camping and see how it goes. The FP option could be a good if you have children as you can select venues like farms with livestock etc that might interest them. They are completely free, have designated pitch areas and since they are commercial operations will have foodstuffs like cheese, charcuterie, produce, wine etc that can be purchased direct from the source. The downside is that you have to be independent. No hookups, toilet facilities etc but what is offered like water is clearly indicated in the handbook and on the nifty App, whch is really useful for locating participating businesses in your vicinity.
Personally I think its best to go with a flexible route plan. Maybe have a few key destinations (mine will be Puy du Feu which reopens in a few days and the Cognac region). Then follow the weather and your taste buds.
Most of all enjoy the freedom the Cali offers.

We have used France Passion a few years ago, it’s a great resource however it generally does not work out to be free or cheap. The owners of these places are not offering their stopover for free, they are in business to make money. The difficulty (well for us it was) might be in deciding what you think is a fair and reasonable spend with them. Or on the other hand they may sell stuff that is so delicious that you spend a small fortune out of choice. We never got out of a vineyard type place with less than 6 bottles of wine :D

Hi there
thanks!
A novice to Campervanning or a novice to France?

I am travelling to St Malo with an 8 year old next month. Any Brittany specific tips with cycling/skateboard options - very welcome!

We have used France Passion a few years ago, it’s a great resource however it generally does not work out to be free or cheap. The owners of these places are not offering their stopover for free, they are in business to make money. The difficulty (well for us it was) might be in deciding what you think is a fair and reasonable spend with them. Or on the other hand they may sell stuff that is so delicious that you spend a small fortune out of choice. We never got out of a vineyard type place with less than 6 bottles of wine :D
Guess it depends on your degree of resoluteness. There is no obligation to buy anything but it would be rude not to buy a bottle of wine or some cheese. Better spent where you can interact with the producers, than in a soulless supermarket. Its all about the terroir and bound to taste better on location.

I'll be using the France Passion network for the first time at the beginning of May after the Schools go back. I will probably do a mixtue of aires and FP camping and see how it goes. The FP option could be a good if you have children as you can select venues like farms with livestock etc that might interest them. They are completely free, have designated pitch areas and since they are commercial operations will have foodstuffs like cheese, charcuterie, produce, wine etc that can be purchased direct from the source. The downside is that you have to be independent. No hookups, toilet facilities etc but what is offered like water is clearly indicated in the handbook and on the nifty App, whch is really useful for locating participating businesses in your vicinity.
Personally I think its best to go with a flexible route plan. Maybe have a few key destinations (mine will be Puy du Feu which reopens in a few days and the Cognac region). Then follow the weather and your taste buds.
Most of all enjoy the freedom the Cali offers.
Bought the membership once, years ago, for a year. Got the book, the sticker and membershipcard. Never used it; it is not for us who do not plan or only look for a place to sleep in the vicinity of where we are. You almost always have to make a reservation and that's not how we travel. We go in a direction with places we want to see, but this can change a few times during the day, so book a FP place and then arrive there in the late afternoon (or you will lose your place, espacially in summer; France is a very touristic country and they have a million of places where you can park for the night but the FP onces can get fully booked): you will notice: only for those who plan well and do not road trip an sich.
It is a good concept and has been around for a long time, but the most beautiful places are usually already booked in advance and fully booked. I'm not tearing it down but I'll leave it to the fans of FP to promote it.
Let me know if you used it al lot and what you thought of it.

Last edited:
Bought the membership once, years ago, for a year. Got the book, the sticker and membershipcard. Never used it; it is not for us who do not plan or only when we are looking for a place to sleep in the vicinity of where we are. You almost always have to make a reservation and that's not how we travel. We go in a direction with places we want to see, but this can change a few times during the day, so book a FP place and then arrive there in the late afternoon (or you will lose your place, espacially in summer; France is a very touristic country and they have a million of places where you can park for the night but the FP onces can get fully booked): you will notice: only for those who plan well and do not road trip an sich.
It is a good concept and has been around for a long time, but the most beautiful places are usually already booked in advance and fully booked. I'm not tearing it down but I'll leave it to the fans of FP to promote it.
Let me know if you used it al lot and what you thought of it.
Maybe things were different back then but I get the impression now that its first come, first served and that places offering reservations are not the norm. But I will be traveling 'low season' so hopefully I won't encounter too many 'Complet' signs.
Guess I will find out in a few weeks.

Maybe things were different back then but I get the impression now that its first come, first served and that places offering reservations are not the norm. But I will be traveling 'low season' so hopefully I won't encounter too many 'Complet' signs.
Guess I will find out in a few weeks.
Have a nice trip!
Yes, it used to be or reservation or first come, first serve; mostly we don't drive in the morning, we like to travel slow in the afternoon and drive some more in the evening. We are never the first :D
Low season will be a significant difference, that is true.
Next week we'll visit Germany (bought the German environmental vignet anyway so can use it) maybe some touring around the Eifel, I'll see, might as well be somewhere else (or even another country).

Last edited:
I am travelling to St Malo with an 8 year old next month. Any Brittany specific tips with cycling/skateboard options - very welcome!
France is a very cycling safe Country with many cycle routes.

Skateboard info here may help

Our use/experience of France Passion was around 2014 and 2018 and only in the shoulder seasons. We did not find any that were full before we arrived but it is true to say that the ‘good’ ones were full by the end of the day. A few sites we came across were just half hearted attempts by the owner…. no directions, down a dark back lane or in the far corner of a field full of crop. The best ones for us were the wine producers and these were mostly very nice places to stay. I think the issue that I have is with the promoters of France Passion, they are not free (membership required in the first place) and despite what they say there IS an obligation to buy stuff. If you are happy with these conditions and go in with both eyes open then France Passion is very useful.

We have found that the French Aire system is much more convenient, generally free or maybe 10/12 euros and the Aires are better placed near where we want to be.

Please do not see this post as ‘knocking’ France Passion, just pointing out that it comes with a few limits that are not obvious until you have experienced them.

Either way, France is one of the best places for travels in a camper. I remember being sat outside an old church in Portugal one day and a Dutch lady we were chatting to said (along the lines of) “France has everything, coastline, mountains, cities and countryside, good food, beautiful architecture and more, why go elsewhere?” At the time I was a little put out and in disagreement……… a few years and about 15 countries later, I got it……. Vive la France!

Our use/experience of France Passion was around 2014 and 2018 and only in the shoulder seasons. We did not find any that were full before we arrived but it is true to say that the ‘good’ ones were full by the end of the day. A few sites we came across were just half hearted attempts by the owner…. no directions, down a dark back lane or in the far corner of a field full of crop. The best ones for us were the wine producers and these were mostly very nice places to stay. I think the issue that I have is with the promoters of France Passion, they are not free (membership required in the first place) and despite what they say there IS an obligation to buy stuff. If you are happy with these conditions and go in with both eyes open then France Passion is very useful.

We have found that the French Aire system is much more convenient, generally free or maybe 10/12 euros and the Aires are better placed near where we want to be.

Please do not see this post as ‘knocking’ France Passion, just pointing out that it comes with a few limits that are not obvious until you have experienced them.

Either way, France is one of the best places for travels in a camper. I remember being sat outside an old church in Portugal one day and a Dutch lady we were chatting to said (along the lines of) “France has everything, coastline, mountains, cities and countryside, good food, beautiful architecture and more, why go elsewhere?” At the time I was a little put out and in disagreement……… a few years and about 15 countries later, I got it……. Vive la France!
Good points. I won't really know until I've experienced FP first hand. If it proves unsatisfactory for the reasons you mention it will only have cost me €27 for the year and I will have the ever present and reliant aires to fall back on. France has always been my destination of choice even when I lived in North Italy and now North Germany.

Its funny you mention the Dutch woman in Portugal. I'm considering the purchase of a house in Guimaraes near Braga, as a base for retirement. A good friend from the USA lived in the Dordogne for many years, moved to Amarante Portugal, just outside Porto and would never go back to France to live. The cost of living, friendly people, low crime, healthcare, decent food (there are 3 Michelin starred restaurants in Guimaraes and not one in Hannover), gorgeous coastline and proximity to old-world Spain are making a strong case for a base in Portugal.

I concur. The best are full (especially in summer) and some are let’s say questionable. As you say: FP is good but has a few limits. But as we never arrive at a place to sleep in the afternoon, we found mostly full ones. For others it can be a good way of travelling.

In all honesty, been twice, never again. So very cold and grey.

It’s very beautiful and picturesque. Stayed in Ploumanac’h which was pretty and have twice been on boat trips from Perros-Guirec. I think there’s a good aquarium near there.

Take some warm clothes and good rain gear. You may get lucky.

In 15 years we’ve had 3 holidays where I remember my wife crying because of rain - 2 in Brittany and 1 on North Spanish coast. We travel light with or 2 kids and like to sit and cook outside.

It’s very beautiful and picturesque. Stayed in Ploumanac’h which was pretty and have twice been on boat trips from Perros-Guirec. I think there’s a good aquarium near there.

In 15 years we’ve had 3 holidays where I remember my wife crying because of rain - 2 in Brittany and 1 on North Spanish coast. We travel light with or 2 kids and like to sit and cook outside.
Crikey, I reckon you were just unlucky. We love Brittany and never had anything but sunshine all the way! (although we have usually only been there over Sept/Oct so maybe different in the Spring? I always think Brittany is just like Cornwall for weather….. but French :D

Haha. Well we were in wales for our last holiday together. Proper wet wales. The highlight was watching the Duke of Edinburgh campers getting soaked while we were comfortably warm and dry