Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France essentials

Some French campsites only allow men to wear speedos in their swimming pools instead of apparently unhygienic Bermuda style trunks. We discovered this after a particularly long and hot journey to a campsite near St Rémy de Provence. My husband resorted to wearing my M & S pants as he didn't have any speedos (which looked better on him than they do on me) but he did get to cool off in the pool. So speedos are highly recommended.

This was our expectation too but of the 5 sites with pools we've just returned from, this rule was not evident.

This was our expectation too but of the 5 sites with pools we've just returned from, this rule was not evident.
Much depends on where you swim. Any sort of municipal swimming pool or a pool on a municipal site you'll probably find the rules around swimwear are more strictly enforced. Most private camp sites with many British and Dutch visitors have signs saying what to wear but rarely enforced.

Apparently you can get fined for not having a breathalyser. ... my disposable one cost about #6 from halfords.

Apparently you can get fined for not having a breathalyser. ... my disposable one cost about #6 from halfords.
They aren't checked now. seems it was mainly to get the French drivers to reduce their drinking habits.
Still best to carry just incase.

Fuel is up to 15% cheaper at Supermarkets than on main routes.

We are off again to France ( was there in June) Starting at Cherbourg on Thurs 7th Sept and reading this forum would say almost everything covered !
Except beware when filling Cali at the pumps as you might get the odd impatient arrogant fuel filling person blowing his horn that don't like us Brits spend too much time filling up !

A tip that I was given before going to France on my bike, was to leave copies of your V5c, insurance details, and details of your holiday insurance and warranty if you have one, with a friend or family member (easily contactable) in UK, just in case of any problems - much easier for someone in UK to talk to people in UK, rather than having to deal with the french phone system to get through to UK (unless of course you have fluent French).

I think that we can all be very overstressed about travelling the other side of the channel.

It's all so easy really,

Ten minutes checking off the checklist that Mike linked to above, make sure the vehicle is all road legal, go off, enjoy yourselves.

In my experience France especially is a gorgeous place to drive through. Great roads, lovely places, gorgeous welcoming towns, every where an Aire. Municipal campsite, French passion ..... everywhere le touriste so welcome.

I've had two particular involvements with police and Douane, both times hugely respectful, polite, not overbearing and pragmatic. Get over there and enjoy it.

Definitely worth taking speedos. Camping municipals are really good I think. They are much cheaper and sometimes there is municipal swimming pool nearby indoor or outdoor (Much cheaper than UK swimming) and you definitely won't get away with Bermuda style there.

May sound rather old fashioned, but get some maps...
Sat-navs help, but to plan a trip it is often better to look at the route you want to travel and then get the satnav to go that way, letting you take in the scenery, avoid tolls and take some more exciting routes.

You can also be fined if not carrying speedo's in the vehicle, there needs to be one pair per occupant.

A tip that I was given before going to France on my bike, was to leave copies of your V5c, insurance details, and details of your holiday insurance and warranty if you have one, with a friend or family member (easily contactable) in UK, just in case of any problems - much easier for someone in UK to talk to people in UK, rather than having to deal with the french phone system to get through to UK (unless of course you have fluent French).
Or use a Mobile phone.:thumb

I think that we can all be very overstressed about travelling the other side of the channel.

It's all so easy really,

Ten minutes checking off the checklist that Mike linked to above, make sure the vehicle is all road legal, go off, enjoy yourselves.

In my experience France especially is a gorgeous place to drive through. Great roads, lovely places, gorgeous welcoming towns, every where an Aire. Municipal campsite, French passion ..... everywhere le touriste so welcome.

I've had two particular involvements with police and Douane, both times hugely respectful, polite, not overbearing and pragmatic. Get over there and enjoy it.
So agree re the gorgeousness Jen! We're having our last day of a week completely relaxing with kids and grand kids at a wonderful site for kids in Normandy - Le Brévedent - fab weather and overflowing with gorgeousness

We have the breathalysers from when they first came in but wouldn't bother getting them now.
Australian cousin visiting France at the mo has had three different hire cars and none and none of them had them in.
Did hear a rumour from our neighbour here in France that they were made by a mate of Sarkozy, make of that what you will.

Last edited: