Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First use of clear water tank: purification needed?

Roberto Laghi

Roberto Laghi

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi to all, I just got my new California Ocean yesterday, and I am pretty new to this world :).
I now have to to fill in the clear water tank. In the owner's manual, VW suggest that a "sanitization product" be used for the first fill.
Any suggestion?
I am a bit confused since when searching on the web you get a lot of different products that seem to do the job (still not sure what "the job" is though for the first use of the tank).
So I would like some help from experienced owners... :help

I use the Katadyn water purification stuff from the forum shop. Others on here use it too, it’s easy to apply and stays in the tank.

I use the Katadyn water purification stuff from the forum shop. Others on here use it too, it’s easy to apply and stays in the tank.
We filled the tank twice and drove around each time, the third fill tasted fine and we are still here 18 months later. Personally I hate the chemical flavour any of the Milton type disinfectants give to the water. Many on here only use the tank water for washing or after boiling.

It does depend on what you are going to use the tank for. Milton and similar can leave a lingering aftertaste so if using it for drinking be prepared for that. However if I was going to drink from it then I would make sure it has had a ketadyne or similar treatment, not evrytime but occasionally.

I only use mine for cleaning, washing up etc, and just make sure it's rinsed through after each trip and water is not left in the tank for any length of time.

+1 same here. Never used milton or any thing with a taste

Late to the thread as usual but if you have already done it, I assume all is good.
If you haven't done it yet, be sure to check the inspection hatch is water tight on the grey water tank as you flush water from the fresh tank into it via the sink. This can be seen in the forward most cupboard behind the shelves.
I might have just been the unlucky one but mine wasn't tight and leaked a couple of litres before I realised.

Just bought some of the katadyn based on this thread. Sorry for the blond question but how do you get it in the tank?

We drink from the tank, I’m a runner so drink a lot after a race particularly at the moment. Just drain the tank down weekly, especially in hot weather, and refill adding katadyn occasionally.

Always use my own hose pipe on a site, and run some water through to waste first. We do have spring water at home.

Back