Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water Tank & Storage

john eagle

john eagle

Eaglehead
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I am soon to be buying a California having sold my conversion. With regards to the water storage tank do you fill this before a trip or wait until you get to the caravan park and then fill it. Does it need to be completely emptied after each trip and do you need to treat the water with anything?
I plan to take bottled water for tea and coffee as my last van gave the water a funny taste when used from the van water storage.

I am soon to be buying a California having sold my conversion. With regards to the water storage tank do you fill this before a trip or wait until you get to the caravan park and then fill it. Does it need to be completely emptied after each trip and do you need to treat the water with anything?
I plan to take bottled water for tea and coffee as my last van gave the water a funny taste when used from the van water storage.
I, personally, fill it up. I use Katodyne, from Forum Shop or elsewhere, only fully empty during winter after a trip when the van is not in use for a few days and use the water for everything. Once a year I wash it out with Milton solution that is diluted according to the instructions on the bottle.

I treat mine like a water carrier, clean and sterilize with Milton then dry out between uses. Fill up with my own water before leaving.

Last edited:
I never go to a caravan park , we like to use free aires , smal campsitesites , farms , stealth camping....
Never left my drive without a full freshwatertank in 7 years .
Drain if you leave the Cali sitting on the drive longer then a few weeks .
Clean once a year (or few years) with special product .

Fill up before each trip at home, and top up at campsites if necessary. Drain and keep empty between camping trips.
Sterilise once a year with Miltons.

If going to a club site as in CMC or the like then help myself to their water.
Have filled at home if off on a jolly with no definite plan .
Run Milton as per instructions once a year.
In winter will drain all tanks and pull the fuse for the water pump to be able to open the tap switch to drain the pipe work too.

Third Cali now never used it, carry 10l in a plastic container fits nice and neat behind the passenger seat and side unit. I don't then need to carry a hose, I don't need to take the van to a tap to fill when empty, I don't need to clean or treat it or forget and let it freeze. The weight I save at the rear I can stock up on tins of Cider :cheers.
Not knocking the people that use the tank. just works for me.

Back