Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

FITTING A SPARESAFE - HELP PLEASE!

I removed my spare safe after 30,000 miles without the protective plastic cap - needed a bit of wiggling with a small screwdriver to get all grit & mud out of the 3 locking bolt pin holes.
When putting it back I've made a ball of scrunched up polythene bag & stuffed that in the tube after doing the bolt up. If it falls out its no loss, if it stays in it should be simple to extract if necessary with a quick poke of a screwdriver or key etc.

Cap on, needle nose pliers get it off. Part of my tool kit.:thumb

No cap and painted ours black. I think they look awful red and the paint soon comes off leaving it a rusty mess.

I put copper grease inside the cap. It's come off easily using the plastic thing on both occasions that I've tried.

Perfectly timed thread, I've just been battling the same question. Copper grease is now on its way... thx!

At the moment my spare is at risk and unsecured. I am considering purchasing a Sparesafe. However is it not possible for someone to easily remove my spare if they have also purchased a Sparesafe. In other words is the locking bolt the same on all Sparesafes or do they differ slightly. My worry is that the unscrupulous scum that steal your spare will be tooled up.

At the moment my spare is at risk and unsecured. I am considering purchasing a Sparesafe. However is it not possible for someone to easily remove my spare if they have also purchased a Sparesafe. In other words is the locking bolt the same on all Sparesafes or do they differ slightly. My worry is that the unscrupulous scum that steal your spare will be tooled up.
Nothing is going to prevent a determined thief. Bottom line is that to my knowledge loads of people on here have had the spare stolen and to date no one with a sparesafe fitted has. That was good enough for me. Yes it could still be stolen but less likely.

Mike

All the locking bolts supplied with the sparesafe have different keys

Thanks for that Calikev. I'll get one ordered.

Back