Fitting extra USB’s

Azteccamper

Azteccamper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi.
I have a 2012 T5.1 Cali.
I am looking to fit USB points in the blank switchgear on the dash. I’m hoping to do this by simply piggy banking a fuse from behind dash.
Has anyone done this or can offer any tips on where to buy and fit?
Regards
Aztec

Hi.
I have a 2012 T5.1 Cali.
I am looking to fit USB points in the blank switchgear on the dash. I’m hoping to do this by simply piggy banking a fuse from behind dash.
Has anyone done this or can offer any tips on where to buy and fit?
Regards
Aztec
Not a problem, but be aware unless it is a switched unit, with its own switch or powered by an ignition controlled feed/fuse, it will always be On which could be problematic.

We have 2012 Beach....

T.5.1 - We added USB for direct connection to a new head unit, you can get the usb dash plugs on ebay (just message the seller and they will be able to supply with bare wire to USB - instead of - USB to USB), then piggy back off your existing 12v dash wiring; See below link, they also do a double:

Its also easy to add a hidden one in the glovebox if required. There is a plastic blank in the top right corner of the glovebox that is easy to prise out, drill a small hole in the blank to route the cable, and then replace, or, screw a surface mount onto the inside of the glovebox. Glovebox keeps your phones out of sight if you should forget to remove them when parked up:

Last edited:
Not a problem, but be aware unless it is a switched unit, with its own switch or powered by an ignition controlled feed/fuse, it will always be On which could be problematic.
Thanks @WelshGas - good reminder. I remember having to find a similar fuse in my Audi when fitting dash cam. :thumb

We have 2012 Beach....

T.5.1 - We added USB for direct connection to a new head unit, you can get the usb dash plugs on ebay (just message the seller and they will be able to supply with bare wire to USB - instead of - USB to USB), then piggy back off your existing 12v dash wiring; See below link, they also do a double:

Its also easy to add a hidden one in the glovebox if required. There is a plastic blank in the top right corner of the glovebox that is easy to prise out, drill a small hole in the blank to route the cable, and then replace, or, screw a surface mount onto the inside of the glovebox. Glovebox keeps your phones out of sight if you should forget to remove them when parked up:

Thanks @Ch1pbutty
Mines a 2012, and there is a lack 12v power outlets in the dash. Most cars come with a couple of USB’s as standard nowadays - as everything is powered by USB.
I’ve checked these out on eBay and will message them tomorrow. A double and glovebox one sounds good :thumb

I fitted a pair of USB sockets when the van was new. Came with circuitry (transformers don't work on DC) to drop the voltage so just wired into 12v behind the dash. Completely buggered up the DAB radio signal. The dealer changed the head unit twice before I decided that it wasn't likely that we had three duff units. Scrapped the USBs and everything fine again. :rolleyes:

I fitted a pair of USB sockets when the van was new. Came with circuitry (transformers don't work on DC) to drop the voltage so just wired into 12v behind the dash. Completely buggered up the DAB radio signal. The dealer changed the head unit twice before I decided that it wasn't likely that we had three duff units. Scrapped the USBs and everything fine again. :rolleyes:
Low cost USB supplies that drop the vehicle 12V down to 5V are notorious for electrical noise. The same can be true with the USB chargers that plug into the cigar lighter sockets. It is possible for manufacturers to make a good unit that doesn't interfere, but it's more expensive to produce and requires more components in the design.

We have had to diagnose and fix this sort of noise issue in arcade games, caused by replacing fluorescent lights with LED lights. We've also dealt with LED lights on boats that zap radar detection range down to nearly nothing, make horrible buzzing through the VHF radios and prevent AIS from receiving vessel positions from anything further than a few kms away.

Unfortunately it is hard to tell which units will cause problems from afar. A lot of low cost power supplies are inadvertently radio jammers.

Low cost USB supplies that drop the vehicle 12V down to 5V are notorious for electrical noise. The same can be true with the USB chargers that plug into the cigar lighter sockets. It is possible for manufacturers to make a good unit that doesn't interfere, but it's more expensive to produce and requires more components in the design.

We have had to diagnose and fix this sort of noise issue in arcade games, caused by replacing fluorescent lights with LED lights. We've also dealt with LED lights on boats that zap radar detection range down to nearly nothing, make horrible buzzing through the VHF radios and prevent AIS from receiving vessel positions from anything further than a few kms away.

Unfortunately it is hard to tell which units will cause problems from afar. A lot of low cost power supplies are inadvertently radio jammers.
Had one of those, as soon as i plugged it into the dash the radio stopped working.

Back