Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting front fogs...

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi there...yes, I did the upgrade year before last, or to be more precise, the boys at my local VW Independent Van Centre did.

I purchased the same (or similar) set you provided a link to. They removed the front bumper, fitted the fogs and carefully sealed around the back of the lights, sorted the wiring (nice neat job) and sited switch and the 'red light' to indicate that the lights are on, near the dash light switch.

You can purchase the 'proper' switch from VW and wire the fogs into that (as they would do if ordered from the factory), but it was another £80+ so I used the switch which came with the light set.

The main problem was cutting the bumper to create a nice smooth aperture for the light frame and seal to fit into...basically, you have one chance to get it right! I think they practiced on an old scrap bumper of the same thickness and material to discover the best way to do it.

Another difficulty was ensuring that they pointed in the right direction, once settled in their frames and sealed, so as not to cause 'glare' to other road users.

I think they look great and I do tend to use them as 'running lights' in low light conditions as they are much brighter than the side lights, as you can see from the photo.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that... and yes, looks great :thumb
Indeed its the cutting of the bumper that concerns me most... So looking at your pics, the cut was on the inner edge of the rebated groove around the blank. Do you know how they did it in the end?

I'm reasonably sure they did it with one of those rigid industrial-type jig saws, with a fine blade, finished with wet&dry and sprayed-in with some touch up.

If I was doing it again, I think it would be best to cut on the inner edge of the rebate (as they did), but cover that remaining bead with some 'u' shaped rubber moulding. Maybe some of the kits come with this moulding, but I'm sure it's available from somewhere if not.

They did their best with the cut and it's OK, but it took a lot of time to tidy it up. A nice black moulding on that bead would have saved a lot of time and would look better.

Back