Front Fogs - Easy to fit myself

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
My Cali came without fog lights and although I don't really mind for driving, for looks I would like to add them. I am making a few styling changes and this seems a must at the same time.

The lights themselves aren't that expensive, does anyone have any experience of fitting them? I am trying to get a feel for how big the job is, and if its doable myself.

I am also wondering if the self fit ones will work with the turning light function that can be enabled via VDCS.

Thanks,

Matt.

Hi Matt - if its just for looks i suggest you fit them in but dont bother with all the wiring palaver

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, if you fit lights they have to work for MOT purposes. If you're lucky the wires might be there behind the bumper.
I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to correct me if that's not right.

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, if you fit lights they have to work for MOT purposes. If you're lucky the wires might be there behind the bumper.
I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to correct me if that's not right.
Only rear fog light has to work during MoT test

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its easy enough, you will need a light sw with front and rear fog switch!! then add a new wire to the back of sw, next to the grey and green wire:thumb

I don't know how they turn so I will see if it mechanical later when I get home. Not really taken any notice before.

I don't know how they turn so I will see if it mechanical later when I get home. Not really taken any notice before.
They dont actually turn is just the single lamp and its reflector, selected as you turn the steering wheel.

Sorry I probably wasnt very clear.

I can see there is an option for turn activated lights but the wiring for the kits seems too simple to allow that to function. which leads me to think there would be more wiring involved for the turn fog light funciton to be useable.

Maybe it is some canbus magic where a signal goes through the power cable.

All controlled electronically.
Each fog light is separately wired. With lights on and below the threshold speed then a sensor on the steering wheel activates one or other of the fog lights.
There is no mechanical movement of the respective side fog light. This might help with the correct wiring.
http://www.vwt5forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=298325

or you could connect two bits of string either side of the steering wheel connected to override switches on the dash - as you turn the wheel the correct light will come on - simple enough

Our other car is a Seat with the cornering lights. Cornering lights that term sounds more clear lol. I appreciate they don't move just to be clear. :headbang:D

Back