Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flat leisure battery

N

NatandRob

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
It appears our leisure battery has gone flat because we’ve not used the van in 3 months. Does this do any longstanding damage? It’s the first time it’s happened and we are new owners, so just getting to grips with how things work.

It appears our leisure battery has gone flat because we’ve not used the van in 3 months. Does this do any longstanding damage? It’s the first time it’s happened and we are new owners, so just getting to grips with how things work.
There is a distinct possibility of damage. On Mains Hookup it will be fine, but if camping without Mains then you probably won’t last the 3 to 5 days with fridge, lights etc: that most owners can get.
VW advise in the Handbook mains charging the Leisure Batteries for at least 12 hrs every month to keep in good condition.

There is a distinct possibility of damage. On Mains Hookup it will be fine, but if camping without Mains then you probably won’t last the 3 to 5 days with fridge, lights etc: that most owners can get.
VW advise in the Handbook mains charging the Leisure Batteries for at least 12 hrs every month to keep in good condition.
Thank you. What do you use to mains charge please? Just the same as a hook up cablemwith adaptor?

This (delivered with your van) and whatever you need to connect it to the mains.
1588492607719.png

Thanks - totally newbies as you can tell
The one @TripleBee showed is the European adapter. Same blue socket but with a UK plug. Plenty on Amazon and eBay + the 10,15 or 25 m orange cable you would use on a campsite.

The one @TripleBee showed is the European adapter. Same blue socket but with a UK plug. Plenty on Amazon and eBay + the 10,15 or 25 m orange cable you would use on a campsite.
I don't know what cable is delivered with UK californias. Mine was delivered with the one on the picture (although with a longer lead).
You could also opt for a 25 meter cable with UK plugs, or a set of adapters. Depending on what you will need most.

I don't know what cable is delivered with UK californias. Mine was delivered with the one on the picture (although with a longer lead).
You could also opt for a 25 meter cable with UK plugs, or a set of adapters. Depending on what you will need most.
Exactly the same as the one you showed. Useful for some of the older European sites who haven't upgraded to the modern blue plug/socket system but no use in the UK.

On the other hand, that one is mostly too short to get to the socket anyway. I always carry a cable of 25 meters with me, and an adapter from EU plug to CEE.

On the other hand, that one is mostly too short to get to the socket anyway. I always carry a cable of 25 meters with me, and an adapter from EU plug to CEE.
Yes, you still need the longer cable. It's just an adapter really.

Thanks - totally newbies as you can tell
These 2 leads.

These 2 leads.

Thank you very much! Do you know if you can disconnect the leisure battery, so it isn’t draining power when vehicle not in use?

Yes but it is a pain to do. On the Ocean one battery is under the passenger seat and not easily accessible unless the seat is removed. The other is under the rear wardrobe and only slightly easier to get at.

I think on the Beach the one battery fitted is under the passenger seat so same applies. I own a SE so may be wrong on the Beach though happy to be corrected.
Alan

Yes but it is a pain to do. On the Ocean one battery is under the passenger seat and not easily accessible unless the seat is removed. The other is under the rear wardrobe and only slightly easier to get at.

I think on the Beach the one battery fitted is under the passenger seat so same applies. I own a SE so may be wrong on the Beach though happy to be corrected.
Alan
It’s a shame they’ve made it so difficult to do :(

Thank you very much! Do you know if you can disconnect the leisure battery, so it isn’t draining power when vehicle not in use?
As long as nothing is switched On or anything plugged into the 12v sockets disconnecting the Leisure Batteries will make no difference, they will still lose charge gradually. The older they are the quicker they will drain whether connected or disconnected.

As long as nothing is switched On or anything plugged into the 12v sockets disconnecting the Leisure Batteries will make no difference, they will still lose charge gradually. The older they are the quicker they will drain whether connected or disconnected.
Do you know if there is a way to charge the leisure battery from another battery we could charge at home? It’s just because we store our van in a shipping container without electric and it would be handy to drop by and do a battery switch to keep it charged.

I used to keep a car in a garage block with no electric. It had an alarm system which used power so to keep on top of it I used a charged up tractor battery and wired it into the cigar lighter socket which was live, conveniently.
I don’t know if you are a beach or an ocean so just musing on the possibility of getting a humongous tractor or lorry battery and wiring it to one of the 12 v sockets using crocodile clips and a male cigar lighter plug . Fuse it though, a fully charged battery connection to low charge one(s) might be interesting.
Just a thought .

Back