Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Folding chair Comfort

S

Shadrack

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All,
I think the storage for the folding chairs is brilliant idea, only (for me) to be let down by them being not too comfortable. Ok at the table but a little too upright to relax in.
I have searched for replacements that could be stowed away in the same location without succes.

So I decided maybe I could do something to make them more comfortable. Thinking of making new curved brackets at the fulcrum point.
Whilst looking I noticed the plastic bungs on the end of the back supports seemed odd. Maybe it is just my chairs I don’t know but they appear to be in the wrong way round. The indentation in the bung would allow the back to go back a tad further but more important allow the legs to splay or open a little more.

IMG_1044.jpeg
So I decided turn the bungs 180.
Removed the side Allen bolt and withdrew which allowed the bung to be lifted.

IMG_1047.jpegIMG_1048.jpeg
Then moved the locknut (as seen in the removed bung) to the recess in other side of bung.
Put bung back in other way round and refit bolt.
IMG_1049.jpeg
When both done it will allow the seat legs to be opened more, also adds a couple or so more degrees to allow the back lean back further.
(Only a small adjustment close to the fulcrum point is all that’s needed to see a bigger change at the legs and backrest)
Whilst attempting the second bung I did come a little unstuck. When assembled the manufacturer must have used a strong loctite on the Allen bolts and this one decided to spin the locknut insert within the bung and not allow bolt to be removed.
A few cuss words did pass my lips, but not to be beaten I engaged the use of my rotary rasp bit (posh round file) and shaped the unremoveable bung as seen in the pic below.

IMG_1046.jpeg

I have tried to show in the following picture the difference after the modification.
The nearest seat not yet done.

IMG_1043.jpegIMG_1042.jpeg
Not easy to show with the picture. But sitting in the two the difference in comfort is so obvious.
It may me just a few degrees but it really does transform the seat as regards comfort.

It may be just a production fault, just my chairs were built incorrectly.

I am certainly pleased with the outcome now.

Back