Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking tailgate

No valet, had the van 9 months from stock

@icic , no reson to be upset the links i've posted are just info for those who do not know of the diffrent waterleaks or condensation problems you been having some time ago. Did they got soved in the end?
Just info for others on here who are joining the conversation and may not seen those threads.
Sure you are aware of this , and hopefully these problems are solved by now .
If not solved yet the problem you have may as wel be linked to those previous issues.

In the pictures i can see mold building up (at least i think so) this means that moist been there quite a while , it might come from the previous issues you had , thats the main reason i posted those two links to your threads .

Hi, maybe unrelated but I had a problem with the rear screen wash losing water in the boot. The pipe had separated. Worth a check?

We spent 6 months last Winter travelling and sleeping all the time in van, roof up mostly but sometimes down. We would get a bit of condensation behind the kitchen units if really cold and roof down although having heater on 1 and leaving a couple windows slightly open minimised this. However we never saw this much damp and not near the boot. Water must be leaking in and then going through the evaporation / condensing process but its way beyond any normal condensation. Agree that after identification and leak repair get rid of any mouldy soft finishes as mould will be persistent.

Opened the tailgate up and found this this morning. Looks like condensation. Interesting as none was on the window. The RH of the van was 45 all night due to dehumidifier and heat, plus windows open under wind defectors both sides. But it seems to make no difference at the back. Putting my hand down under the mattress at the back, it’s cold. So all the methods to stop condensation in the front cabin, don’t work down there. I suppose it’s worth trying a tailgate lock to get ventilation into that area ? Bit nippy maybe at this time of year. If it’s so cold down their that it creates so much condensation, I’m surprised this is not happening more often in oceans. But tailgate lock and ventilation their should help

View attachment 69659

When I say tailgate lock, I mean the Brandrup airsafe ..
Water must be getting in somewhere around the tailgate, that
isn't normal.

I think I have found what might be causing the issue. When I had the blind replaced the dealer has not put back the trim properly. There is a big gap around the trim. This is where all the water seems to be at its greatest. The fact it’s not flush anymore let’s lots of air form the cabin onto a direct cold surface.

In addition inside the chair storage there seems to be a whole load of the black foam missing at the top. All this allows even more warm air to get behind the trim.

For my upcoming dealings with the dealer, would anyone be able to take a picture of the trim in place flush and a more importantly a picture inside the chair storage, showing the foam at the top, just so I can see what’s missing. That would be amazing if anyone has the time

Also what do you think my position is with the dealer, as they fitted it incorrectly, and that caused the issue. I want them to replace the foam and replace everything that got mouldy, and put back the whole door trim set exactly how it was before they messed it up. Not sure they have the skill to do this as they seemed to have made the decision to leave bits out and still not got it to fit .. whole new tailgate if they can’t put it back to normal ? How much should I push for ?

37836419-7F84-4D74-B9B3-FA10F3BB812B.jpeg

DC43FB9D-6721-424D-826F-E0F396874FD6.jpeg

864863CE-BC6E-446B-958E-232A6C1B11F5.jpeg

7E4D65CA-10A1-4355-A436-74092B105374.jpeg

646FA7B8-3A75-4CE1-BD95-F34CE72B9E90.jpeg

BE9BB5B1-6D48-4BDE-9EAA-741B31A621F2.jpeg

7D25C0EA-58CE-4AD5-BA6C-5B1F10AE49EC.jpeg

B0A044BC-5EDF-43A8-8DB2-98459D3E33A2.jpeg

My 19 Cali rains in on the tailgate/boot door. When you get some wet weather lie on the downstairs bed and see if you can see water coming in around the trim above the window. 9FE62ACB-8D31-41BB-A7DD-664E875EB2EE.jpeg
If you look at the photo you can just see the water droplets on the edge of the trim. It will then drip down and run into where the blood is and then down to where the chairs are stored. It is the high level brake light that is letting water in. Although you appear to have much more water coming in than I have.
My 15 plate Cali had the same problem, I can not believe that VW are producing doors that leak after all this time.

I think I have found what might be causing the issue. When I had the blind replaced the dealer has not put back the trim properly. There is a big gap around the trim. This is where all the water seems to be at its greatest. The fact it’s not flush anymore let’s lots of air form the cabin onto a direct cold surface.

In addition inside the chair storage there seems to be a whole load of the black foam missing at the top. All this allows even more warm air to get behind the trim.

For my upcoming dealings with the dealer, would anyone be able to take a picture of the trim in place flush and a more importantly a picture inside the chair storage, showing the foam at the top, just so I can see what’s missing. That would be amazing if anyone has the time

Also what do you think my position is with the dealer, as they fitted it incorrectly, and that caused the issue. I want them to replace the foam and replace everything that got mouldy, and put back the whole door trim set exactly how it was before they messed it up. Not sure they have the skill to do this as they seemed to have made the decision to leave bits out and still not got it to fit .. whole new tailgate if they can’t put it back to normal ? How much should I push for ?

That isn't just condensation - you've got a leak somewhere.

Condensation always forms on the coldest part. of the van, if it wasn't forming on the boot lid it would be somewhere else & despite sleeping occasionally with 5 in the van + cooking indoors I've never seen anything that bad.

Even if it was condensation , that amount of it would indicate to me that there is water somewhere in the van.

Re-opening this thread as I now have a leaking tail gate. Only noticed after heavy rain/sleet/hail the last couple of days. There are droplets on the panel above the rear window when I open the tailgate. And again at the end of the panel where the material section for the camping chairs starts.
Not impressed.

What solved this for me was removing the little rubber bungs in the bottom of the tailgate door. Any water inside either through a leak or condensation now runs straight out.

Re-opening this thread as I now have a leaking tail gate. Only noticed after heavy rain/sleet/hail the last couple of days. There are droplets on the panel above the rear window when I open the tailgate. And again at the end of the panel where the material section for the camping chairs starts.
Not impressed.
I think you need to pop back to dealer, sorry to say.

I think you need to pop back to dealer, sorry to say.
That is my plan. But was hoping for more inside info from the forum before I go. It has saved me thousands in the past...

That is my plan. But was hoping for more inside info from the forum before I go. It has saved me thousands in the past...
Yep me too.
I only said that as it’s a brand new van and i think a lot of this post was condensation problems like I use to get, and solved with extra insulation on tailgate (only single glazed).
I leave rubber bung out too, hope you get them problems ironed out so you can enjoy the new van (dreaded teething problems!)
The new beach camper looks a cracking van :thumb

Yep me too.
I only said that as it’s a brand new van and i think a lot of this post was condensation problems like I use to get, and solved with extra insulation on tailgate (only single glazed).
I leave rubber bung out too, hope you get them problems ironed out so you can enjoy the new van (dreaded teething problems!)
The new beach camper looks a cracking van
Yep me too.
The new beach camper looks a cracking van :thumb
I feel stupid for not taking pics when i first noticed yesterday and then again today. When you’re busy away training dogs or off for a walk, you forget to ‘prioritise’ this as the dogs take over your priorities...

I feel stupid for not taking pics when i first noticed yesterday and then again today. When you’re busy away training dogs or off for a walk, you forget to ‘prioritise’ this as the dogs take over your priorities...
Just checking did you have wet dogs in van and then notice it, as Zebedee being wet and my waterproofs can cause a lot of condensation.

Just checking did you have wet dogs in van and then notice it, as Zebedee being wet and my waterproofs can cause a lot of condensation.
No. And an excellent question. But as I don’t yet have my new dog crates. The van has barely been driven and not with dogs, or even less so, wet dogs.
I should take some pics as it really looks like the top seal above the tailgate is leaking (and then dripping out the panel above the camper chair storage).
I’m starting to wonder if this is related to the issues @icic had...

So to feed back what happened in the end. The dealer did rain tests and found that the tailgate was leaking where the wiper is. This is why water was coming out of the bung at the bottom, then pooling below the fabric. Not helped by the trim not fitted correctly (condensation)

When they looked for leaks the first time they missed it. The second time the set up a rain simulation (hosepipe)for a few hours to find the leak. So a quick leak test a dealer might do might not find it, it needs a longer simulation.

I really hope you find the sources the leak. Oh and the trim they put back has opted off again last weekend. Back to the dealer again

I forgot to say what they did before the test was strip out all the trim, chair fabric and the board behind it, so it was just the metal door left. This is how they found the leak. However doing this means they need to break the board that the chair fabric attaches to, this has then to be replaced

So to feed back what happened in the end. The dealer did rain tests and found that the tailgate was leaking where the wiper is. This is why water was coming out of the bung at the bottom, then pooling below the fabric. Not helped by the trim not fitted correctly (condensation)

When they looked for leaks the first time they missed it. The second time the set up a rain simulation (hosepipe)for a few hours to find the leak. So a quick leak test a dealer might do might not find it, it needs a longer simulation.

I really hope you find the sources the leak. Oh and the trim they put back has opted off again last weekend. Back to the dealer again
This is different to my leak. It is definitely from the top of the tail gate and then dripping down... maybe I need to start a new thread when I get photo’s so as not to misdirect yours.

Yours does sound different, never saw any water leakage above the window it was always below the window. Slight good news might be easier to find the leak with the trim off as they will not have to break the board below the window, just removing the trim hopefully will find it. Would it make sense to just try a door seal replacement first just in case that’s the issue ?

I would avoid removing the trim as much as possible, as even dealers find it very hard to put back to factory fit, mines popped of again so has to go back again,

This is different to my leak. It is definitely from the top of the tail gate and then dripping down... maybe I need to start a new thread when I get photo’s so as not to misdirect yours.
If it is from Above the rear window, I would look at the rubber seal at the top of the tailgate opening.
Is there anything in the space behind the seal, such as leaves etc:. Clean it.
Is the seal deformed? If so it needs replacing.
Pull the seal off slightly so it stands a bit prouder and pushes against the closed tailgate.

If it is from Above the rear window, I would look at the rubber seal at the top of the tailgate opening.
Is there anything in the space behind the seal, such as leaves etc:. Clean it.
Is the seal deformed? If so it needs replacing.
Pull the seal off slightly so it stands a bit prouder and pushes against the closed tailgate.
It’s a few weeks old and tailgate barely been opened. I’ve not been using it as awaiting new dog crates.
I’ll try and get some pics next time it rains (won’t be long in Scotland...?

It’s a few weeks old and tailgate barely been opened. I’ve not been using it as awaiting new dog crates.
I’ll try and get some pics next time it rains (won’t be long in Scotland...?
I’ve seen it mentioned elsewhere that the tailgate seal can be pushed on too far and doesn’t actively seal against a closed tailgate. Severe, and I do mean severe rain, dependant on the direction and wind can then overcome the seal.
The trick then is to just ease the seal up along the top, and then just shut the tailgate so you get a positive seal. Rarely recurs.

I’ve seen it mentioned elsewhere that the tailgate seal can be pushed on too far and doesn’t actively seal against a closed tailgate. Severe, and I do mean severe rain, dependant on the direction and wind can then overcome the seal.
The trick then is to just ease the seal up along the top, and then just shut the tailgate so you get a positive seal. Rarely recurs.
I agree with Welshgas on a possible area of a leak. Had the same on my new T6 when away camping with a wind coming off the sea with the rear of the van facing into the wind. Has drips of water appearing on the trim above the rear window and dripping onto the bed. Read his post at the time and gently pulled the seal away from the body slightly around the top area so as to give a tighter seal against the top of the closed tailgate and this certainly fixed the issue for me, never had any leaks since.

Back