Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking tailgate

Recently discovered my rear blind was partly covered in mould, which I can only put down to moisture and a leak. Possibly the top brake light which I have had to do a silicone sealant job on. Despite being replaced under warranty some years back the fit was pretty poor and I suspect it was leaking.

Heavy rain here today. Some pics of my leaking tailgate seal. Have emailed the dealer.

949F3301-D08E-4B7E-828D-B5C5336260F0.jpeg

15539186-A12A-47FF-8529-EE76E284DFD7.jpeg

3D2BB684-D8D8-4C7D-A2F2-4989A11BC862.jpeg

BA8AA17F-23F6-4CDF-9799-7890DFB55C7B.jpeg

05628037-C059-4271-A1FC-71FA51618394.jpeg

6BC499A6-4BE7-4AC4-840B-776198FDD027.jpeg

What a nightmare on your new van. Hope they get it resolved for you ASAP Alison. Keep us updated eh?
Of course. Hopefully just a new seal.
I did try pulling it gently as advised a few posts above, but the part that fits around the tailgate frame has no movement. And on a brand new vehicle under warranty, I am a firm believer of doing very little and leaving it to the dealer to sort under warranty...

Hi Alison,

just a thought, the seal goes over the long plastic head lining trim panel. (Shown horizontal in your second and third photo)
the trim panel locates on about 5 rubber strips that are attached to the Hard bed extension (just inside the tailgate opening at head hight)
One of roger Donahues posts shows the trim panel partially remove to fit solar panel wiring ( have a look)
it’s hard to tell from the photos but that trim panel could be preventing the rubber from seating onto the bodywork panels (i.e holding the rubber recess off its full seat)
on my Beach MY18 there is some white non setting mastic type gunk along the edge of the steel panels which is only evident when the rubber is removed.
I presume this gunk assists the rubber seal make a water tight seal with the rubber, stops water ingress into the joint where the steel panels are spot welded and stops water tracking down the inside of the rubber (U channel where it fits over the steel panels) where it could bypass the seal.
The steel body work panels are profiled such that the rubber trim sits level with the vertical panel (in the centre of the roof) tapering out towards the edges.
the steel panels obviously form the vertical body structure that going into the roof panel.
the junction of these panels are designed to drain the water from the roof / tailgate aperture down either side of the tailgate (onto the rear lights) where it drains away. (also from the roof drain grommet either side)
It may be worth just pulling off the middle section of the rubber ( mid point) to see if the seal is wet in the recess and if you have the white sealant along the edge of the steel panels And if the trim panel protrudes past the edge of the steel bodywork panels (the junction of the vertical & horizontal)
I know it’s a new van and the dealer should sort it, I’m just trying to give you a few points to check for yourself before the dealer had a look and can‘t find any issue.
I hope the above description makes sense & is of some use, if not to you but others?

@Perfectos thanks for taking the time for such a detailed reply. I will go to the dealer first (so as not to risk ending up in a situation where I am accused of causing the problem or making it worse). And if not resolved, I will follow your advice. It is much appreciated. Thank you.
I have received auto replies from sales and service managers so now need to wait whilst the van sits in torrential rain...
I may put it on hook up and pop the dehumidifier in over the weekend...

@Perfectos thanks for taking the time for such a detailed reply. I will go to the dealer first (so as not to risk ending up in a situation where I am accused of causing the problem or making it worse). And if not resolved, I will follow your advice. It is much appreciated. Thank you.
I have received auto replies from sales and service managers so now need to wait whilst the van sits in torrential rain...
No worries Alison

polythene sheeting taped to the plastic tailgate panel (over the canvas chair holder) to keep that from becoming sodden and mouldy ?

@AlisonF i have a 2 week old cali and have noticed the start of a leak from the same
place as yours. Drips off the plastic trim onto the rear blind ledge and then down the blind slot.
Not brilliant for a new vehicle, especially as they carry/carried out rain tests on them.
I will be logging this with a dealer also, along with an intermittent fault with SOS function becoming a
unavailable.

@AlisonF i have a 2 week old cali and have noticed the start of a leak from the same
place as yours. Drips off the plastic trim onto the rear blind ledge and then down the blind slot.
Not brilliant for a new vehicle, especially as they carry/carried out rain tests on them.
I will be logging this with a dealer also, along with an intermittent fault with SOS function becoming a
unavailable.
Mine is now booked into the dealer end of next week. They said they would need it 2-3 days to do leak tests - I suggested the photo’s show clearly where it’s leaking so maybe a leak test not required. Fingers crossed it’ll be fixed...

Beach was in to dealer today. Had a call this afternoon. Leak test done, no leak. I said, sorry, have you seen the photo’s. Oh, no, but there was droplets on top of the seal. I said, please speak to A, B, or C - who have all been sent pics which clearly show the leak.
Van delivered back a short while ago. New tailgate seal.
I said, oops, what about the ‘BEACH’ logo that was missing, and the wind deflectors... (all mentioned in my original email). Oh sorry, we’ll mention that when we get back...
What an effing shambles between departments when it comes to communication.
Rant over, wine open.
Hope the new seal works, little confidence...

Beach was in to dealer today. Had a call this afternoon. Leak test done, no leak. I said, sorry, have you seen the photo’s. Oh, no, but there was droplets on top of the seal. I said, please speak to A, B, or C - who have all been sent pics which clearly show the leak.
Van delivered back a short while ago. New tailgate seal.
I said, oops, what about the ‘BEACH’ logo that was missing, and the wind deflectors... (all mentioned in my original email). Oh sorry, we’ll mention that when we get back...
What an effing shambles between departments when it comes to communication.
Rant over, wine open.
Hope the new seal works, little confidence...
So sorry you are having such hassle.
That’s appalling p*** poor service.
The purchase of a vehicle particularly an expensive one should be an enjoyable experience. Yes occasionally things will go wrong, but the credibility of a dealer and brand is in how they respond and put things right.
I would follow this debacle up with a written complaint, it’s not acceptable.

So sorry you are having such hassle.
That’s appalling p*** poor service.
The purchase of a vehicle particularly an expensive one should be an enjoyable experience. Yes occasionally things will go wrong, but the credibility of a dealer and brand is in how they respond and put things right.
I would follow this debacle up with a written complaint, it’s not acceptable.
You have read my history about this dealership... haha... sadly nowhere else to go up here...

What solved this for me was removing the little rubber bungs in the bottom of the tailgate door. Any water inside either through a leak or condensation now runs straight out.
I have water inside my tailgate. The cable gland had come adrift and water got in during recent heavy rain.

Do you have a T6? I can’t see any grommets at the bottom on my tailgate. The water dribbles out of the chair bag or the lock mechanism. The latter is fixed with two star bolts. I wonder about undoing those to any remaining water out. Anyone have knowledge of this?

I have water inside my tailgate. The cable gland had come adrift and water got in during recent heavy rain.

Do you have a T6? I can’t see any grommets at the bottom on my tailgate. The water dribbles out of the chair bag or the lock mechanism. The latter is fixed with two star bolts. I wonder about undoing those to any remaining water out. Anyone have knowledge of this?
You don’t have this bung on the 6.1 ?

22C98AB3-DA26-4BF0-8E05-F1EFA2A396D5.jpeg

Ours is a 2019 T6, seems very strange you don’t have that bung in the tailgate, they should be the same

Ours is a 2019 T6, seems very strange you don’t have that bung in the tailgate, they should be the same
Yeah, seems I need my eyes testing. That bit is as dry as a bone though. The water drips out of the tailgate lock mechanism

We had a drip there as well, but we had so much coming in that it came out of both holes, that was winter though after days of rain

I had problems with a leaky tailgate, water inside the cavity and dripping out from the picnic chair bag and tailgate catch.

I mentioned it when booking in for a service and they replaced the high level brake light under (year four of five years extended factory) warranty.

It has been dry ever since.

My high level brake light leaked too. That’s been replaced. I think the leak is my fault- the cable conduit had popped out of place after I fiddled with my solar connections. Hoping I won't get more water in, but I need to get all the water out.

My high level brake light leaked too. That’s been replaced. I think the leak is my fault- the cable conduit had popped out of place after I fiddled with my solar connections. Hoping I won't get more water in, but I need to get all the water out.
Take the bung out, and leave out for a while to air the cavity. Driving around with it out will help.

Thanks for the tips, folks. I’ll leave the bung out. I’m pretty sure the ingress was via the dislodged cable trunking at the top of the door (which is now reinstated properly

Update - still getting water in. I think the next thing. I'll try is the high level brake light; although it was replaced, I think I'll try sealing it in with Sikaflex. I wonder about removing the tailgate bag to inspect - anyone have any tips on this, before I weigh in with my ham fists?

Update - still getting water in. I think the next thing. I'll try is the high level brake light; although it was replaced, I think I'll try sealing it in with Sikaflex. I wonder about removing the tailgate bag to inspect - anyone have any tips on this, before I weigh in with my ham fists?
Taking the tailgate bag out is a bit of a faff but quite doable with the guides on here.
Replacing the 3rd brake light is good but the bodywork does need cleaning so the ‘tacky’ gasket can do its job properly! My new one arrived today to do the same job tomorrow!

Back