Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking tailgate

Well, I’ve still got a leak :(
2017 Ocean, owned from new

The inside of the van is dry. Occurs in heavy rain. I can hear water inside tailgate, it runs out of the tailgate lock mechanism or canvas bag. I had the high level brake light replaced by our trusted independent garage at last service. Rubber cable guide looks ok. Seal looks ok.

I’m thinking of stripping some/all trim from tailgate to see if I can work out where the leak is coming from, but I’m worried I won’t be able to get it back on properly. I’m working on the basis that water might be getting in at rear wiper motor (more likely?) or window seal (less likely because I did not have the problem for first several years of Ownership).

Any suggestions?

Yes you need to be careful when replacing the trim, I had mine taken out by the dealer, it's never truly come back in place again, it constantly pops out, it creates a small gap all around the trim. However it's not very noticeable unless you look closely

The leak we had was a faulty seal around the rear windscreen wiper

Well, I’ve still got a leak :(
2017 Ocean, owned from new

The inside of the van is dry. Occurs in heavy rain. I can hear water inside tailgate, it runs out of the tailgate lock mechanism or canvas bag. I had the high level brake light replaced by our trusted independent garage at last service. Rubber cable guide looks ok. Seal looks ok.

I’m thinking of stripping some/all trim from tailgate to see if I can work out where the leak is coming from, but I’m worried I won’t be able to get it back on properly. I’m working on the basis that water might be getting in at rear wiper motor (more likely?) or window seal (less likely because I did not have the problem for first several years of Ownership).

Any suggestions?
Although you have had the brake light changed I would check that that it’s not the culprit by putting a temporary seal over it. Clear PVC tape would be invisible and provide a watertight seal.
When I refitted mine I used silicon sealant as the original sealing gasket didn’t look up to much.

The rear trim does come away and go back nicely if you’re careful and follow the guides. It’s not a quick process but you can leave off all the aesthetic parts and leave it bare for a while if it makes locating the source of the leak easier.

You do need to be careful installing a new high brake light unit. Surfaces need to be cleaned to get a good seal and the screws tighteded carefully. They do have an odd spring loaded tensioning system and can snap off.

If it was brake light related, I’d also Ssuggest spending (triple!) rather than buying an aftermarket £20 lamp. The genuine ones to tend to sit and seal more reliably.

But of course, this may not be the source of yours!

I’d imagine the glass seal to be very unlikely - bonds from the factory rarely break down by themselves.

It’s probably the seal on the tailgate light. Would fit a new one and see if it cures. Getting the trim off needs trim tools & confident brute force!, but on the right fixing points.

Do you know if your Indy used a genuine VW part or an aftermarket one?

The parts look the same but the VW has tougher plastic on the spring / screw mounts, so achieves a very good seal.

My local garage replaced the tailgate light for £80. They also removed the little black plugs to let it all drain properly.

Worth checking the rear blind for damp. If left wet the silver surface of the blind comes off.

The rear trim does come away and go back nicely if you’re careful and follow the guides. It’s not a quick process but you can leave off all the aesthetic parts and leave it bare for a while if it makes locating the source of the leak easier.

You do need to be careful installing a new high brake light unit. Surfaces need to be cleaned to get a good seal and the screws tighteded carefully. They do have an odd spring loaded tensioning system and can snap off.

If it was brake light related, I’d also Ssuggest spending (triple!) rather than buying an aftermarket £20 lamp. The genuine ones to tend to sit and seal more reliably.

But of course, this may not be the source of yours!

I’d imagine the glass seal to be very unlikely - bonds from the factory rarely break down by themselves.
thats interesting it does go back in your experience, it went back to the dealer twice as it would not stay in place, gave up in the end, they even replaced all the trim catches, still won't stay flush

Back