Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Font fog lights/Roof drain tubes

Pickything

Pickything

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Warning !! the following is a tale of woe and your advice required.
In August I had a set front fog lights fitted to my T5 Cali Beach, they were not OE but pattern from Van Styles and specific for a VW T5.1. no issues with the kit supplied and all good. Local independent garage fitted them and said it was straight forward job. I was happy with the neat work and all working perfectly.
What I didn't know was that they disconnected the end of the drain tube for the offside roof inside the dashboard back plate and never reconnected it.
After a dry summer I began to notice a wet area between the front seats behind the handbrake. Thinking it was spilled liquid from a dropped bottle I cleaned it and thought nothing more. This tale continues with yet more water ingress into the cab and always behind the front seats ? Weeks of searching for the possible leak resulted in an eventual self test of the roof drain points which proved that the front offside wasn't working. The water would somehow find its way into the cab and exit under the drivers seat near to the B pillar.
I eventually booked into SMG Tonbridge in Nov and after an explanation of my findings they discovered the drain tube was disconnected. This cost me the best part of £200 for the diagnosis and repair. (reconnecting)
I will obviously be speaking to the independent garage, but I'm now left with a sodden front carpet and advice is needed for drying out ?? or is it a case of ripping out the carpet and underlay then replacing with new ?
If it is the latter any ideas of supplier or where too get the work done. SMG engineer indicated it was a long and expensive process.
Hopefully someone will learn from my mistake but any advice will be appreciated.
:help Pickything

I would tell the fitting garage and aked them to pay the repair cost -see what happens, you could try small claims court, but could be difficult to if they say if they were not at fault.

You could try putting an old sheet over the carpet to protect it from staining the some cat litter on top to absorb the moisture, and repeat until the worst is gone. Maybe a dehumidifier also.

Had a similar problem with my 51 plate Passat box under battery drain tube blocked and carpets drivers side front and rear sodden.
I mopped most up, carpets still sodden used a low wattage fan heater and dehumidifier, took weeks to dry out but now ok

Same happened to me. Lift carpet from step & dry as best you can with a towel. Then put a dehumidifier in the van till it stops collecting water. Use ehu cable & plug dehumidifier into van socket. Took a few days but will depend on how wet it is.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Can you get a dehumidifier in there? Hire one if necessary and within a few days it will be fine.

Don’t even consider pulling the carpet out it’s bonded on the backing in most places and will rip the backing (insulation off )
I recently took a t4 multivan it px on my Kombi and pulled the full interior out to jet wash it,so I know how well vw bond there carpet in also it’s a big job taking out the bottom off the dashboard to get the carpet out.
It will dry as above dehumidifier or put a small oil radiator inside on full for a few days it will probably smell musty for a few weeks especially in this weather.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and I think the dehumidifier/heater is the way forward.. Cheers :thanks

Carpet cleaning vacuum would get up most of the water.

Back