Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Food for 1st night in France

Ting Tong

Ting Tong

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Feeling a bit stuck on what to eat when we arrive in France off a late afternoon Eurotunnel crossing. I want to do some miles and don’t want to stop to shop or at a restaurant. I’ll stop for the night and cook dinner when I’m tired. Previously we would have taken food from home but you can’t take much now except pasta, rice and porridge i.e. no meat, veg or dairy and that seems to include tinned. There is the option of hiding a few tins of M&S curry.

Feeling a bit stuck on what to eat when we arrive in France off a late afternoon Eurotunnel crossing. I want to do some miles and don’t want to stop to shop or at a restaurant. I’ll stop for the night and cook dinner when I’m tired. Previously we would have taken food from home but you can’t take much now except pasta, rice and porridge i.e. no meat, veg or dairy and that seems to include tinned. There is the option of hiding a few tins of M&S curry.
The larger service stations have a good stock of meals, salads, snacks etc in the fridge. Not the sort of food you would eat every day, but fine for a quick fill.

As far as I understand you can take eggs and tinned fish.(Tuna and Salmon) ..
Therefor nice scrambled or poached eggs on toast (with olive oil spread) for breakfast and tuna sandwich for lunch...that should get you to a supermarket. Oh and to drink black coffee or tea...Or maybe just wait till you find something in France.

"I want to do some miles and don’t want to stop to shop or at a restaurant."

Fish and vegetables seems to be allowed. Perhaps you could bring some fresh fish you can fry and naan bread (if you have a omnia oven or ridge monkey) and some haricots verts.

Or fish, rice and fruits.

"I want to do some miles and don’t want to stop to shop or at a restaurant."

Fish and vegetables seems to be allowed. Perhaps you could bring some fresh fish you can fry and naan bread (if you have a omnia oven or ridge monkey) and some haricots verts.

Or fish, rice and fruits.
No vegetables apparently but salmon risotto seems an option.

Loads of vegan stuff about these days burgers and sausages or fake chicken all very nice. Be warned a lot of french haven’t a clue what vegan is!

Has anyone actually traveled to Europe and been searched. I don’t mean a friend of a mate how knew someone. I mean someone on here who has personally been there and been searched with food confiscated.

I can’t see the problem with stopping and buying stuff, things are cheaper over there and there’s loads of super markets especially Aldi and Lidl.

Love the giant super mache at tunnel literally I day set off an hour earlier and stock up your larder b4 you hit the long road

Last time I was there jan 2020 came out of centre the car park was crawling with immigrants trying to sneak on to vehicles.
The euro tunnel pet passport let me sleep in there carpark until my train.

Well I am French, and totally blown away by this post existing at all, as well as the replies, what a waste of time. Firstly French food is amongst the worlds most finest. Secondly, France isn’t the 3rd world, the majority of fuel stations offer salads and sandwiches at a modest prices. We even have Coca Cola, and energy drinks :thumb. You make it sound like you are taking your Cali to the Falklands. Don’t worry, you will eat very well, gain several pounds, and relish your expedition. Now if you wrote here about French drivers and driving, I’d understand, but food, no lol.

Enjoy your trip

Just go to the shop In france for christ sake. How hard is it? You will lose no more time than shopping in UK. I don't get these posts whining about not being able to take a fu££ing ham sandwich to france

Well I am French, and totally blown away by this post existing at all, as well as the replies, what a waste of time. Firstly French food is amongst the worlds most finest. Secondly, France isn’t the 3rd world, the majority of fuel stations offer salads and sandwiches at a modest prices. We even have Coca Cola, and energy drinks :thumb. You make it sound like you are taking your Cali to the Falklands. Don’t worry, you will eat very well, gain several pounds, and relish your expedition. Now if you wrote here about French drivers and driving, I’d understand, but food, no lol.

Enjoy your trip
I'm English and I agree totally

Quite agree, I can’t think of anything I would rather be doing at midnight having just driven off the train than going shopping in Calais.
It’s a great start to a holiday and highly recommended. What makes it even better is that the only things you need to buy are those that you had to put in a bin 45 minutes earlier so no need for a big trolley.

Quite agree, I can’t think of anything I would rather be doing at midnight having just driven off the train than going shopping in Calais.
It’s a great start to a holiday and highly recommended. What makes it even better is that the only things you need to buy are those that you had to put in a bin 45 minutes earlier so no need for a big trolley.
Do people even know that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit ??

Perhaps it's a good idea if people try and read the original posters question a bit better before they answer.

Half of the replies in this thread give advise about where you can shop for food in France, where to find restaurants, or the quality of the French cuisine. When he specifically mentions in his post that this is what he -doesnt- want to do.

I'm sure the original poster knows there are shops in France, as well as gas stations and restaurants and that the French are known for their great food.

But he mentions clearly that he doesnt want to stop to shop or visit a restaurant --because he wants to make some miles, e.a. keep driving--. It's a matter of not losing time and not a matter of being adverse to french shops, restaurants or food. If you read the post, this is obvious.

Reading helps:

- the original poster getting a usefull answer to the question
- the thread from going directions it shouldn't

just my 2 cents.

Yes
Perhaps it's a good idea if people try and read the original posters question a bit better before they answer.

Half of the replies in this thread give advise about where you can shop for food in France, where to find restaurants, or the quality of the French cuisine. When he specifically mentions in his post that this is what he -doesnt- want to do.

I'm sure the original poster knows there are shops in France, as well as gas stations and restaurants and that the French are known for their great food.

But he mentions clearly that he doesnt want to stop to shop or visit a restaurant --because he wants to make some miles, e.a. keep driving--. It's a matter of not losing time and not a matter of being adverse to french shops, restaurants or food. If you read the post, this is obvious.

Reading helps:

- the original poster getting a usefull answer to the question
- the thread from going directions it shouldn't

just my 2 cents.
Yes thank you. I’m towing a large trailer and don’t want to stop unless abs necessary. I want to get as far as I can before a French holiday weekend starts. I’m aware there are shops in France that sell nice food which is exactly where Mrs TT will be going when I’m unloading the fu££ing trailer. It’s alright tho thanks we’re sorted with a couple of prawn pot noodles and a can of Carling to share.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t share the Carling personally, particularly as French beer is crap. I don’t recommend more than 2 bottles of Kronenburg or Bière 33 on any one night unless you have a an XL box of Rennie around for the night acid ;).

If you do need to buy food from a fuel station here, salads and sandwiches by the brand ‘Sodebo’ are good quality, reasonably priced and found pretty much everywhere.

What I wrote in my previous post was tongue in cheek, but seriously your main worry with food here will be to not put on too many pounds.

Enjoy the trip and have fun!

I can’t see the problem with stopping and buying stuff, things are cheaper over there and there’s loads of super markets especially Aldi and Lidl.
Well probably not cheaper but certainly a terrific selection. People will adjust to the way they travel in the future. Surely 12 hours without certain things is not the end of the world. But also remember you will have to get rid of all that French,Spanish or Dutch food on the way home. Double whammy.

Quite empathise with you.

One of the reasons for getting our Cali was the Fridge, instead of a coolbox in the car, to take a few days food supply over to our Normandy home. This gave us time to get the place in order, grass cut etc. before a shopping trip. We also took some food items not available in France.
We always travel daytime and arrive at our home circa 23.15 using the Caen Ferry that arrives at 21.30.
Fridge will be virtually empty now with a basic milk and margarine stop at a Services now called for followed by a next day shopping run. This will add to the Euro spend.

Surely 12 hours without certain things is not the end of the world. But also remember you will have to get rid of all that French,Spanish or Dutch food on the way home. Double whammy.

Its 12 hours without any dairy products - I do need milk in the coffee, I understand that even powdered milk is not allowed.

You don't have to bin it coming home, the rules on what you can bring back in have not changed.

Back