Forum Server Move, Please read and Take note

VW Cali Forum

VW Cali Forum

Administrator
Admin/Founder
forum co ordinator
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hello Everyone :) Hope you are all well .

As you all know we moved to a new forum setup a couple of weeks ago, This weekend we will be going through "phase 2" of our big overhaul and moving the site to a much quicker server, Some of you may or may not notices the small difference in page loading times but behind the scenes it gives us good room for growth and expansion.

With any server move there are complications which come along with it, if you see any bugs or have any issues regardless of how trivial and small you may think they are please report them in this thread after the server move is complete.

There are also complications for you at home, Once the server move is complete your computers and devices will try and view the website on its current server even though its been moved, this takes around 24 hours for all the datacentres around the world to update the sites new location. This can be frustrating and on some of you will experience issues because your computers have stored cached versions of the forum.

This will pass within 24 hours however , you can force your computers to clear cache, cookies and DNS cache, by clearing your cache and cookies you ensure your computer is fresh, the extra step is following this info :

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/How+To+Clear+Your+DNS+Cache

This will clear your computers and local datacentres DNS cache, you may need to do this a number of times before it clears completely.

When we close the forum on Saturday Morning there will be a "closed forum" notice which will explain we will be back in 5 - 10 hours time, if that notice then changes to instructions on how to clear your DNS cache it means you are one of those which is still looking at the old server and not the new one, if you see the forum open then its business as normal.

So just to confirm, Saturday Morning GMT we will be closing the forum, the site will be moved to a new server and then we will open the site back up, if you see a notice explaining how to clear your DNS cache it means you need to clear your cookies, cache and DNS cache ( like the link above says how to ).

Sorry for the long winded way of saying all of that, i was trying to put it as simply as possible :)

I know how much hassle these things are, hope it all goes as smoothly as it can!

Ok guys, If you can see this message it means you made it through the server move just fine :)

We decided to work through the night instead of this morning in hope that the transition of moving locations would update around the world before most of you had woken up, thus causing less headache than normal.

Some of you may still see a flash of "Message 2 of 2" which is currently up as a notice on the old server, if that happens clear your cookies and cache, and follow the link to clear your DNS cache and it should resolve its self . By tomorrow this should have passed, if you still get that message tomorrow please use the contact form and the guys will either try and help or pass you on to my kind self :)

I will be working on the server later today , there might be some minor disruption but nothing significant. Its just a matter of finishing performance bits off.

Goodness, for a new member he really likes to give the orders ...

I will soon have to change my status to "trappestine member"

Seriously, thank you for another seamless piece of improvement and updating ...:thumb

"With any server move there are complications which come along with it, if you see any bugs or have any issues regardless of how trivial and small you may think they are please report them in this thread after the server move is complete."

It is not showing on the left hand side which threads you have replied to, otherwise all seems well.:thumb

"With any server move there are complications which come along with it, if you see any bugs or have any issues regardless of how trivial and small you may think they are please report them in this thread after the server move is complete."

It is not showing on the left hand side which threads you have replied to, otherwise all seems well.:thumb

Working ok now.:bananadance

I don't have a lhs of threads that I have replied to, never have done ... what page is that on?

miss deprived of Sussex

Jen if you click on new posts and look over to the left you will see
People avatars if you have replied in that thread your avatar will be over the top. God I'm terrible at explaining things:D

I had to log in , but had no futher probs ....so far...last time it seemed more troubled but the admins did a great job explaning things...
Hope we are good for some time?
Does'nt all this coast some money....?