Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August

M

Markm

VIP Member
Looking to grab a week in france 2nd half of august in the van with the kids. Any suggestions, would prefer by the sea but seeing as its august and its only a few weeks away, that might be a tall order

BMVS-Camper-Hire

BMVS-Camper-Hire

Camperhire
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We are going back to the alps for the third year running. Back to Lake Annecy, so you get the best of both worlds, beautiful views and water :thumb

The only thing to be aware of is that the campsites do get booked up early, we booked in October!!

teeboy

teeboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
There is a good write up in this months VWT Magazine about a tour down the West Coast of France and into Spain all in one week.

They went out of season, so in August you will have more camp site choices.

I have replicated their route (roughly) here - http://goo.gl/maps/wbXBt - I added the La Rochelle stop!!!

T

MKRW

MKRW

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We are off to the same place as last year in the Vendee. Only 6 hour drive from the tunnel and have v. good weather last year.

Plenty of campsites in the area. Check around Les Sables-d'Olonne.

D book your crossing now. We were daft and only booked last week and the prices were crazy expensive and not much availability to travel when we planned to.

sidepod

sidepod

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Now we've been to the South of France for the last four years in August (not our choice of date, holidays are dictated by work!).

If you have to travel on a Saturday then prepare for a loooooonnnnnnnggggggg trip. Every Frenchman, German, Dutch and Belgian head for the south in August.
Check when the various regions of France take their hols.

Last year we cracked it. Late afternoon tunnel on Friday. Brim it and drive through the night. Don't lift until you see your destination. If you stop and snooze thinking you'll get away early, forget it. You'll wake up to grid lock.

Honestly, I'd rethink.

This year, we'll be the ones heading south as the hordes return :lol: :lol: :lol:

S.

H

HistoryBob

Guest User
Try this place
http://www.camping-lecolombier.com/en/
It's in Normandy. About an hour from the coast. I've been there twice and will be there again in August. A really well looked after site and lots to do for the kids including a heated swimming pool in the most gorgeous setting. It's a pleasant 2-3 hour drive from Calais.
Have Fun

M

muttley

Guest User
We will also be in France for the last two weeks of August. I am taking a chance and haven't booked anything, as we plan to tour and I want the flexibility of staying for a few days if we find somewhere nice, and moving on if not. I have been advised by experienced travellers on here that it is generally not a problem to find a site, unless you want a large family-friendly site with all facilities. Which we don't.

I am planning to drive down to Antibes through the night (about 11 hrs from Calais), and then to take a leisurely two weeks to make our way back. I really don't know France well at all, and I have found the Wild Swimming France book to be very useful. It details hundreds of lovely lakes, gorges and child-friendly rivers and we are plotting a rough course to include quite a few of these.

Simon

sd5000

sd5000

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Martin said:
Here is a handy PDF to refer to for anyone travelling to France

http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.f ... e_2013.pdf

Very useful link - thanks Martin :thumb . We are in France in August and it's pure luck that we seem to have avoided Black Saturday so will use this info in future

@Markm - we booked the ferry a few months ago but have only just booked campsites and there was plenty of availability around La Rochelle, Royan etc and the Loire. We were trying to find sites within walking distance to town to save moving the Cali all the time which was trickier...