Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Free VW data dongle thingy

My dongle thing has never worked. Lights up but won’t pair. Van is a 2009 so maybe too early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good. Where does it plug in?

Phoned local dealer - need to do through service dept who register the dataplug to the car. Closed until Monday unfortunately, so will have to wait to try it out.

Mods (@hotel california ), if you want to redeem yourselves and unmerge this thread please go ahead!

Sounds good. Where does it plug in?
The plug is a Scart connection and if you stand by your open drivers door and stoop down around seat level, you will see a purple Scart socket on the right, underneath the dashboard

Thread now merged with another thread, so posts still a bitout of context, but at least it is the correct topic now, thanks.

Phoned another dealer and they said they can give me one today, so just about to pop out and pick one up.

Phoned local dealer - need to do through service dept who register the dataplug to the car. Closed until Monday unfortunately, so will have to wait to try it out.

Mods (@hotel california ), if you want to redeem yourselves and unmerge this thread please go ahead!
My local dealer just gave me one, no details taken.

Hello,

Just saw this thread.

I had to pay EUR 50.00 for the data plug. I used it on the Tigan and now on the California.

I use the fuel monitor part, have an eye on my trips and it already help with the "parking space" (in Belfast) to find the car again. The statistics are interesting, but wit the new version of the VW Connect it is not that informative anymore. "My Challanges" are interesting which I use (follow) as well.

In general it is working quite well.

Regards,
Eberhard

Got my free plug, they just handed it over, no questions asked. Looks quite useful, will make doing my expenses a bit easier

Last edited:
Hello,

Just saw this thread.

I had to pay EUR 50.00 for the data plug. I used it on the Tigan and now on the California.

I use the fuel monitor part, have an eye on my trips and it already help with the "parking space" (in Belfast) to find the car again. The statistics are interesting, but wit the new version of the VW Connect it is not that informative anymore. "My Challanges" are interesting which I use (follow) as well.

In general it is working quite well.

Regards,
Eberhard
I don't think you should have paid anything.
Worth checking with a call to the dealer or another dealer?

Well, it is on the Irish VW web page for Euro 49.99 (or so).

They are not so good in giving something for free. :-(.

It’s ALL a big con. I agree you get some ?? useful data for your own use but I bet VW get a lot more about REAL World motoring for the development of the next generation vehicles.

Eg: Trip lengths/ mileage’s. If you were developing a hybrid then if you could cover the short trips/stop-start trips on battery power and reserve fossil fuel for longer trips you could make quit an environmental impact.
But what are the real world short trips for each vehicle type?
The information from the Dongle would help in development.

Heritage VWCV refused me on the grounds of "VW don't do them for commercial vehicles" Really?... Loosers..

I was told the same thing last week when I asked for one at Heritage VWCV.

My dealer gave me 2 - was actually a car dealership as it fits both car and commercial vehicles built after a certain time - both were given free. I have one in my Golf GTI and one in my T6 California - if your commercial dealer won't help try the local VW Car dealership. Hope that helps.

Good morning,

I bought the DataPlug from my local VW dealer as a spare part. I used it first on my Tiguan and only a few weeks ago on the California.

What I try to say is that the DataPlug should not be car specific (of course only to some extent).

Regards,
Eberhard

Just popped into VW Northampton (Vindis).....received the same blank look from their parts department that i got from their sales team when i asked them questions re the California when i started looking to buy.

So left empty handled with them saying they make some enquiries to find out what one is.

To mirror many previous posts, I just went to the local vw car dealer and gave them my registration (yesterday).
No questions asked!
Fitted today no problems!

The key is to go to a VW car dealer, not the Commercial dealer we bought our Cali's from.
They won't care that you didn't buy the vehicle from them, they should find your details from the Cali Vehicle Reg and just hand one over.

The key is to go to a VW car dealer, not the Commercial dealer we bought our Cali's from.
They won't care that you didn't buy the vehicle from them, they should find your details from the Cali Vehicle Reg and just hand one over.
My car dealer didn't even want my registration, just handed over a dongle!

I just picked one up from the local VW car dealer. The guy didn't ask anything at all even though I drove up in a non-VW car!!

It installed with no problems. Will see how useful it is in the coming months.

Can I ask someone in the south/M4 corridor to kindly contact me and share the dealers who hand over these dongles and I will pick one up on my travels. I went to my local VW garage, Breeze in Portsmouth and they hadn't heard of these things. I left my details with the manager to find out and let me know but he never called me back. Now I am reluctant to take my van there for it's service.
Thanks

Back