Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Free VW data dongle thingy

Can I ask someone in the south/M4 corridor to kindly contact me and share the dealers who hand over these dongles and I will pick one up on my travels. I went to my local VW garage, Breeze in Portsmouth and they hadn't heard of these things. I left my details with the manager to find out and let me know but he never called me back. Now I am reluctant to take my van there for it's service.
Thanks
If it's a dealer you'd go to for a service then I assume it's a VW Commercial Van dealer - most Commercial dealers haven't a clue about these , it's a VW Car dealer you need to go to :thumb

Can I ask someone in the south/M4 corridor to kindly contact me and share the dealers who hand over these dongles and I will pick one up on my travels. I went to my local VW garage, Breeze in Portsmouth and they hadn't heard of these things. I left my details with the manager to find out and let me know but he never called me back. Now I am reluctant to take my van there for it's service.
Thanks
Breeze in Portsmouth is pretty useless. I went there at the end of the summer when we were briefly back in the UK to take up VW's offer of a dash cam and install. Even though they had it advertised in their office they had no idea what it was or how much it would cost...

I'm not sure I would trust them with a windscreen wiper blade change now.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Breeze in Portsmouth is pretty useless. I went there at the end of the summer when we were briefly back in the UK to take up VW's offer of a dash cam and install. Even though they had it advertised in their office they had no idea what it was or how much it would cost...

I'm not sure I would trust them with a windscreen wiper blade change now.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
I went into Breeze in Poole asking for one, once it was established I was not buying a car they had no interest at all, suddenly they had run out of stock and they were on back order I then popped round to the van side, who said the car side had loads but won't give them anyNot a professional reprsentation for VWUK

I went to Peter Coopers (VW dealership in Portsmouth) first. They knew whatbthey were but as soon as I said I had a van they couldn't get me out the door quick enough and referred me to Breeze around the corner. Why is there so much inconsistency among dealers.

Also peter coopers hedge end

Windrush in Slough have given me one with no questions asked but that's just north of the M4 :D

So has anyone found it useful?

I can't help thinking that if VW are giving them away like confetti, there must be more in this for them than their customers. I haven't bothered to get one as I already know where I've parked it, am unlikely to change my driving habits and couldn't care less about winning points or prizes.

Or have I missed the point?

Last edited:
After a short play with this gizmo, I beginning to agree with you Paul. However, as it is now in the van, I will give it a chance.

If it shows you where you've parked does that mean it could be useful as a rudimentary security tracking device?

If it shows you where you've parked does that mean it could be useful as a rudimentary security tracking device?

No does not have GPS capability just uses bluetooth to connect to your phone

I'm still coming to terms with app-connect .... car play.......something else connect ........ USB link for phone and separate USB control for I Pad (music library).... if I add anything else into the pot I would probably blow the machine up :shocked

@Borris i think it's a novelty for the most part but it does have some useful features especially if you don't want to engage your brain.
How long did a journey take?
How much fuel is left (when you are sat in bed and contemplating stoping for it on the way to work)
When's the next service indicated?
Plus you have your vehicle details in general in your pocket.
For me, in a previous land rover version, I did change my style of driving.
Not much but it helped me hone my economic style without holding up the traffic :cool:

@Borris i think it's a novelty for the most part but it does have some useful features especially if you don't want to engage your brain.
How long did a journey take?
How much fuel is left (when you are sat in bed and contemplating stoping for it on the way to work)
When's the next service indicated?
Plus you have your vehicle details in general in your pocket.
For me, in a previous land rover version, I did change my style of driving.
Not much but it helped me hone my economic style without holding up the traffic :cool:
But can't you already get all that info from the MFD?

Yes a lot of it
but not from your arm chair or in your office!
No diiferent than listening to music from your car stereo and saying you don't need an iPod or radio in that sense.
It's really about something else you can have on your mobile phone to sit next to the calculator, torch and angry birds

use my watch

warning light comes on at abot 40 mile range

waring light give ample warning or you can check the dash read out

happy without it in my view:thumb
agree novelty
It's truly which ever way floats your boat!
I gave up turning the tv over when remotes came out.:veryfunny
But but but......still very much a novelty.

I went to Peter Coopers (VW dealership in Portsmouth) today to try and get a data plug but as soon as I said I had a Cali they referred me to Breeze Vans around the corner who of course knew nothing about data plugs.

I then phoned Peter Coopers in Chichester, said they would phone me back which they didn’t. Don’t you just love car dealerships!

No does not have GPS capability just uses bluetooth to connect to your phone

It only knows the last location that the data plug talked to your phone. If the van moves subsequently, your phone will be none the wiser :(

I got one of these. What app do I need. I tried the we connect app and it wont accept my vin number

I got one of these. What app do I need. I tried the we connect app and it wont accept my vin number
I have been trying to reload my dongle and given up! I think they changed the App to We connect go but I suspect that officially the dongle is not meant for commercial vehicles so doesn’t want to play if you enter a “non car” VIN.
Mine used to work on the old App.

I have been trying to reload my dongle and given up! I think they changed the App to We connect go but I suspect that officially the dongle is not meant for commercial vehicles so doesn’t want to play if you enter a “non car” VIN.
Mine used to work on the old App.
Cheers. I'll try we connect go. My app just called we connect so I'll uninstall that

Back