Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Free VW data dongle thingy

greenfintry

greenfintry

Cometh the van cometh the hour
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Apologies for asking for a link to this conversation but I can’t find it by any searching etc. A couple of months ago there was discussion about a data plug in that can be got from VW that gives mpg etc .. but I can’t recall what it was called, and all the search terms I’ve tried have failed! Any help most appreciated

VW DataPlug. Got mine from the local VW garage.

Got mine from VW car dealership, parts counter. Didn't even ask for vehicle details just gave me one.

Thanks, knew it was a simple term, just didn’t put those words together

My wife picked mine up. She was asked for the vehicle registration number but as she didn't know it, she was asked to phone them with it later. We never did let them know what the reg no was - completely forgot about it until now.

Heritage VWCV refused me on the grounds of "VW don't do them for commercial vehicles" Really?... Loosers..

We didn't use a Commercial Vehicle outlet - just cars. They didn't ask what type of VW we had.

Mentioned it when booking my California in for Service and 1st MOT, ready and waiting when I arrived.
Bit of a pain to set up on my Android phone so tried my iPad and finally connected and registered.

Popped into a Vw car dealership and was handed one just had to give name address and reg so they could register it......

My dealer didn't have one but he contacted the local car dealer. Drove over and picked one up.

When you sign up are you sharing the data with VW or is this vehicle to app only?

Can someone confirm what data, apart from mpg, that it gives you?

Where exactly do you plug it in?

Where exactly do you plug it in?
The OBD Diagnostic socket - and before you ask, its located by your R knee under the dashboard next to the Bonnet release.

The option in settings is to allow them to gather anonymous data.

Interesting, my cynical head thought they might tie you in to sharing your personal data which could make warranty claims interesting. Would love to check the payload though - might get one and see what's in there if possible.

If you want to buy this thing make sure you can download the app. Here in France I get the message "this app cannot be used in your device's country". Weird geo-restriction!

If you want to buy this thing make sure you can download the app. Here in France I get the message "this app cannot be used in your device's country". Weird geo-restriction!

Have you tried over a VPN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My local Spanish dealer wouldn't give me one, he said they are causing problems with the bluetooth or something like that...

That’s tosh. I’ve fitted mine (got it via my Father in Law who owns a Golf). It pairs fine with my iPhone automatically and I can still pair my iPhone with the Bluetooth settings on the Campervan.

That’s tosh. I’ve fitted mine (got it via my Father in Law who owns a Golf). It pairs fine with my iPhone automatically and I can still pair my iPhone with the Bluetooth settings on the Campervan.
I told him plenty of people in the UK were using them without any problems but he wasn't having it, he said to come back in a couple of months so we will see.

My local Volkswagen car dealer gave me one for my Golf and one for my Cali FOC this week so still available. Have yet to set either up.

Back