Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

French heat!

Good evening,

We are on a campsite not far away from Florence. The highest temperature today was 36, but as in the past days in Austria and Poland the nights were actually quite cool.

My biggest problem is the matraze. I think it is terrible hard, I could sleep on the kitchen floor! I wake up at night with back pain. My wife sleeps upstairs and she is fine. So far I don't want to swap because there is always something to dobefore bedtime and in the morning.

Tomorrow we hope to find a campsite in pompei. There are just 380 km left.

Regards,
Eberhard

Bellcrew, I’m in Tétouan for a while minus the van. I’ll do some shots before the end of July
Done a quick job just to show you. It can be a lot neater! The lead is connected under the front seat and attaches by an Anderson plug and socket3AEA3D65-B79D-4A64-97A0-EF79DFFED8D2.jpeg3AEA3D65-B79D-4A64-97A0-EF79DFFED8D2.jpegC40E86D7-76AF-4685-B16F-113BF94FA778.jpeg

Letting the engine running idle for minutes won't really help in my opinion. When driving, you have more airflow, and the engine will cool better when driving than idle. When you stop, the heath from the tarmac will be much hotter to 'cool' down the engine. The only reason to let your engine run for a couple of seconds after stopping, is for the turbo to spin down, and let the oil run through it. If you stop your engine while the turbo is still spun on, then the turbo will spin off without oil when shutting the engine off.

Once (In 2000 I think) we returned from the south of France in my parent's car without airco (VW Passat from 1993). It was the hottest day on July 21st. We drove with all the windows open and the sunroof open. We stopped to try to cool down and got back driving as soon as we got out of the car and felt the heath from the black tarmac. It was much less hot while driving than standing still.
So stop start system could wreck a turbo then

I doubt the present heat is going to make much difference to the turbo temperature as it runs extremely hot anyway. I agree about letting the engine run though, not just in hot weather. The oil can carbonise in the bearings with excessive heat meaning eventually it will seize.

In the past maybe but the advances made in engine design and modern lubrication etc: to enable Stop/Start technology to work efficiently have made such a practice redundant in normal driving.

In the past maybe but the advances made in engine design and modern lubrication etc: to enable Stop/Start technology to work efficiently have made such a practice redundant in normal driving.

Sorry disagree. That refers to stop start systems which I guess only on average stop the engine for short periods before pumping oil round again. Im talking about where the engine has worked hard, high speed, hills etc and is then stopped. If I can do anything to help prolong my vehicles life then I will.
If you're getting rid when out of warranty then fine let the next user have the problems.

Sorry disagree. That refers to stop start systems which I guess only on average stop the engine for short periods before pumping oil round again. Im talking about where the engine has worked hard, high speed, hills etc and is then stopped. If I can do anything to help prolong my vehicles life then I will.
If you're getting rid when out of warranty then fine let the next user have the problems.
I presume you slow down before you stop? I did mention “ Normal “ driving. But even so, the engineering improvements made for Stop/Start regarding bearings and lubricants would still have a significant effect compared to what was used 10 years ago.
I think you will have to search very hard for any significant evidence regarding the need to specially idle a modern turbo engine before switching off to prolong turbo life.

I tend to find that when I’ve driven hard or up significant hills I’ve also slowed down before stopping. I’ve never had occasion to switch off the engine from a high rev/ high power state without slowing down first.

Is that running on 12v ? It looks big, can you
make the downstairs bed with it in place and does
it work well.
It’ll fit with the bed out or it could go on the passenger seat.
Works best to keep the van cool not from very hot. I cool the van first with the van a/c. If the voltage drops too low it turns off.

I’ve used this one and the previous one in the Sahara where the ambient temperature gets hot in the day and chilly at night and haven’t experienced any problems.

So stop start system could wreck a turbo then
An engine with stop/start will have parts adapted to the system. And the engine will only cut out when "everything is fine".
Stopping my engine while still in revs, will eventually brake the turbo and/or engine, because it is not adapted to stop/start. So I will cut off my engine when I am to a full halt, and then just 1 or 2 seconds stationary. When driving in hot weather (like today), I will let the engine run for about 5 seconds after a full stop. But I certainly will not let it run for minutes. I also put off the aircon (If I remember) about 10 minutes before destination, sometime less, to let the arico radiator(s) dry out.

Weather has broken here in the Pyrenees. Big thunderstorm. 35 on our patio an hour ago, now 25.
Soo nice and fresh but now got to go to the tip in the pouring rain.

The Dunes du Pilat campings doesn’t exist anymore! can’t believe it,……