Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fresh water level sensor for T5

B

Big Blue

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I know this has been done to death. My fresh water tank level sensor is kaput. It has a split shaft and needs replacing.

Extensive searching of the forum and interwebs has not revealed a part number or supplier for the new and improved stainless part.

Has anyone got any info or links please.

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this has been done to death. My fresh water tank level sensor is kaput. It has a split shaft and needs replacing.

Extensive searching of the forum and interwebs has not revealed a part number or supplier for the new and improved stainless part.

Has anyone got any info or links please.

Many thanks

Contact the Forum Shop.

I am in the middle of trying to repair mine, more out of curiosity than anything. I have it in pieces and can see why it doesn't work so it seems technically fixable but it might be financially more sensible to just get a new one..

Part number is I believe : 7E7 068 257 B

I am in the middle of trying to repair mine, more out of curiosity than anything. I have it in pieces and can see why it doesn't work so it seems technically fixable but it might be financially more sensible to just get a new one..

Part number is I believe : 7E7 068 257 B

Curiosity almost got me. I imagine the inside is 3 resistors and 3 switches. Replace the tube and should be good? Thanks for the p/n.

4 resistors and 3 switches actually :)

Excuse terrible picture - and the mess of blue silicon that you have to cut and peel away.

IMG_20200910_130421567_HDR.jpg

In case anyone is interested, there are 3 reed switches giving 4 possible positions of the sensor (none, 1,2 and 3). They are activated by the magnet in the float passing by and the awkward part is they latch as the magnet passes by. This has been achieved by using a miniscule magnet stuck at one end of the reed so that it "sticks" as the magnet passes in one direction and unlocks as it goes the other.

The problems seems to be twofold. Firstly the plastic (on the old model sensor) tube splits, lets in water and the water shorts out the circuit causing the resistance to be unexpected.

Secondly the reeds themselves eventually get magnetised so that the latch/unlatch operation doesn't work cleanly.

Thirdly the reeds are fragile - one of mine was broken but impossible to say if that was shattered before or after I took it apart. The stainless tube I would wager is a better bet for at least two reasons.

The resistors are in parallel so as the float slides it brings more than 1 resistor into the circuit.

I am pondering getting a bunch of latching reeds (i.e. ones from the factory designed to latch as the magnet goes past as opposed to creating my own with a cheap reed and gluing a magnet to the end in the hopefully correct point) to see if I can fix it, but I them have the problem of putting it in a waterproof tube so it is becoming more of a bodge every day :)

4 resistors and 3 switches actually :)

Excuse terrible picture - and the mess of blue silicon that you have to cut and peel away.

View attachment 66622

In case anyone is interested, there are 3 reed switches giving 4 possible positions of the sensor (none, 1,2 and 3). They are activated by the magnet in the float passing by and the awkward part is they latch as the magnet passes by. This has been achieved by using a miniscule magnet stuck at one end of the reed so that it "sticks" as the magnet passes in one direction and unlocks as it goes the other.

The problems seems to be twofold. Firstly the plastic (on the old model sensor) tube splits, lets in water and the water shorts out the circuit causing the resistance to be unexpected.

Secondly the reeds themselves eventually get magnetised so that the latch/unlatch operation doesn't work cleanly.

Thirdly the reeds are fragile - one of mine was broken but impossible to say if that was shattered before or after I took it apart. The stainless tube I would wager is a better bet for at least two reasons.

The resistors are in parallel so as the float slides it brings more than 1 resistor into the circuit.

I am pondering getting a bunch of latching reeds (i.e. ones from the factory designed to latch as the magnet goes past as opposed to creating my own with a cheap reed and gluing a magnet to the end in the hopefully correct point) to see if I can fix it, but I them have the problem of putting it in a waterproof tube so it is becoming more of a bodge every day :)

Nice one Steve. I can’t help but think it is a poorly designed part in the first place. Hopefully the updated version is better.

Where can you buy replacement sensors? Is it only VW?

Back