Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge - am I expecting too much?

P

Pd.

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I'm new to the California life but have been using a converted land rover for may years of over landing and more general camping around europe. As we are now retired we wanted something a bit more comfortable including not having to clamber up to the roof to sleep. Hence we brought our SE last year but unfortunately has had little use but many more years to come hopefully. Mean while I continue to buy things for my new baby, make slight modifications and investigate other changes that I can consider from the vast array of information on knowledge on the forum.

My question is am I expecting too much from the fridge in the SE? my only comparison I have is with the engal fridge in my land rover (which I still have) and due to lock down is being used as an additional freezer very happily on setting 2-3, although its normally used as a fridge on setting 0.5 -1. The fridge in the SE never seems to maintain a steady temperature and requires a high setting to deliver even the temperature I am expecting for food storage around 3-5 degrees. I therefore did some tests using max/min thermometer of internal and external temperatures over a period of 3 days on both mains and hookup the battery results are shown below for hook up.

During the test period which I except is not very scientific the fridge was not opened and was left empty. It failed to even start cooling unless on level 5. The cooler side was pointing NNE so little solar impact on the cooling element (I hope).

1590585071128.png

The results to me would seem to suggest that I need to operate the fridge at level 6 to achieve a reasonable temperate to safely store food which I don't feel is right. I have read much on the forums giving great advice regarding adding freezer packs, switching on before first use and freezing water bottles all things that I would carry out/consider prior to a trip but even so it just doesn't feel right - or am I just expecting too much?

On the plus size my batteries seem to be in good condition.

Any thoughts or comments or suggestions gratefully appreciated. If the opinion is that its not right then my next call would be to contact Penguin reconsideration.

Thank you in advance for your advice Ian (Pd)

We also have an Engel, like you it was a carryover from our overland vehicle. We take it with us for frozen food and use the call as a fridge only but only need level 4-5 once the food is cold. Liquids take a lot of energy to cool down so we normally pre-cool stuff in the house fridge and transfer over then the call fridge normally copes.

One thing that does improve the fridge is circulation, so we have some plastic frost guards at the bottom and on the rear side.
1590590267814.png

Last edited:
Level 3 is generally sufficient on my T6 Ocean.

Make sure the basket doesn’t block the vent. Its on the right hand side of the fridge.
Place basket on opposite side, to aid circulation.

+ Loz, thanks for the advice - thing that does improve the fridge is circulation, so we have some plastic grates at the bottom and on the rear side.

I have these as well but didn't mention as the fridge is empty. My main concern is keeping it cool as a fridge rather than a freezer maybe I need to 3/4 fill with chilled water and test again.

I'm new to the California life but have been using a converted land rover for may years of over landing and more general camping around europe. As we are now retired we wanted something a bit more comfortable including not having to clamber up to the roof to sleep. Hence we brought our SE last year but unfortunately has had little use but many more years to come hopefully. Mean while I continue to buy things for my new baby, make slight modifications and investigate other changes that I can consider from the vast array of information on knowledge on the forum.

My question is am I expecting too much from the fridge in the SE? my only comparison I have is with the engal fridge in my land rover (which I still have) and due to lock down is being used as an additional freezer very happily on setting 2-3, although its normally used as a fridge on setting 0.5 -1. The fridge in the SE never seems to maintain a steady temperature and requires a high setting to deliver even the temperature I am expecting for food storage around 3-5 degrees. I therefore did some tests using max/min thermometer of internal and external temperatures over a period of 3 days on both mains and hookup the battery results are shown below for hook up.

During the test period which I except is not very scientific the fridge was not opened and was left empty. It failed to even start cooling unless on level 5. The cooler side was pointing NNE so little solar impact on the cooling element (I hope).

View attachment 59907

The results to me would seem to suggest that I need to operate the fridge at level 6 to achieve a reasonable temperate to safely store food which I don't feel is right. I have read much on the forums giving great advice regarding adding freezer packs, switching on before first use and freezing water bottles all things that I would carry out/consider prior to a trip but even so it just doesn't feel right - or am I just expecting too much?

Any thoughts or comments or suggestions gratefully appreciated. If the opinion is that its not right then my next call would be to contact Penguin reconsideration.

Hi Ian, I can only judge by my fridge....
- usually set at 2, everything nice/cold
- highest ever set at 4, fridge full, Spain at 40+ deg and beer on the bottom freezes.

Can only suggest;
-long enough lead time to get cold (your chart would suggest ok!)
- something blocking an air tight closure?
- function of motor/coolant?

Hope someone more knowledgeable can help....

View attachment 59907

1. Where are you measuring the temperature?

2. Is the lid closed correctly - the catch should click outwards when properly closed.

3. The heat exchanger is the rear wall of the fridge.

Rarely have to run my 5 yr old fridge above 4 to give a temperature mid-position of between -0.5 to + 3.5.

If I run on 6 the Tonic freezes.

We also have an Engel, like you it was a carryover from our overland vehicle. We take it with us for frozen food and use the call as a fridge only but only need level 4-5 once the food is cold. Liquids take a lot of energy to cool down so we normally pre-cool stuff in the house fridge and transfer over then the call fridge normally copes.

One thing that does improve the fridge is circulation, so we have some plastic frost guards at the bottom and on the rear side.
View attachment 59913
Hi Loz, where did you get your frost guards from please ? Nick.

Ours works well on level 3 or 4 but no higher, even at that setting you have to be careful about vegetables and salads touching the back. We use a piece of corrugated plastic sheet to stop things touching the back, an estate agents board cut to size would work.
But isn't the forum a wonderful place for information. After 6 years of Cali ownership I was oblivious to the existence of frost guards which will be on my shopping list when we eventually venture out after CV 19.Very impressed with the test chart Pd
Thanks for the info on frost guards Loz.

Hi Loz, where did you get your frost guards from please ? Nick.

Hi Nick&Sara, I'm sure Loz will respond but in the meantime his frost guards look like mine which cam from VW Camper shop in Holland, not cheap for what they are. A search on the forum will show other methods used by members. This site is a real gem of information.

The rear wall one is €27 the bottom one €24 but is out of stock.

Hope it helps Ian

Reactions: Loz
1. Where are you measuring the temperature?

2. Is the lid closed correctly - the catch should click outwards when properly closed.

3. The heat exchanger is the rear wall of the fridge.

Rarely have to run my 5 yr old fridge above 4 to give a temperature mid-position of between -0.5 to + 3.5.

If I run on 6 the Tonic freezes.

Thanks for the advice WelshGas, in answer to your questions please see below

1. The temperature is being measured in the middle of the fridge using a remote probe hanging from the basket that is sitting on the floor. I cross checked its accuracy with our home fridges.

2. I try the lid each time and agree that it is easy to be fooled into thinking that it is latched when indeed it isn't.

Out of interest I looked at the heat loss with the lid clipped shut and with it just ajar and the difference was very small, if at all. A slight opening of the lid 1mm approx did however show a change of temperature around the lid area. I used a thermal vision camera for this which I was lucky enough to have.

I would have expected that a setting of 3 or 4 would be adequate

Hi Ian, I can only judge by my fridge....
- usually set at 2, everything nice/cold
- highest ever set at 4, fridge full, Spain at 40+ deg and beer on the bottom freezes.

Can only suggest;
-long enough lead time to get cold (your chart would suggest ok!)
- something blocking an air tight closure?
- function of motor/coolant?

Hope someone more knowledgeable can help....

Thanks for the reply Ron,

my thoughts are that it might be a coolant problem. I'm intending to carry out more testing over the weekend with boxes and plastic containers to try and simulate a reasonable full fridge with frost guards in place and run the tests again . I'll update on here when I have done so. Pd

Hi Nick&Sara, I'm sure Loz will respond but in the meantime his frost guards look like mine which cam from VW Camper shop in Holland, not cheap for what they are. A search on the forum will show other methods used by members. This site is a real gem of information.

The rear wall one is €27 the bottom one €24 but is out of stock.

Hope it helps Ian
I got similar from a cheap shop that sold general goods, storage boxes, cheap plastic items etc. . It was for a draining board. 2 x £1 and easily cut to exact size.

Normally we keep ours on 3 but if you put it on MAX it will freeze 2 litre bottles of water (Outside wall) and keep food frozen on the bottom for a week. Nothing nicer that a Bottle of Frozen water in Bed with you when its 30 degrees at night. My wife tends to be a bit too warm.

Normally we keep ours on 3 but if you put it on MAX it will freeze 2 litre bottles of water (Outside wall) and keep food frozen on the bottom for a week. Nothing nicer that a Bottle of Frozen water in Bed with you when its 30 degrees at night. My wife tends to be a bit too warm.
If mine was I didn't cool it that way :happy

Cheap alternative frost guards for the fridge: see post 44: The fight against water in the fridge

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

When we first had our Cali we had the fridge on 4 conscious of not draining batteries.
Then we moved it up to 5 as most of the time we have overnighters and like to keep drinks and glasses nice and cold.
Now we have our ice machine installed :bananadance2 we run it at 6 to make and maintain our ice.
If we want to make ice faster or Keep our Ice creams frozen we run it on MAX temporarily.
With the super sunny weather the last few weeks our 100w solar panel has more than kept up with the Fridge draw. Yesterday we had it on MAX and the solar controller was on float for 96% of the time.

Some of your ambient temps look quite high eg 37,38,39 etc guessing you may have all the doors and windows closed. Also an empty fridge is more likely to be quite variable than a full one.

Impressed with your Fridge temp stats love all that kind of stuff. We only have a £3 LCD display with probe but it does the job and is there permanently. I believe other Cali members have a Bluetooth device to monitor fridge temps.
Over the last five years of Cali life we have not found we need frost guards as we like to have the Maximum amount of space available.
@Pd. Welcome to the forum and California life.

20200519_092602.jpg

Last edited:
When we first had our Cali we had the fridge on 4 conscious of not draining batteries.
Then we moved it up to 5 as most of the time we have overnighters and like to keep drinks and glasses nice and cold.
Now we have our ice machine installed :bananadance2 we run it at 6 to make and maintain our ice.
If we want to make ice faster or Keep our Ice creams frozen we run it on MAX temporarily.
With the super sunny weather the last few weeks our 100w solar panel has more than kept up with the Fridge draw. Yesterday we had it on MAX and the solar controller was on float for 96% of the time.

Some of your ambient temps look quite high eg 37,38,39 etc guessing you may have all the doors and windows closed. Also an empty fridge is more likely to be quite variable than a full one.

Impressed with your Fridge temp stats love all that kind of stuff. We only have a £3 LCD display with probe but it does the job and is there permanently. I believe other Cali members have a Bluetooth device to monitor fridge temps.
Over the last five years of Cali life we have not found we need frost guards as we like to have the Maximum amount of space available.

View attachment 59986
Thank you for the advice and the welcome. I intend to carry out the tests again today having frozen some bottled water over night and then stock it with boxes and paper in an attempt to simulate actual conditions, i'll post my results.

You are correct that the measurements are taken inside with the windows etc closed.
Pd

View attachment 59986
Sorry, what is your "ice machine" ???

What is the purpose of a Fridge Guard ? Thanks
On the base to keep contents out of any water that might condense out and pool/collect in the base.
On the back wall, where the heat exchanger is, to prevent stuff freezing to the wall and also to allow air circulation and improve efficiency.