Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

using the fridge as a freezer

M

Manus

great forum, so useful! we have been using the fridge as a freezer and taking cool blocks out to keep a cool box cold. IMO the fridge is a bad shape in an awkward place but excellent for a freezer. anyway the freezer has stopped working as a freezer (now achieving 0 at best the control panel is set to minus 18) and the van centre say it is only a fridge and depends on ambient temperature etc... after 8 days they had a local fridge guy look at it and he advised them that it was working okay! I wondered if anyone else has had this problem or if their fridges were still working down to -18 as was the case til about 6 months ago. any help would be very welcome, thanks

manus, silver 2009, prefacelift cali

Hi and welcome to the forum :hello

I've only just got my Cali and the settings on my fridge are from 1 - MAX with 6 settings in total

As I couldn't see the temperature of these settings I ran it on a setting of 5 the one before MAX and using a thermometer I discovered that this chilled the fridge down to +3 degrees which is perfect for chilled produce

I am unsure however just how cold it will go on MAX?

My other Waeco fridge which is the same make but not in my Cali will go down to -18 but this is a stand alone unit

I don't know what temp it will go down to but I have definitely had stuff start to freeze in it. Iceburgs in milk & that sort of stuff.
Probably will be colder if it is full.

On our 08 plate California you could effectively use the fridge as a freezer by taking the settings down to well into the minuses, you actually set did the temperature on the older model. However on the facelift model you have the numbered settings 1-5 or 6 and from experience I don't think that they will go as low as before.

We have managed to "freeze" tins of pop quite effectively! Only trouble is they split and leave everything sticky!!!

I think it could be risky to plan to use it as a freezer as I understand the internal fridge temperature also has a lot to do with the ambient temperature. Our current summer may be misleading as you could probably freezer ice blocks by just leaving them out! ffs!

Anyone coming to the New forest this weekend, can help me out with my Fridge and exactly how it works...

As I have really not got my head round the control yet? :crazy

Back