Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge running life on leisure battery

A

andrew bazeley

VIP Member
Been doing a few festivals this year, and I'm wondering if I'm getting enough "juice" to run the fridge on battery. Despite being fully charged, and setting the fridge temperature fairly high, after a little over 2 days, the display shows "50%", but this would appear to represent the total of the two batteries (the other being just for the heater), which means - in effect "0%" for the main leisure battery. Sure enough, the fridge cuts out, and even the lights begin to dim as the battery runs out.
Is this about all you should expect, or do I need to service or replace the battery?

While I'm on, 3 minor faults are niggling (early 2008 Cali): front foglights won't go off: particulate filter warning light won't go off, and turbo shutoff valve makes an embarrassing farting noise when you land and turn the engine off. Anyone else get these?

My fridge lasted nearly 4 days on the battery in France in temperature' s of 38 degree's

On a 2008 cali it's probably time to get batteries checked & maybe replace them.

My batteries last 4 days with fridge on 2. More than that & they drop. Depends on ambient temp, how full fridge is & how often it is opened. Just the same as any fridge.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Calikev said:
My fridge lasted nearly 4 days on the battery in France in temperature' s of 38 degree's

my fridge also lasts about 4 days.
Ref turbo do you leave engine running for about 5 minutes after you stop? i was told to do this on my bilbos T4 and my T5 cali

Thanks johntowers - v. interesting stuff re the turbo cooling. I wonder if that explains the noise when switching off, or if that's something completely different (the"T26 valve" according to my service centre!). I've just booked it in for investigation, but I could save a load of money if there's nothing wrong - just a question of waiting a few minutes before switching off.

Thanks to others for the responses about the fridge - I'll get them to inspect the battery too.

Turbo cooling? Is this still a problem. I thought fancy synthetic oil had eradicated the need to let the turbine slow down and circulate the oil after switch off?
I suppose its not a bad thing. I recall popping the bonnet on an RS Turbo (Mk1) after a long motorway blast..the turbo was a lovely cherry red.

Are the bearing housings on the T5 water cooled out of interest?

S.

Been reading scary stories about "earth shunt" and hope I don't have that problem!
I think I'll try a new leisure battery (the one under the seat). To save me taking it out to have a look, what's the best one to get?

We had the same problem with the fog lights staying on.
Had diagnostic done and they found the light switch was faulty.
VW Ridgeway quoted £192 to replace it.
A bit of Google-ing , I found the part and how to fit it, my husband did it himself for £25. :thumb

Yes - I got quoted a lot for the foglight switch. Now that daytime running lights are all the go, I think I'll just chance it and let them stay on on the odd occasion it happens!

We just had the light switch replaced on our new Cali because of fog lights staying on. Seems to be a common fault?
Ref the fridge we get around 3 days on average but always get lots of condensation / excess water which is a nause. Anyone experience this?

Just back from France. Ours seems to last 2 days max on 5. I'm sure we had the earth shunt problem as lights flickered and couldn't even start heater from batteries. Did the fix that is on the forum and no flickering and can start the heater from batteries. However, also believe the leisure battery under seat has been in since 2006. So now going to replace and hopefully get longer fridge time.

Back