Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge - am I expecting too much?

Ours works well on level 3 or 4 but no higher, even at that setting you have to be careful about vegetables and salads touching the back. We use a piece of corrugated plastic sheet to stop things touching the back, an estate agents board cut to size would work.
But isn't the forum a wonderful place for information. After 6 years of Cali ownership I was oblivious to the existence of frost guards which will be on my shopping list when we eventually venture out after CV 19.Very impressed with the test chart Pd
Thanks for the info on frost guards Loz.
What are frost guards and where do you put them?

Does the fridge have a thermostat or does it simply cool at a certain rate so the temperature can vary quite a bit depending on the van’s temperature? It seems odd to have a numbered setting rather than a temperature?

Does the fridge have a thermostat or does it simply cool at a certain rate so the temperature can vary quite a bit depending on the van’s temperature? It seems odd to have a numbered setting rather than a temperature?
Hi Orbital thank you for the reply.

Yes, it does have a thermostat. My understanding is that earlier models had a temperature setting rather than numbers but was changed to the number system. My engal fridge/freezer unit also has numbers 1-4 from memory but with with rotary adjustment which allow settings between numbers rather than the 1-6 and max on my cali.

I have carried out further tests with a partially filled fridge and will post these later, mean while I continue to learn.

Kind regards Ian

Hi Orbital thank you for the reply.

Yes, it does have a thermostat. My understanding is that earlier models had a temperature setting rather than numbers but was changed to the number system. My engal fridge/freezer unit also has numbers 1-4 from memory but with with rotary adjustment which allow settings between numbers rather than the 1-6 and max on my cali.

I have carried out further tests with a partially filled fridge and will post these later, mean while I continue to learn.

Kind regards Ian
It would be interesting to do the same test with the same equipment, in your domestic fridge.

It would be interesting to do the same test with the same equipment, in your domestic fridge.

Hi Wesel, just doing that at the moment testing unit in the fridge hopefully both sensors will read similarly.

Best regards Ian

I have now carried out further test results below which still cause me concern over the long term. My intention is to call Penguin Refrigeration hopefully today and seek there advice. I'll post there reply here.

My one concern is that we keep the food safe for consumption and my well consider using my Engal fridge no idea where or how yet and just use the cali fridge for drinks chilling.

1591084201268.png

I have now concluded my test and checked the probe I was using which would appear to be accurate. The final part of my testing is below.

1591707997819.png
As previously mentioned I also contacted Penguin Refrigeration and there reply below does put me ease to some degree. I have purchased a Bluetooth remote sensor which will track the temperate.

As this is not a brand of fridge we supply we can only offer basic support and trouble shooting to diagnose faults when it does not run at all or runs and does not cool. From your temperature readings it certainly seems to be working correctly as far as we can see.

Kind regards

Zeb Elliott

For now i'll just carry on and see what happens.

Thank you to everyone who contributed or offered advice it was greatly appreciated. :thanks